Livingston County Schools of indiffer...

Livingston County Schools of indifference and neglect

Posted in the Livingston County Forum

MWagner

Lansing, MI

#1 Feb 23, 2009
I have some questions as a concerned parent of a student in a Livingston County, Michigan Public school. I understand that teachers and administrators have unions to look out for their best interest. I also understand that special needs students have organizations and laws to protect, advocate, and look out for them. But who looks out for the typical student and concerened parents? Where does a parent turn when they get no results from the assistant principle, goes to the principle, gets handed off to the assistant superintendent, sees no results, has a meeting with the superintendent, and gets told they can appeal to the school board committee, who in turn is just going to aggree with all the other posture they just got going up the line? Is there a committee or organization that is not in the back pocket of the public school system that a parent can turn to when a Michigan Public School does wrong? Is everybody just afraid of the Machine? WHO CAN BE THE VOICE OF THE PARENTS AND STUDENTS, WHEN ONE VOICE WONT BE HEARD?

How does a school get away with suspending a student 100 times without looking into what the problem is with the student OR, why there is a problem in the first place?(I am not speaking of suspensions for fighting or bad behavior either) How does a teacher give a suspended student a failing grade on a paper, when the homework was not given to the student before suspension? And how can that failing grade be justified when the school wont give the parent a reason for the failing grade, or let the student or parent even see the final graded paper when asked for it? And why, when a concerened parent does try to get involved,are they are only met with posture and finger pointing? How can an administrator send an e-mail to all of a students teachers, and office staff, calling the student a manipulator and telling them not to let student out of class, or accept passes for any reason,because the student needs to go to the bathroom, or see the counselor, without letting the parent know there is a problem in the first place? How is that justified? When did it become acceptable for administrators to do whatever they please to a student without contacting a parent? When did it become acceptable for public schools to do ONLY what is required under the LAW? When did the public schools stop caring, and how did parents and lawmakers let it happen? These are not just what-ifs, these are actual things that happened to my own child at the hands of the ones in power in a Livingston County, Michigan Public School.

When the line between what is right, and what is wrong become so skewed, that a parent has absolutley no say, or voice in what goes on in their students life at school. And when did the general public quit caring what happens at public schools as long as there is not blood shed involved? Why are students not in school learning? Who holds these people accountable? The School Board? Nonsense! Nobody does! We have turned a blind eye to what happens in our Public Schools! If a parent has a concern they want investigated, who do they turn to?
DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY ANSWERS AT ALL?
Sincerely, Michele L. Wagner
[email protected]
Ron Miner

Whitmore Lake, MI

#2 Feb 24, 2009
Hi Michele,

I don't know if this helps but John was having a lot of problems last year and I ran into a lot of the same things you describe. I would call the school, and without explaining anything to whoever answers the phone ask to directly speak to the school counselor. Within a couple days I had a meeting with the counselor and he addressed the problems right away. Try it and let me know what happened.

Ron
MWagner

Jackson, MI

#3 Feb 25, 2009
The counselor does not help when you are complaining about her bosses! She is right there with them!
Tonya Castle

Evansville, WI

#4 Mar 8, 2009
There is a place called C.A.U.S.E. they will help you they are advocates..I used them years back for my daugter..She ended up emotionally impaired because of the same stuff your going through. They label the child and then the child gives up..Fight them..They are more responsible then you think. They just don't tell you that.Hope this helps..You should be able to find the # online.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Livingston County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctor will go to trial in new case (Nov '14) Jul 23 jon my ass 2
News Court Docket: Man gets jail for taking charity ... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Disgusted 3
sheriff deputies (Jul '14) Jul '14 elmer johnson 1
News Armed invasion suspect arraigned (Jun '14) Jun '14 Debrah Escobedo 2
News 'This is ... bulls***' free speech rally to sup... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Rene 1
News $16.7M jail plan gets green light (May '14) May '14 Lamont Jewels 1
News Casteel found guilty on all counts in freeway s... (Jan '14) Jan '14 kev 1
More from around the web