Spanking Lives On In Rural Florida Sc...

Spanking Lives On In Rural Florida Schools

There are 18 comments on the National Public Radio story from Mar 13, 2012, titled Spanking Lives On In Rural Florida Schools. In it, National Public Radio reports that:

A wooden paddle sits on the principal's desk at Sneads High School in Jackson County, Fla.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at National Public Radio.

oldschool

Bonifay, FL

#1 Mar 14, 2012
Thank the Lord. It never hurt anybody that I know of.
Wow

United States

#2 Mar 14, 2012
oldschool wrote:
Thank the Lord. It never hurt anybody that I know of.
It never made a difference positively either to anyone that I know of.
OMG

Dothan, AL

#3 Mar 14, 2012
oldschool you are right. If parents would spank their children when needed we wouldn't have all these disrespectful lil punks running round all over the place. You can spank a child without abusing it..
Parent

Marianna, FL

#4 Apr 10, 2012
I'm glad to see that we have schools that are not scared over a law suites and still do what is right. We are losing the battle of directing our children in the right direction. If the parents cant do it someone has to. If this was done more at home our prison population would also go down.
jade

United States

#5 Apr 11, 2012
Do they take down the pants ?
jade

United States

#6 Apr 11, 2012
I think the only way to discipline boys is with the "pants down" but girls are a bit more sensitive !
BHS Student

Bonifay, FL

#7 Apr 12, 2012
There is a point when it is just ridiculous though...
a High School Student does not get affected in any way from a getting the paddle to them. trust me i know. after middle school it should be done with. If kids are going to be hellions then no matter what discipline they are going to rebel. No problem with it on the younger children but it is ineffective on High Schoolers.
BHS Student

Bonifay, FL

#8 Apr 12, 2012
jade wrote:
I think the only way to discipline boys is with the "pants down" but girls are a bit more sensitive !
If they ever told me to pull my pants down i would turn around and punch whoever it is in the face. this comment is honestly stupid! your going to let them take your sons pants down??? What if one of them is the next Jerry Sandusky?? then how would you feel? think about that stuff before you jump to conclusions..
Cookie

Panama City, FL

#9 Apr 12, 2012
jade wrote:
A truly stupid question. I do not use stupid lightly.
typhoidkelly

Columbus, GA

#10 Apr 15, 2012
jade wrote:
So Jade, are you one of those closet pedophiles who fantasizes about little boys?
the troller

Panama City, FL

#11 Apr 15, 2012
Cookie wrote:
<quoted text>
A truly stupid question. I do not use stupid lightly.
Doctors can fix hearing or eye sight, but no one can fix stupid.....
Lottery 69

Bonifay, FL

#12 Apr 16, 2012
Ok On this one I'm kind of in-between. Instead of having our high school sons and daughters spanked for MINOR issues, have them do sentances or something. I know for a fact that one child had been hit at least 10x a year. Which is just ridiculous. I'm pretty sure that doesnt sound effective. Now on other of these students it might help. If it would happen more at the middle school, there might have less to deal with at the highschool. I for one as a parent do spank my child when necessary and NEVER "just to teach a lesson". I believe theres a certain limit to this. In which speaking of is the school doing this out of their own likings. Especially with the "picked out ones." Doesn't anyone else think the school shouldn't be doing this?
been there

Bonifay, FL

#13 Apr 16, 2012
If you don't like it, just sign a letter to tell the school no corporal punishment. Then they will find another punishment. Problem solved.
Lottery 69 wrote:
Ok On this one I'm kind of in-between. Instead of having our high school sons and daughters spanked for MINOR issues, have them do sentances or something. I know for a fact that one child had been hit at least 10x a year. Which is just ridiculous. I'm pretty sure that doesnt sound effective. Now on other of these students it might help. If it would happen more at the middle school, there might have less to deal with at the highschool. I for one as a parent do spank my child when necessary and NEVER "just to teach a lesson". I believe theres a certain limit to this. In which speaking of is the school doing this out of their own likings. Especially with the "picked out ones." Doesn't anyone else think the school shouldn't be doing this?
Educated person

Mound, MN

#14 Apr 16, 2012
Lottery 69 wrote:
I agree with you that corporal punishment seems only to be effective before high school. The same children who get "spankings" everyday are the ones who continue to do the same things that got them in trouble. On the other hand, if you don't allow corporal punishment, then pretty much the only choice is OSS. Hchs doesn't offer ISS anymore and rarely allows essays or sentences to be written.
pezza Face

Panama City, FL

#15 Apr 16, 2012
Lottery 69 wrote:
Sentences are a joke. The kids mostly would rather have the licks. I say if the parents don't want them paddled then let them come pick them up.
Parent

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#16 Apr 18, 2012
The way I see it is that children of all ages need to learn consequences for their actions!!!! There is far less paddling going on in the schools than there used to be and far more stealing misbehaving ect..... now!!! If nothing else it teaches them that if you do wrong there is some kind of consequence!!!! Paddling is far from a beating and neither of my children have been scarred from it!! in fact my oldest believes in it!!! The problem with discipline is suppose to start at home but doesn't half the time anymore. Proverbs 13:24 Whoever spares the rod hates his son but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.
Hebrews 12:11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant , but later it yeilds the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those trained by it.
strict mom

United States

#17 May 2, 2012
I think back then when corporal punishment was administered ,we had much better behaved kids then these days ! My 2 brothers got spanked from grandma whenever they misbehaved . We all loved her ,but she was a strict disciplinarian . When she grabbed your wrist & lead you to the recliner ,you knew whats comin'! when she ordered the 'pants down' you knew your pants gotta be down .if not......... then over her knees . She gave 6 swats . We learnt our lesson !
huck

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#18 Jun 4, 2012
Well absolutely they should be spanked if the kid continues to do wrong they should continue to be spanked sending them home is a reward they should definately be spanked and they cant get any more than five licks in one day anyway that wont hurt it will help if you dont want your kid spanked send a letter just for your kid not to be spanked other kods do need it and should be recieving them even if they do wrong at home and no it isnt abuse until there is a bruise

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Levy County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Either development or a sand mine will ruin sou... (Mar '15) Mar '15 FedUp 2
News Duke Energy shelves major nuclear project in Fl... (Aug '13) Aug '13 BDV 2
News Inglis votes to disband police, fire depts. (Mar '13) Mar '13 joker 1
News Stilt Huts and Fishing Boats at Cedar Key Florida (Apr '12) Feb '13 RLY2006 2
News Dunellon banjo player to play on Letterman with... (Oct '12) Oct '12 mike chamberlain 1
best public meeting place in Levy County? (Apr '12) Apr '12 Drew 1
HardisonInk.com (May '11) Jan '12 Jeff M Hardison 4
More from around the web