Little glamour in L.A., "gang capital...

Little glamour in L.A., "gang capital of America"

There are 13 comments on the Reuters story from Feb 8, 2007, titled Little glamour in L.A., "gang capital of America". In it, Reuters reports that:

By Jill SerjeantLOS ANGELES - They call themselves the Bounty Hunters, the Midget Locos, Project Gangster Blood and China Town Boyz and most of them don't expect to live beyond age 20.Forty years after the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

Armando

Shasta, CA

#1 Feb 8, 2007
Young gang members need to do hard time in the juvenile system. I am not saying that we should abuse them, but they need to understand, at a young age, that being incarcerated shouldn't be a day in Disneyland! The department of justice is currently doing a study into the juvenile detention system, and they are choosing not to hold these young criminals responsible for their own actions. I don't think we should give up on them, but they should pay for their own actions, especially for being involved in gang activity! What about the RIGHTS of law abiding citizens!
desert rat

Lancaster, CA

#2 Feb 8, 2007
Does anyone realize that gangs have existed for centuries? The early part of the 20th century had mafiosos. The sadness and reality is that many of these gang bangers are brought up to be in a gang.
Haven't you all been at a mal where you see a baby in a stroller all decked out like a miniature gang banger? There are also many white supremacist gang, asian and those from other countries.
Why the sudden hoopla and glamour given to these young punks? The school system is not cranking out scientist, doctors or lawyers (these are imported), but instead the schools are infested by thugs that will eventually wind up dead of in the overcrowded prison system.
Send these thugs to Iraq and see how courageous they 'd be fighting for a good cause (per Pres. Bush). Let these gang bangers get rid of their angst while fighting in a real war, thus saving innocent US loyal soldiers lives.
desert rat

Lancaster, CA

#3 Feb 8, 2007
Armando wrote:
Young gang members need to do hard time in the juvenile system. I am not saying that we should abuse them, but they need to understand, at a young age, that being incarcerated shouldn't be a day in Disneyland! The department of justice is currently doing a study into the juvenile detention system, and they are choosing not to hold these young criminals responsible for their own actions. I don't think we should give up on them, but they should pay for their own actions, especially for being involved in gang activity! What about the RIGHTS of law abiding citizens!
I believe that these gang members should pay their debt to society by being sent to fight in IRAQ. Not only would they get rid of the angst, but save law abiding tax payers a whole lot of money as well as allow President Bush to save his reputation. These thugs already know how to kill so why waste the expense on incarceration (the prison system is already brook and overcrowded). I would like this in order to save the lives of so many law abiding soldiers. Just the challenge would be interesting- are gang members really that courageous or just punks that pick on innocent unarmed prey?
I do not believe the juvenile justice system has the means to rehabilitate such rotten apples.
gangsterhater

Miami, FL

#4 Feb 9, 2007
"most of them don't expect to live beyond age 20"

Sounds good to me.

Since: Feb 07

Pasadena, CA

#5 Feb 9, 2007
Niiiice, the hate grows strong inside of you, come to the dark side of the force.

I live in Echo Park and the gangs here are mostly MS13 who run guns, drugs, and people throughout the world. They have been helping terrorist organizations for years including AL Queda. Sending them to Iraq is a terrible idea unless you want to help out the other side. Next time do some research before you post so you don't come across as someone trying to help out the enemy in Iraq.
BetterIdea

Waukegan, IL

#6 Feb 9, 2007
Instead of sending them to Iraq, why not send them to Washington DC with AK-47's to clean house. They can take over the US Government like the original Colonists who landed on Plymouth Rock fleaing an overly repressive third world country, California. I never thought i'd be 18 and was never in a gang, but when you grow up in the asshole of the universe, El Monte, CA, you just learn to adapt. They should make a giant toilet paper manufacturing plant there to supply the world. When people dress in certain clothes that doesn't always mean that they're gangbangers, if everyone you saw wearing a Dodgers cap were a Dodger they'd probably have to build a bigger stadium.
Derek

Beverly Hills, CA

#7 Feb 9, 2007
I was robbed at gunpoint by a gang banger in mwhat I thought was my safe West Hollywood neighborhood. A part of me changed forever that day. I get some kind of grim satisfaction in knowing my attacker probably won't live out the next five years. He got away, but he's probably dead already. Oh well.
pmac

Clearfield, UT

#9 Feb 11, 2007
First off I am a member of a minority....stop stroking these misfits. Parents... bring back corporal punishment into your homes. Per the Bible"bend a sapling while it is young, spare the rod spoil the child." Those that don't want to participate in learning at school kick them out to stay with the parents and let them put up the little darlings...until such time as the child wants to learn if never then so be it. Forcing them to stay in school for government head count is why we have a graduation classes full of morons.

When a young offender gets caught say..spray paining on public property make him clean it up along with his parents. I'll bet then they will take some responsibility regarding the whereaabouts of their children.

Stop making juvie and jail more comfortable than the surroundings they left. Remove all computers, TV's magazines, smoking, weights, etc. Bring back bread, water and grule. Make prisions a place they would rather die than return to. Make it a place of learning the basic 3 R's and old fashion morals and manners something that has been lost for many generations. As for sending them to Irag?? What and teach them to kill with skill and sleath no thank you.
john

Azusa, CA

#10 Feb 11, 2007
PocketWookie your wrong about ms13 in echo park moron theres 3 other gangs there and alquada DOESNOT work with MS or any other socal gangs, its never been proven, so your actually the one spewing false info and why does it say you live in Whittier ca NOT echo park what a FAKE you are!

Pasadena, CA

#11 Feb 11, 2007
john wrote:
PocketWookie your wrong about ms13 in echo park moron theres 3 other gangs there and alquada DOESNOT work with MS or any other socal gangs, its never been proven, so your actually the one spewing false info and why does it say you live in Whittier ca NOT echo park what a FAKE you are!
God these boards are easy...

NYC, New York

#12 Feb 11, 2007
Armando wrote:
Damn right! Amen to that!
Cynthia

United States

#13 Feb 13, 2007
This is only an opinion: I believe the main reason that the state has tolerated gang life in California was to oppress lower class citizens so we would eventually kill each other off. The police know where the local gangs exist, they know who the leaders are, etc. But when these minority terrorists start blowing away innocent victims and start attacking our babies for no reason then we wake up and cry in outrage! It’s about time we the people started getting sincerely angry but don’t go after the gangsters….go after the system that supports it. Protest, complain and take a stand.
eddie t

United States

#14 May 8, 2007
just wanna say that the gang life is inevitable in the sense that there will always be people willing to live and die 4 that lifestyle to the fullest.i wish there was a way to end it all but logically thinking,there is not.tghe best thing to do is just live your life the best way u know how and just remember whatever god has in store 4 u is going to happened no matter what u do or dont do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Angeles County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police fatally shoot knife-wielding man in Bell 2 hr concerned res 3
News All gay and bisexual men should get meningitis ... 20 hr Mark Mark 8
News Warnings of meningococcal disease among SoCal g... Wed Frankie Rizzo 9
News The Latest: California fire drives people from ... Wed marke 2
Lenet Pacheco and Ricardo Pacheco are being Sued Jul 25 Stop Political Abuse 1
Ricardo Pacheco Accused of Physical and Mental ... Jul 25 Court Time 2
Baldwin Park Mayor Lozano Helps Gay Lover Sergi... Jul 25 Lozano Cortupt 1
More from around the web