Loudon County Businessman Pleads Guil...

Loudon County Businessman Pleads Guilty to $1M+ Fraud

There are 10 comments on the The Knoxville News Sentinel story from Mar 23, 2009, titled Loudon County Businessman Pleads Guilty to $1M+ Fraud. In it, The Knoxville News Sentinel reports that:

A Loudon County businessman admitted today bilking a firm of at least $1 million by filing bogus job claims.

Joseph D. Brandenburg pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge Thomas Phillips to wire fraud and tax evasion.

According to a plea deal brokered between Assistant U.S. Attorney Matthew T. Morris and attorneys Donald A. Bosch and Ann Short-Bowers, Brandenburg, 37, operated Extreme Logistics, a trucking firm with clients including Bowater, TNT-General Motors and TNT-BMW.

The firm transported newsprint products for Bowater and automobiles and car parts for GM and BMW.

In March 2002, Brandenburg brokered a deal with Prime Financial Services Inc., to handle billing. Under the terms of the deal, Brandenburg submitted to Prime invoices for each haul made, and Prime would pay Brandenburg - minus Prime's fee - in advance of payments by Bradenburg's trucking clients.

According to court records, Brandenburg began in June 2004 submitting bogus invoices to Prime for hauls never made. He agreed as part of his plea deal that he cost Prime at least $1 million in losses before the scheme was discovered and hid from the IRS income of nearly $1 million.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Knoxville News Sentinel.

LANDSTARDIAMOND

Stevens, PA

#1 Mar 26, 2009
I hope he rots in prison for quite a long time. He hurt a lot of good people just trying to take care of their faimly. I am sick of the greed as he told everone he was a man of God. Far from it, I am just glad I dont have to answer for his sins.
Brandywine and T-Bone

AOL

#2 Mar 26, 2009
I have just learned that sentencing is to be in July in Loudon. Joey has been a friend for many years and my husband, at the time, worked there from right at the beginning for Extreme Logistics. I totally agree that he made one hell of a mess and needs to pay for what he did in cheating not only the IRS, etc, but for the families he left stranded, all over the U.S. and no way for them to get home. No way to get money to get them home for some as much as a couple of weeks. No money, gee, i wonder why? When he told my husband he was going to start hauling auto parts my husband at the time, started looking for another job. My husband was called to bring the truck to the yard. We saw the signs on the doors where no one could come in or out. Strange people were taking boxes and boxes of stuff out of the office. We were told to empty the truck then and there and no paychecks, stay away from the office and to go home, no questions ask. Luckily we live close by and could get home.
I have no clue what time Joey will get. It hurts to know that someone who use to work right in with the drivers on loads and was 'one of them' and wasn't a 'big whig' would eventually succumb to nothing but TOTAL GREED !!!
If anybody reads this tell Joey, he's not forgotten by far, but his dirty deeds will always be in our minds. Serve your time, get your act together and stay the hell out of trucking or anything to do where you have control. You can't deal with it!!
Brandywine and T-Bone

AOL

#3 Mar 26, 2009
LANDSTARDIAMOND wrote:
I hope he rots in prison for quite a long time. He hurt a lot of good people just trying to take care of their faimly. I am sick of the greed as he told everone he was a man of God. Far from it, I am just glad I dont have to answer for his sins.
just curious, your email sounds like you know this man personally and possibly worked for him at Extreme, am i right? we might know each other.
Christa Brandenburg

Ramseur, NC

#4 Jul 20, 2014
You all need to know the whole story this is my dad for one your talking about and guess what he didn't rot in prison he's out living his life with his kids his wife and his grand babies why are u pointing fingers at my dad? Others had a hand in this and let me tell y'all I know y'all are all cowards u can't even post it real name my dad is an awesome man a awesome man I just ran across this so I had to comment which he'd tell me to shut my mouth btw my dad didn't leave them stranded u idiotic hag Volvo got each driver home good god u don't want to say that do ya?? You all are sick and pathetic my dad paid his debt to society y'all got ur money so go on with ur bull crap live ur petty life I was 16 when this happened I had to watch my little brother cry every night because of idiots like u going to the news crew and coming to his ball games being cruel to my dad I will say one thing Joey Brandenburg is my dad and I'm darn proud of it he made sure his drivers were home every holiday and when that idiot that worked in the office wife had cancer my dad paid for him to take the week off he bought many of their families Christmas he paid their bills I remember three drivers coming over needing their electric paid my dad wrote them a check there on the spot what about that? My dad is a godly man and I can tell u he took the blame for others people stupidity he may have done some but others did too so y'all have a nice night sorry wasn't gonna let everyone bash my daddy n no one stand up for him but guess what he didn't rot prison was awesome we'll hate to burst ur bubble he wasn't in a prison he was not even in a cell haha bet that kills u don't it he went to a base camp on a golf course actually he quit smoking their lead a lot of ppl to The Lord actual kinda like a mini vacation we got to see him face to face every weekend the place he stayed had a microwave like a dorm room actually his own shower etc that kills y'all don't it oh we'll I know u were wanting him to do some hard time but where he went is where god seen fit and also his dad my papaw his dad passed away while he was there so I think he's been punished enough but I love my family is so important y'all think of us a lot btw my dad says howdie
Christa Brandenburg

Ramseur, NC

#5 Jul 20, 2014
Brandywine and T-Bone wrote:
I have just learned that sentencing is to be in July in Loudon. Joey has been a friend for many years and my husband, at the time, worked there from right at the beginning for Extreme Logistics. I totally agree that he made one hell of a mess and needs to pay for what he did in cheating not only the IRS, etc, but for the families he left stranded, all over the U.S. and no way for them to get home. No way to get money to get them home for some as much as a couple of weeks. No money, gee, i wonder why? When he told my husband he was going to start hauling auto parts my husband at the time, started looking for another job. My husband was called to bring the truck to the yard. We saw the signs on the doors where no one could come in or out. Strange people were taking boxes and boxes of stuff out of the office. We were told to empty the truck then and there and no paychecks, stay away from the office and to go home, no questions ask. Luckily we live close by and could get home.
I have no clue what time Joey will get. It hurts to know that someone who use to work right in with the drivers on loads and was 'one of them' and wasn't a 'big whig' would eventually succumb to nothing but TOTAL GREED !!!
If anybody reads this tell Joey, he's not forgotten by far, but his dirty deeds will always be in our minds. Serve your time, get your act together and stay the hell out of trucking or anything to do where you have control. You can't deal with it!!
haha ur a joke my dad says hi and were all laughing at u my dad didn't forget where he came from u witch he wasn't Greedy either he helped so many people as I stated before but he did his time and ur a freaking joke and guess what he is back and doing better than ever does that kill u he's born to be successful he is doing his own thing again however he's quit cautious now who he allows as his sidekicks like the other part owners of the company may I remind u Chris and the hays brothers they plaid a big role in this ur a joke my dad would smack me for even writing on this but ur a joke and I'd like to meet u face to face and let that crap about my dad come out of ur mouth I've had to deal with u jack butts for years and seen the he and lies I've put him thru if like one min with u alone just one
Christa Brandenburg

Ramseur, NC

#6 Jul 20, 2014
LANDSTARDIAMOND wrote:
guess what he didn't rot hahahahaha
You are an idiot

Loudon, TN

#7 Jul 20, 2014
A convicted felon who served 4 years in prison obviously committed crimes and for you to try assign blame to other people is nuts. Your dad is a common criminal, thief and a liar and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Little girl crawl back under your white trash rock and shut the fuuck up.
glen

Lemont, IL

#8 Jul 21, 2014
You are an idiot wrote:
A convicted felon who served 4 years in prison obviously committed crimes and for you to try assign blame to other people is nuts. Your dad is a common criminal, thief and a liar and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Little girl crawl back under your white trash rock and shut the fuuck up.
Billing for 'ghost loads" is nothing new in the trucking industry. If your have an agent or owner that can get advances on loads that never happened a lot of money can pass hands. It is a wonder to me that Prime did not discover this fraud a lot sooner. I would have to look for someone in their accounting department that helped cover up this mess. Some years ago Mercer Transportation out of Louisville. Ky. had an agent in the Gary, Ind. area pull off this same scheme. However, they were only billed for a few loads before he was caught. Brandenburg is lucky in serving only four years in jail. A crime of this sort should get you at least 10 years because it involves interstate transportation even though there was no actual loads. The key is the original freight which is the same as cash. Banks and transport clearing houses will pay, as Prime did, cash on the barrel head and charge a fee for paying the bill, then they will bill the consignee for the total amount on the face of the freight bill and if the bill is bogus, that is a federal offense. Many trucking companies and business do this for cash flow.
Fat Stinky Lesbian

Salisbury, NC

#9 Jul 25, 2014
"but guess what he didn't rot prison was awesome"

Hm

Maybe your daddy can get a job teaching accounting and giving motivational speeches at the high school?
Reality Sucks

Loudon, TN

#10 Sep 3, 2014
Wow. How embarrassing for the school system. I can't believe you try to defend someone who obviously was breaking the law so blatantly.

READ the court documents - he was stealing, plain and simple. He then tried to cover it up by stealing more. Does the term "Ponzi scheme" mean anything to you ?

I understand you wanting to defend your father. You could do a much better job by learning to write, spell and use punctuation correctly.

BTW - You did notice you wrote a response to postings that are 5 years old, right ??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Loudon County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lovy Aug 14 Lovy 4
Who Are The Drug Dealers (Sep '10) Jul '16 Junkie Hater 21
Kendra Varner Jul '16 DISGUSTED 1
News Lenoir City fireworks business emphasizes safety (Jun '10) Jun '16 Redeemed 24
2nd degree murder (Jan '16) Jun '16 JCL 5
News Crime 31 mins ago 9:18 p.m.Lenoir City officer ... Jun '16 Redeemed 2
Frankie Bryant May '16 Angel 1
More from around the web