Traffic counts filed in accident that...

Traffic counts filed in accident that killed Amish baby

There are 36 comments on the Watertown Daily Times story from Nov 24, 2012, titled Traffic counts filed in accident that killed Amish baby. In it, Watertown Daily Times reports that:

The motorist involved in a Tuesday morning accident in which an Amish baby girl was killed has been cited by the Lewis County Sheriff's Department with two traffic infractions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Watertown Daily Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wtf

Lowville, NY

#22 Dec 7, 2012
coffee wrote:
<quoted text>She used to be a probation officer in Jefferson county, may still be. i heard she was drinking coffee and looked down to put it back in the holder..Bull, she is also known to have sold drugs with her boyfriend while she was a probation officer. It is wrong that she will just get a small fine and court fees. Must be to save her ass with her job. just sickening, just sayin.
You certainly seem to know a lot about her
pathetic

Boonville, NY

#23 Dec 8, 2012
I don't think the sheriff dept should be able to investigate anything. The people in lewis county think carp is so great when in reality he is totally incompetent. You people should pray that nothing bad ever happens to you becase you will get no justce.
Outsidelookingin

New York, NY

#24 Dec 8, 2012
Maybe this will help all of you who want to point the damning finger at this girl. She was not paying attention, we all know that. her cell was checked...she was not on it at the time. She simply didn't see what was coming up...was daydreaming perhaps? She changed the station on her radio? We all do that. And maybe she needs to slow down, especially when approaching a slow moving vehicle of any kind, in particular the Amish buggies now so numerous on the road. She is devastated. It was reported that she went to the wake and the parent have let their faith guide them, believing that it is God's will. Can you imagine looking them in the eye? Can you imagine living with that for the rest of your life? We all drive unsafely at times....so now it is up to the rest of us to check ourselves and make sure it doesn't happen again.
not a fan

Boonville, NY

#25 Dec 8, 2012
Outsidelookingin wrote:
Maybe this will help all of you who want to point the damning finger at this girl. She was not paying attention, we all know that. her cell was checked...she was not on it at the time. She simply didn't see what was coming up...was daydreaming perhaps? She changed the station on her radio? We all do that. And maybe she needs to slow down, especially when approaching a slow moving vehicle of any kind, in particular the Amish buggies now so numerous on the road. She is devastated. It was reported that she went to the wake and the parent have let their faith guide them, believing that it is God's will. Can you imagine looking them in the eye? Can you imagine living with that for the rest of your life? We all drive unsafely at times....so now it is up to the rest of us to check ourselves and make sure it doesn't happen again.
The only way it won't happen again is if the police start doing their job. How many horse and buggies have been hit in the last year alone. This is because they don't enforce the traffic laws in this county. The speed limit is 55 and I see people drive a lot faster then that through towns with 35 mph limits and they do it right in front of the police. If they don't want to do their jobs then they should quit so someone who wants to can do it. people on here cry when the cops are criticized. But, then they wonder why the same things happen over and over again in this county. I don't know how the police in this county can look at themselves in the mirror when they go home.
tughillrunner

Boston, MA

#26 Dec 10, 2012
end womens suffrage now wrote:
<quoted text> it's called "the law" that babies be in a car seat. Why not the Amish?
How many children are belted in the school bus???
EMT

Lowville, NY

#27 Dec 10, 2012
Leave the poor girl alone, it's bad enough that she will have to live with this for the rest of her life...She doesn't need anyone's insight of her mistakes.
poiuyt

New York, NY

#28 Dec 11, 2012
end womens suffrage now wrote:
<quoted text> it's called "the law" that babies be in a car seat. Why not the Amish?
Are you a complete moron? Maybe u need to read "the law" they were not in a motorized vehicle. Use common sense.
haha

Johnstown, NY

#29 Dec 11, 2012
are you kidding me wrote:
I'm very sorry for he families loss- and also overly disgusted more charges weren't filed- although I know she must feel horrible- she took a LIFE because she was messing with a damn CELLPHONE, and all that she was charged with were these two minor things? I'm not trying to sound harsh, but it really seems there is less "tickets and fines" produced against manslaughter cases then the cases where someone is caught with marijuana- WHAT is the deal with our legal system?!?!
You can not say she was messing with a cell phone you were not there. People need to stop posting shit on here because they " think" they know what happened when in reality the only person that knows is the women driving. I'm sure if any of you took the live of a baby you would feel awful and accidents happen. We just need to be cautious of them and on the look out.
haha

Johnstown, NY

#30 Dec 11, 2012
not a fan wrote:
<quoted text>The only way it won't happen again is if the police start doing their job. How many horse and buggies have been hit in the last year alone. This is because they don't enforce the traffic laws in this county. The speed limit is 55 and I see people drive a lot faster then that through towns with 35 mph limits and they do it right in front of the police. If they don't want to do their jobs then they should quit so someone who wants to can do it. people on here cry when the cops are criticized. But, then they wonder why the same things happen over and over again in this county. I don't know how the police in this county can look at themselves in the mirror when they go home.
If you don't like the cops in the county get out!
treetapper3000

Lowville, NY

#31 Dec 12, 2012
Tolerance is a virtue wrote:
Amazing! This article is about a woman driving her car and hitting a slow moving buggy in broad daylight. Her actions killed a 9 month old baby.

The child that was killed was in the BUGGY. To those on this blog writing about CAR seats --- please, a buggy is not a CAR. It is impossible to equate the two. A buggy is a slow, large moving object pulled by 1 horse. Car seats are called car seats because they belong in cars. That's the definition, it's right in the name.

If you want to start a blog about car seats then do so. The fact you even mention car seats here is totally mind blowing! Furthermore, mentioning CAR seats on this blog is insulting to the woman that lost her child by someone else's carelessness while operating a car.

Curious George made some very good points. The one about ethnocentricity sums it up.
Yes but they do share the same roads I feel that they should also have to wear seatbelts
Tolerance is a virtue

Cary, NC

#32 Dec 12, 2012
treetapper3000 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes but they do share the same roads I feel that they should also have to wear seatbelts
Reportedly, the baby was wearing a seat belt.

This accident was about the responsibility of the person behind the wheel with regard to safety and human life.

The article never mentioned that drugs or alcohol were or were not involved, either. This piece of information is usually included in an article if she was tested for these substances. I therefore believe she was not tested for either. The article only says she wasn't paying attention and not slowing down.

So, although I wasn't there in her car with her, I know she wasn't paying attention or slowing down, and that was her responsibility. She should have gotten vehicular manslaughter or death by motor vehicle because this accident happened in broad daylight, on a straight away with a huge black buggy going 5 mph. There are no excuses given for her charge to have been so light.

Perpetrators should not be given a light sentence because a tougher sentence will make them FEEL horribly ... for the rest of their LIFE. To the people using this reasoning, no one would ever be charged with anything other than a misdemeanor. Therefore, this "feeling horribly" argument is fallacious, at best.

For the driver of the car that wiggled out of these tougher charges, I would guess she is a master at manipulation and if this is the case --- no one will ever know... that is until one day it is too late. We will see her name, Lacey E. Northrup, again in the paper.
steiner

New York, NY

#33 Dec 13, 2012
I am sick and tired of the crap that Steve Virkler and Bob Gorman write in the Watertown Daily Times. This is not good reporting folks. It is down right malicious and full of contempt toward Lewis County. For once, I agree with the County Manager for not releasing the names of the Amish people involved in the accident. I know that the newspaper media is dying and they have to sell papers, but what is written continually proves to be inaccurate and very damaging to innocent people's lives. Join me in cancelling you subscription to the Journal and the Watertown Daily Times.
joking right

New York, NY

#34 Dec 13, 2012
First off..Terrible thing..horrible accident and the loss of any loved on in an accident like this is not easy to deal with. best wishes to the family

At that time in the morning the sun could have very well been in the drivers eyes,

unfortunatly we in motorized vechiles are not aloud to travel at such low speeds. Why it is a traffic hazard,

unfortuantly if their not paying taxes to build the roads they should not be on them...what did they do before roads were built? i beleive they should be able to travel just the same so, i am personally willing to say suck it up and pay the millions for the roads to be widend or set certain times for them to be on the road when there won't be sun in anyones eyes and there is less traffic on the road, if they are gonna be on the road they need more than a little triangle and some dim lights preventing them from being hit. build some tials for them or something...think it is funny they cant pay road taxes but can ride on roads paid, maintaind and plowed for with tax dollars. and every time there is an accident a tax payer is fined..

all that being said i feel badly for the family and theere is nothing that can be said or done to make there loss less painful. i have young children myself and could not imagine losing any of them
my prayers to the family
TugHill

Cicero, NY

#35 Dec 18, 2012
Too many people are being killed in auto accidents. We need to pass laws immediately requiring everyone to register, license, insure, photograph, and inspect all vehicles, and to license drivers only after photographing and a strict test...Oh...
sympathetic

Watertown, NY

#36 Dec 22, 2012
I spoke with friends of the family after this happened, and my heart truly goes out to them. Yes the Amish have their ways and we have our ways and we do our best to work together. But in areas like Lowville anyone who lives around here should certainly know that we have a large Amish population and that you will likely see a buggy on the road at anytime, day or night, rain or shine.

I also agree that the girl who hit them doesn't need to hear everyone's opinions about this. I know I wouldn't want to have to live with that.

I don't agree that she is not being charged with negligent manslaughter. Amish aren't exactly sue happy, they pick up and move on, but it's not right for them to just be taken advantage of.

I'm glad there has been an initiative to put the sign up on Rte 12 warning about Amish buggies, but at some point, the courts are going to have to make an example out of someone.

Car seats are not even a relevant point in this situation, when you're in a wooden buggy and get rear ended by a car, a car seat is more likely to do harm than good.
believe me

Boonville, NY

#37 Dec 24, 2012
TugHill wrote:
Too many people are being killed in auto accidents. We need to pass laws immediately requiring everyone to register, license, insure, photograph, and inspect all vehicles, and to license drivers only after photographing and a strict test...Oh...
Them laws already exist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewis County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lewis County man charged with raping girl (Dec '12) Jun 21 Jack The ripper 31
News Turin teen cited with endangering the welfare o... (Sep '13) May '15 wtf 2
News Port Leyden man accused of stealing copper cabl... (Feb '14) Apr '15 Happy 10
News Lewis County clerk plans to retire after 16-yea... Mar '15 citizen 1
News Port Leyden man accused of taking son's Ritalin (Nov '14) Nov '14 aaa 1
News Lowville woman charged with second-degree haras... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Justice 1
News Turin woman accused of selling meth on school g... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Tolerance is a Vi... 2
More from around the web