As wild pet ban dies, state declares ...

As wild pet ban dies, state declares exotic animal amnesty

There are 6 comments on the Stamford Advocate story from May 29, 2009, titled As wild pet ban dies, state declares exotic animal amnesty. In it, Stamford Advocate reports that:

Legislation that would have banned a long list of wild and potentially dangerous animals as pets has failed in the General Assembly this year because lawmakers from Litchfield County want to protect a family-owned farm that has several elephants.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Stamford Advocate.

david french

San Diego, CA

#1 May 30, 2009
As usual our state legislators are not the smartest people in the room. Ban all exotic animals in areas over a certain population density, that will allow people who run a business in a rural area to keep working like the Commerfords. Also in your story you might explain who 'grandfathered' the chimp in Stamford as a local celebrity. Specifically their name as the chimp attacked a police officer 5 years ago. It probably had more to do with city towing contracts than anything.
Jewel

West Hartford, CT

#2 May 30, 2009
I am baffled as to the continued willingness of the lawmakers from Goshen to protect Commerford's operation. The man has a list of USDA cited Animal Welfare Act violations as long as my arm. I would like to hear from one lawmaker who sees those elephants outside, ever (except when they are at a fair, being used to give rides!). The fencing around the place would not hold an elephant,. Nor have I ever spoken with anyone who has ever seen them outside. Those poor animals lead pathetic lives, and I wonder what it is that makes these lawmakers think this family should ever get another elephant. Disgusting.
Frijoles

Hebron, CT

#3 May 30, 2009
Jewel wrote:
I am baffled as to the continued willingness of the lawmakers from Goshen to protect Commerford's operation. The man has a list of USDA cited Animal Welfare Act violations as long as my arm. I would like to hear from one lawmaker who sees those elephants outside, ever (except when they are at a fair, being used to give rides!). The fencing around the place would not hold an elephant,. Nor have I ever spoken with anyone who has ever seen them outside. Those poor animals lead pathetic lives, and I wonder what it is that makes these lawmakers think this family should ever get another elephant. Disgusting.
If that is the case, send a copy of the violations to the press, as well as to the legislators. Unless you go public, no one will ever care.
LOL

Howell, NJ

#4 May 30, 2009
What I would like to know is why this is such a big deal. As far as I can see the woman who owns the chimp a called her friend to help her with her chimp. The friend did this before and knew the chimp had some issues. She assumed the risk by going over there to begin with. I really don't feel sorry for her. If someone would have told the owner that her chimp is her prolem, it might have had a new home a long time ago. This is just a waste of time, all because of one person getting attacked. Banning tarantulas and scorpions? We have had no problems with them in this state, ever. They cannot breed here if they got out. Many of these bills are masterbatory at their very best. You can not stop someone from doing something, you can only punish them after the next accident. All this posturing is just lawmakers attempting to look like they are actually trying to do something. And what does the zoo plan on doing with all the animals from amnesty day? They can barely afford to keep the doors open. How many peole are going to show up if they thing the animal is going to be killed? George Dancho needs to look into his own staff's pets before he starts throwing stones. One of he ran a reptile show that was kept in gross conditions at a pet shop in West Haven (Slither and Swim, I've gone there more than once to find dead reptiles for sale). The big snakes were always crawling in their own feces. Which brings me to my point, if the state can't keep up after the shops, how are they going to enforce this? Find a better way to spend our time and money Connecticut!!! We have actual homeless people to deal with, people that this country owes the greatest debit to. Why isn't THAT on the front page?
From Queens

Corona, NY

#5 May 31, 2009
Jewel: it all about money
tylaro7

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Jun 1, 2009
i think people should have some paper to have those animals in the house.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Litchfield County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Snow to keep falling across Southwestern Connec... Mar '16 Samuels Furnace Man 3
News Region under tornado watch (Sep '12) Sep '12 American Gentlema... 2
News Conn. AG has questions about NY nuclear plant (Jun '12) Jun '12 America Gentleman... 3
News Power Is Coming Back On In Connecticut (Dec '08) Nov '11 Lyza 4
News Rell fights back tears during her farewell address (Dec '10) Dec '10 A Baker 8
News Tornado watch issued for Fairfield and Litchfie... (Sep '10) Sep '10 America Gentleman... 1
News Litchfield's Rejection Of Synagogue On Village ... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Hector 2
More from around the web