Traffic counts filed in accident that killed Amish baby

Nov 24, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Watertown Daily Times

The motorist involved in a Tuesday morning accident in which an Amish baby girl was killed has been cited by the Lewis County Sheriff's Department with two traffic infractions.

Comments
1 - 20 of 36 Comments Last updated Dec 24, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tolerance is a virtue

Cary, NC

#1 Nov 27, 2012
Slow down! and pay attention. You are behind the wheel of a large automobile.

How can anyone hit a slow moving huge black buggy that is straight in front of them at 7:50 in the morning?

What a horrible accident, which did not have to happen.

To the family who lost their loved one, I am sorry for your loss.
No Idea

Lowville, NY

#2 Nov 27, 2012
Don't try to put yourself in someone else's shoes. If you weren't there, you have no idea. I'm sure the driver feels absolutely horrible. This could will be life altering for him/her as well.
Leave them alone

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Nov 27, 2012
It was a terrible accident I can't image having to live with that the rest of my life but someone said to me we as driver wear seat belts and have car seats where was baby if they where the only 2 in the buggy
really

Gloversville, NY

#4 Nov 27, 2012
Leave them alone wrote:
It was a terrible accident I can't image having to live with that the rest of my life but someone said to me we as driver wear seat belts and have car seats where was baby if they where the only 2 in the buggy
Well the horse was killed too, What more can they do when they are hit from behind. Heard she used to be a probation officer, maybe she can counselor others on do not take your eyes off the road and know your environment all around you. There are signs and buggies all over, she must have went over and crossed to the side of the road, the Amish do not ride on the highway. I feel bad for everyone. Who's to say the baby wasn't belted in?
curious georgina

New York, NY

#5 Nov 27, 2012
Leave them alone wrote:
Are you seriously believing that if the Amish baby had been in a carseat when a vehicle hit the buggy it was riding in, it would have survived? Wow- you are really reaching here. Guess babies riding on the back of bicycles would be comparably safe as long as they're in one of those infant seats too?

I think what you're essentially saying is that the Amish should just conform to more "modern" ways of transportaion in order to make it easier for everyone else. They need to stop using buggies, which they have used for hundreds of years, and which are a deeply integral part of their culture, and invest in a smelly, pulliting, gas guzzling car because then they wont be such a nuisance to the rest of us drivers, and their babies will be safely strapped in a car seat until age 15, right? That seems to be what alot of peoples ethnocentric viewpoints boil down to- assimilate or run the risk of being wiped out!

Sorry, but everytime I see dead deer, squirrels, birds, foxes, etc splattered on the road, I think to myself how arrogant and disrespectful we are to the world around us. So much so, that we get in our big, stupid SUVs and trucks, our sports cars and shitboxes, and we plow through wildlife that has been around for thousands of years, feeling little remorse when we take something elses life. Our attitude is that "nature is getting in our way and stepping into our territory(the road, for example)" and shouldnt be doing that. Really? Is that how it works-us parasitic humans just roll into an area like a bunch of thugs and stupidly kill anything that happens to get in our way, because nature isnt "smart" enough to roll with our modern way of life? How much more egocentic could we get?

I feel the same way about the way when people try to make excuses about hitting Amish buggies with their car, in order to absolve themselves of any guilt. So you wanna tell yourself that maybe if the Amish would just adopt the cultural practices of the rest of us, then these things would happen? Asking someone else to conform to your way of life and alter their own in order to make things easier on you, is about as self-serving as one can get. And again-having a carseat in a buggy is NOT going to keep a baby from getting killed in a rear impact by a motor vehicle. A horse drawn buggy and a friggin car are not even remotely comparable in the way they each handle a collision with a car. Just cut the sh*t already. She needed to pay attention to the road. We all do, or this is the fate awaiting us as well as those who are unfortunate enough to be the victims of our negligence behind the wheel.
end womens suffrage now

Lowville, NY

#6 Nov 27, 2012
curious georgina wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you seriously believing that if the Amish baby had been in a carseat when a vehicle hit the buggy it was riding in, it would have survived? Wow- you are really reaching here. Guess babies riding on the back of bicycles would be comparably safe as long as they're in one of those infant seats too?
I think what you're essentially saying is that the Amish should just conform to more "modern" ways of transportaion in order to make it easier for everyone else. They need to stop using buggies, which they have used for hundreds of years, and which are a deeply integral part of their culture, and invest in a smelly, pulliting, gas guzzling car because then they wont be such a nuisance to the rest of us drivers, and their babies will be safely strapped in a car seat until age 15, right? That seems to be what alot of peoples ethnocentric viewpoints boil down to- assimilate or run the risk of being wiped out!
Sorry, but everytime I see dead deer, squirrels, birds, foxes, etc splattered on the road, I think to myself how arrogant and disrespectful we are to the world around us. So much so, that we get in our big, stupid SUVs and trucks, our sports cars and shitboxes, and we plow through wildlife that has been around for thousands of years, feeling little remorse when we take something elses life. Our attitude is that "nature is getting in our way and stepping into our territory(the road, for example)" and shouldnt be doing that. Really? Is that how it works-us parasitic humans just roll into an area like a bunch of thugs and stupidly kill anything that happens to get in our way, because nature isnt "smart" enough to roll with our modern way of life? How much more egocentic could we get?
I feel the same way about the way when people try to make excuses about hitting Amish buggies with their car, in order to absolve themselves of any guilt. So you wanna tell yourself that maybe if the Amish would just adopt the cultural practices of the rest of us, then these things would happen? Asking someone else to conform to your way of life and alter their own in order to make things easier on you, is about as self-serving as one can get. And again-having a carseat in a buggy is NOT going to keep a baby from getting killed in a rear impact by a motor vehicle. A horse drawn buggy and a friggin car are not even remotely comparable in the way they each handle a collision with a car. Just cut the sh*t already. She needed to pay attention to the road. We all do, or this is the fate awaiting us as well as those who are unfortunate enough to be the victims of our negligence behind the wheel.
it's called "the law" that babies be in a car seat. Why not the Amish?
duh

United States

#7 Nov 28, 2012
The the Amish ain't in motorized vehicles!
Captain obvious

Bronx, NY

#8 Nov 28, 2012
duh wrote:
The the Amish ain't in motorized vehicles!
Thank you! I was just going to explain that to the person who made that remark. Idiots. HUGE difference between the "speed" that Amish buggies do compared to motor vehicles, aside from the fact that the two are designed with COMPLETELY different materials. I was sure to include that fact in my original post for a reason. Omg, someone plz give these fools a proper education.
Awe shucks

Rome, NY

#9 Nov 28, 2012
Captain obvious wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you! I was just going to explain that to the person who made that remark. Idiots. HUGE difference between the "speed" that Amish buggies do compared to motor vehicles, aside from the fact that the two are designed with COMPLETELY different materials. I was sure to include that fact in my original post for a reason. Omg, someone plz give these fools a proper education.
Captain obvious you are so right. And even after you make a completely legitimate point, PEOPLE JUST DO NOT GET IT! It's scrape them up and continue on. We are headin into winter recreation, who will go the fastest and death is just a part of it.
Scrape them up off from the trails and continue on the next weekend.

The only thing that has not changed is the price o body bags. It is sad for the families who suffer from the loss of a loved one who needs to do 100+ mph on the trails with snowsleds fueled alchol.

Let the season begin. At the end of the winter, you can bet that Lewis County will have half a dozen fatalities. All in the name of our so called desperate economy.
Tolerance is a virtue

Cary, NC

#10 Nov 28, 2012
Amazing! This article is about a woman driving her car and hitting a slow moving buggy in broad daylight. Her actions killed a 9 month old baby.

The child that was killed was in the BUGGY. To those on this blog writing about CAR seats --- please, a buggy is not a CAR. It is impossible to equate the two. A buggy is a slow, large moving object pulled by 1 horse. Car seats are called car seats because they belong in cars. That's the definition, it's right in the name.

If you want to start a blog about car seats then do so. The fact you even mention car seats here is totally mind blowing! Furthermore, mentioning CAR seats on this blog is insulting to the woman that lost her child by someone else's carelessness while operating a car.

Curious George made some very good points. The one about ethnocentricity sums it up.
Again

Lowville, NY

#11 Nov 28, 2012
Don't judge if you were not there. A variety of things could have happened. It could have happened to anyone. If she was coming over a hill, blinded by the sun, etc. It is a tragic accident that both families will have to live with for the rest of their lives.
Saddened

Gloversville, NY

#12 Nov 28, 2012
I feel badly for all.There have been too many accidents lately with buggys and cars. Can we get local law maker or law enforcement or even a church group to work on improving the safety on the roads and prevent as many deaths as we can? St Law Co has wider shoulders where the Amish can be in their own lane. I can't see that happening in Lewis Co. Drivers of cars- you need to slow down and give lots of space for the buggys and tractors as they are not all the way out of the driving lane. Also remeber horses are unpredicable and skittish. Also drivers- don't pass until you know it is safe. Amish and Farmers need more lights on their slower movng vehicles-they can also be a big help to drivers by being more aware of the drivers behind them and somehow help the drivers behind them get around them safely (hand signals- colored flags red not safe to pass, green safe to pass). I don't know, but we've got to work together to help this from happening again.
Nice

New York, NY

#13 Nov 28, 2012
Saddened wrote:
I feel badly for all.There have been too many accidents lately with buggys and cars. Can we get local law maker or law enforcement or even a church group to work on improving the safety on the roads and prevent as many deaths as we can? St Law Co has wider shoulders where the Amish can be in their own lane. I can't see that happening in Lewis Co. Drivers of cars- you need to slow down and give lots of space for the buggys and tractors as they are not all the way out of the driving lane. Also remeber horses are unpredicable and skittish. Also drivers- don't pass until you know it is safe. Amish and Farmers need more lights on their slower movng vehicles-they can also be a big help to drivers by being more aware of the drivers behind them and somehow help the drivers behind them get around them safely (hand signals- colored flags red not safe to pass, green safe to pass). I don't know, but we've got to work together to help this from happening again.
Nicely said,thank-you for the ideas...Im praying for those involved,Peace.
Protect the Victims

Woonsocket, RI

#14 Nov 30, 2012
end womens suffrage now wrote:
<quoted text> it's called "the law" that babies be in a car seat. Why not the Amish?
This happened right in front of my house. It was my neighbor's sister and niece coming to visit when they were struck. The baby WAS in a car seat. The rear of the buggy and front of the car were mangled. The horse was thrown over the guardrail from the force of the impact. It was a straight stretch of clear road (no weather issues or visual impairments). There were no skid marks on the road, or sound of brakes squealing before impact. Bottom line is, the driver was distracted --for at least a quarter mile!!-- and an innocent baby lost her life because of it. People need to put down their phones and all other distractions and pay attention to the road!!!
Tolerance is a virtue

Cary, NC

#15 Nov 30, 2012
Protect the Victims wrote:
<quoted text>
This happened right in front of my house. It was my neighbor's sister and niece coming to visit when they were struck. The baby WAS in a car seat. The rear of the buggy and front of the car were mangled. The horse was thrown over the guardrail from the force of the impact. It was a straight stretch of clear road (no weather issues or visual impairments). There were no skid marks on the road, or sound of brakes squealing before impact. Bottom line is, the driver was distracted --for at least a quarter mile!!-- and an innocent baby lost her life because of it. People need to put down their phones and all other distractions and pay attention to the road!!!
Thank you for speaking up.
no way

New York, NY

#16 Nov 30, 2012
Lacey E. Northrup, 27, Lowville, has been summoned to Harrisburg Town Court to face charges of following too closely and failing to exercise due caution when approaching a horse
this is all she was charged with? no way!
Tolerance is a virtue

Cary, NC

#18 Dec 1, 2012
no way wrote:
Lacey E. Northrup, 27, Lowville, has been summoned to Harrisburg Town Court to face charges of following too closely and failing to exercise due caution when approaching a horse

this is all she was charged with? no way!
Most people receive at least a "misdemeanor, death by motor vehicle" charge in cases like these, especially if there weren't any skid marks at the scene. This also happened in broad daylight.

We don't even NEED good lawyers around here!
are you kidding me

Gloversville, NY

#19 Dec 1, 2012
I'm very sorry for he families loss- and also overly disgusted more charges weren't filed- although I know she must feel horrible- she took a LIFE because she was messing with a damn CELLPHONE, and all that she was charged with were these two minor things? I'm not trying to sound harsh, but it really seems there is less "tickets and fines" produced against manslaughter cases then the cases where someone is caught with marijuana- WHAT is the deal with our legal system?!?!
Cap Dip Shhhit

Lowville, NY

#20 Dec 1, 2012
are you kidding me wrote:
I'm very sorry for he families loss- and also overly disgusted more charges weren't filed- although I know she must feel horrible- she took a LIFE because she was messing with a damn CELLPHONE, and all that she was charged with were these two minor things? I'm not trying to sound harsh, but it really seems there is less "tickets and fines" produced against manslaughter cases then the cases where someone is caught with marijuana- WHAT is the deal with our legal system?!?!
How do you know she was on her cell?
coffee

Gloversville, NY

#21 Dec 2, 2012
are you kidding me wrote:
She used to be a probation officer in Jefferson county, may still be. i heard she was drinking coffee and looked down to put it back in the holder..Bull, she is also known to have sold drugs with her boyfriend while she was a probation officer. It is wrong that she will just get a small fine and court fees. Must be to save her ass with her job. just sickening, just sayin.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewis County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Verizon: Equipment sabotaged in Oneida County (Aug '11) Aug 25 NoOneRewarded 4
Lyons Falls man charged with aggravated DWI Aug 5 laura street 4
Lowville man faces charges in alleged domestic ... Jul 30 Okie Dokie Smokie 5
Teenager accused of punching, kicking cat in Lo... Jul '14 Social Sundae 4
Port Leyden man accused of stealing copper cabl... (Feb '14) Jul '14 Tom 8
Its just before the 4th of July............ Jul '14 From what I heard 1
Port Leyden superintendent reinstated after firing Jun '14 LBD 21
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••