Husband of Montebello mayor arrested ...

Husband of Montebello mayor arrested on drug-related charges

There are 346 comments on the Press-Telegram story from Oct 17, 2013, titled Husband of Montebello mayor arrested on drug-related charges. In it, Press-Telegram reports that:

MONTEBELLO >> Ruben Guerrero, the husband of Montebello Mayor Christina Cortez, was arrested Thursday morning at their home on two drug-related charges.

Steve Whitmore, spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, said (Mayor Christina) Cortez wasn’t involved.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 18
Next Last
Montebello Voter

Concord, CA

#1 Oct 17, 2013
This is so embarrassing for the city of Montebello. How can this woman claim she did not know what her husband, who is living in the same house as she is did not know what he was doing. This is a test for this lady to let go and give up her role in the city so that the city can try to move forward without this bad press that she has been giving us. Christina, I hope you read this, please give up your post, and let the city move forward and try to recover from this bad press that you have been giving us.
Montebello Ex Comish

Concord, CA

#2 Oct 17, 2013
I am so embaerrased by what our city has gone through. I can't believe this lady- there is no excuse to her husbands actions. There is no way she can say she did not know. Is she did not know, she is not fit for any civil service position. If she knew, which we all know she did, she should face the facts and step down.

This women was at my sons school in St Benedict's last week talking about civil responsibility and seat belts. I don't want her speaking there anymore and I'm sure th school will do the right thing and not have her back c
Compassion for the family

Tustin, CA

#3 Oct 17, 2013
From the LA Times--

Cortez said she had not spoken to her husband since his arrest.

“I would urge everyone and the public to let this investigation take its course,” Cortez said.“As a mother, as a daughter and as an elected official, I have supported the education of understanding the dangers of drugs. Today’s events will not change that.”

In a statement, sheriff's officials said: "No one else at the locations where the search warrants were served has been implicated in the sales of narcotics."

Cortez thanked "everyone for their support today."
Compassion for the family

Tustin, CA

#4 Oct 17, 2013
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Lord Jesus Christ
Citizen

Rosemead, CA

#5 Oct 18, 2013
The Mayor hasn't brought bad press to montebello! And her husband is innocent until proven guilty! All the Mayor has done is try to end the corruption in montebello. Do you think it is right that the city's money pays for politicians' family vacations?? The mayor is just trying to do right by montebello. She's been threatened and harassed for trying to end the corruption. This could all be set up to tarnish her name.
Theolona ranger

Columbia, MO

#6 Oct 18, 2013
Cortez ending corruption in Montebello with Ku and Billie Martinez and trying to get cronies hired at city hall?
Give Me a break
Corruption was exposed by the voters in the November 2009 election and the Recall
by Molinari and Narramore and your then new finance director
Christina just used the audits and investigations for grandstanding- and it worked.
Now Christina must build a solid foundation of HER accomplishments free from all those old BAD influences
Proud MTB Homeowner

Monterey Park, CA

#7 Oct 18, 2013
I support Christina Cortez 110% she has done so much for this city... Bringing in new businesses and trying to make Montebello a new progressive city while all the other council members want to keep Montebello in the 1980's still... I also know Ruben he coached our kids and I do t believe this charge... I know Frank Gonez is behind this !!
Montebello Voter wrote:
This is so embarrassing for the city of Montebello. How can this woman claim she did not know what her husband, who is living in the same house as she is did not know what he was doing. This is a test for this lady to let go and give up her role in the city so that the city can try to move forward without this bad press that she has been giving us. Christina, I hope you read this, please give up your post, and let the city move forward and try to recover from this bad press that you have been giving us.
Proud MTB Homeowner

Monterey Park, CA

#8 Oct 18, 2013
To Montebello Ex Commish what are you doing for the city ? My son goes to St Benedict's and I want Christina to be involved ! Who are you to be judging her! She is not guilty of any wrong doing! She is trying to make MTB schools better so that we don't have to pay high tuition fees to send our kids to private school! Show your real name punk!
Montebello Ex Comish wrote:
I am so embaerrased by what our city has gone through. I can't believe this lady- there is no excuse to her husbands actions. There is no way she can say she did not know. Is she did not know, she is not fit for any civil service position. If she knew, which we all know she did, she should face the facts and step down.
This women was at my sons school in St Benedict's last week talking about civil responsibility and seat belts. I don't want her speaking there anymore and I'm sure th school will do the right thing and not have her back c
Proud MTB Homeowner

Monterey Park, CA

#9 Oct 18, 2013
I stand by Christina Cortez! I also don't like how Frank Gomez was trying to spend & waste city money for his bogus restraining order case against Ruben Guerrero . Frank Gomez is behind this as his revenge and I'm 100% sure Frank Gomez is the chemist cooking the meth and trying to sabotage Cortez. We love you Christina and support you 110% do not step down ! I live in the hills above La Merced and pay more in property taxes than Frank Gomez so if Frank if you come knocking on my door one day I will give you a piece of my mind! Again I know Frank Gomez is a chemist cooking meth and trying to plant it on poor Ruben Guerrero!
Citizen wrote:
The Mayor hasn't brought bad press to montebello! And her husband is innocent until proven guilty! All the Mayor has done is try to end the corruption in montebello. Do you think it is right that the city's money pays for politicians' family vacations?? The mayor is just trying to do right by montebello. She's been threatened and harassed for trying to end the corruption. This could all be set up to tarnish her name.
Proud MTB Homeowner

Monterey Park, CA

#10 Oct 18, 2013
I'm so upset by this situation. Frank Gomez has taken his hate to Ruben Guerrero way to far. Frank I know you cool meth and you planted this to make Ruben Guerrero look bad and hurt Christina's image. I support Christina Cortez and all the positive attributions she has done for our little city. We need to be a new progressive city ! Frank Gomez wants to keep Montebello in the 1980's and bankrupt our city! I can't wait for Frank to knock in my beautiful home door . I live north of La Merced. I have seen Frank Gomez park his Rv behind the gates of the oil wells and cool meth ... The truth will come out frank ! I'm MAD !
Recall Cristina

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Oct 18, 2013
Proud MTB Homeowner wrote:
To Montebello Ex Commish what are you doing for the city ? My son goes to St Benedict's and I want Christina to be involved ! Who are you to be judging her! She is not guilty of any wrong doing! She is trying to make MTB schools better so that we don't have to pay high tuition fees to send our kids to private school! Show your real name punk! <quoted text>
Nice, very nice comment. The feedback you provided says it all. Keep it, I'm sure this will help Cristina. Especially the "punk " threat. I'm not surprised
Recall Cristina

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Oct 18, 2013
I support Christina Cortez 110% she has done so much for this city... Bringing in new businesses and trying to make Montebello a new progressive city while all the other council members want to keep Montebello in the 1980's still... I also know Ruben he coached our kids and I do t believe this charge... I know Frank Gonez is behind this !! <quoted text>
LOL keep it up proud mtb homeowner. I agree with recall Cristina comment. You are doing Cristina no favors by your vulgar comments and threats. Not that it matters anymore. She is done. There is no way she didn't know. She's either lieing or completing ignorant. Either way it's bad.
Really Montebello

Concord, CA

#13 Oct 18, 2013
What happened yesterday was a sad thing for the family as well as the city. But lets not be stupid about this, here is no way Ruben is or should be considered a model citizen, his reputation proceeds him so he's no angel.

Strip away all the emotional comments for/or against and you walk away with he's a bad apple that time caught up with and unfortunately whether he's a drug dealer and the mayor is his wife or look at it as the mayors husband was arrested for dealing drugs it's the same thing. It makes the city look bad and as residents our office holders have a higher moral responsibility when representing their constituents.

Your telling me as a couple than one has no idea what the other is doing? What was he doing all day? How did he earn a living? 40 LA Sheriff deputies don't take someone down unless they know they got him nailed.

I'm not saying everyone else on council is crystal clean but they don't have a significant other that just got caught dealing near a school, a school where our children attend! This shows she's a poor judge of character and has overlooked his way of life this entire time
Proud MTB Homeowner

Carson, CA

#14 Oct 18, 2013
Frank we know this is you !
Recall Cristina wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice, very nice comment. The feedback you provided says it all. Keep it, I'm sure this will help Cristina. Especially the "punk " threat. I'm not surprised
Recall Cristina

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Oct 18, 2013
Frank we know this is you ! <quoted text>
LOL- you are too funny mr or mrs proud Mtb homeowner from la Merced with high taxes. Take the advice of "really Montebello"

For the record, I don't care for Frank G. I am glad he is not running. I never liked his association with ACE. Judging by your messages, you are really taking this hard. If you want to help Christina, you should stop these embarrassing blog comments. I don't agree with the mayors approach on handling business for the city, and i am entitled to respectfully disagree with her. I'm sure she is a great mother, daughter and person overall. But I expect more from our city leaders and expect her and the people she chooses to associate to be at a higher distinction.
Proud MTB Homeowner

Carson, CA

#16 Oct 18, 2013
What punk threat ? Your going to have punks in the new 900 square feet affordable housing on the hill Fool!
Recall Cristina wrote:
<quoted text>
Proud MTB Homeowner

Carson, CA

#17 Oct 18, 2013
All the punks and hang bangers will be living high and mighty on the new Cook Hills project with the 900 square feet attached homes you are in favor of... I better put my house for sale before values go down even more ... I'm outta here and this stuck in the 1980's city !
Recall Cristina wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL- you are too funny mr or mrs proud Mtb homeowner from la Merced with high taxes. Take the advice of "really Montebello"
For the record, I don't care for Frank G. I am glad he is not running. I never liked his association with ACE. Judging by your messages, you are really taking this hard. If you want to help Christina, you should stop these embarrassing blog comments. I don't agree with the mayors approach on handling business for the city, and i am entitled to respectfully disagree with her. I'm sure she is a great mother, daughter and person overall. But I expect more from our city leaders and expect her and the people she chooses to associate to be at a higher distinction.
Proud MTB Homeowner

Carson, CA

#18 Oct 18, 2013
Attention all Montebello voters and residents we need to form a strong coalition to not allow Cook properties to build 800 square foot attached homes up on our beautiful hill. The new homes should be the 2500 square feet plus for buyers that can afford to pay over $600K for a home... We need to bring wealth and educated people to our city. If we allow 800 square foot homes to be built we will attract ghetto chulos and chulas and gang bangers...the hill will turn into Maravilla Projects part 2 I urge everyone to support executive homes to be built on the hill... Thank you ! Now if anyone objects to this then let me tell you ! You are ignorant , uneducated with have no class and you will ruin Montebello and make it worse than it is . Also you are probably the people that leave baby's used diapers in the streets and allow lunch trucks to park on our neighborhood streets overnight ! I'm Not prejudice but yes I want to live in a clean city so don't ridicule me for wanting to live a clean lifestyle and not in a dirty roach infested home .... Stop inviting gang bangers to our city I'm tired of it
Ex-MTB

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Oct 18, 2013
It finally happened. The trash that Christina and her family are is out.
Recall Cristina

Los Angeles, CA

#20 Oct 18, 2013
All the punks and hang bangers will be living high and mighty on the new Cook Hills project with the 900 square feet attached homes you are in favor of... I better put my house for sale before values go down even more ... I'm outta here and this stuck in the 1980's city ! <quoted text>
This is awesome! Your IQ is clearly coming across with your response, keep it up you're doing a great job In demonstrating the right people for Montebello. Please don't stop keep it up. Your choice of words clearly show the type of person you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Angeles County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Diddy' won't face felony assault charges Jul 3 Schnooki 1
News Harbor-UCLA Medical Center cited for safety vio... (Oct '11) Jun 29 Raj Chanani 3
News Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control empl... Jun 28 Resident 1
News New Census figures show nation is following Los... Jun 25 Bama Yankee 1
News Vehicle goes over edge of Glendora Mountain Road (Nov '10) Jun 21 Touge pursuit 19
News Parking rules for RVs tighten (Jan '08) Jun 12 rv lover 51
News James Bond and Pussy Galore are to be reunited ... Jun '15 Mr Doom 2
More from around the web