New Florida laws kick in

New Florida laws kick in

There are 18 comments on the News Press story from Oct 1, 2010, titled New Florida laws kick in. In it, News Press reports that:

Tighter regulation of pain clinics, protection from hate crimes for homeless people and stiffer penalties against methadone dealers are among the laws going into effect today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News Press.

d taylor

United States

#1 Oct 10, 2010
I have been taking methadone for debilitating, chronic pain for 5 years. I have tried everything with no relief, exceopt fpr methadone. I have a monthly appointment with my pain management clinic and have never abused this drug. My doctors told me this month that they would no longer dispense methadone to any patients because of a new law that could send them to prison or even possibly the death penalty should I abuse and die from the use of methadone.From what I can find out, the new law clearly says these penalties are for unlawful distribution of methadone. My Doctors are running scared and we the patients are the ones to suffer.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#2 Oct 11, 2010
I feel your pain..literally and figuratively..I too have been on methadone since 2002..only did i resort to a pain clinic once i got to the point that i just didnt want to live anymore..not if life was gonna be a daily struggle to even move around..We haven't had any law issues in LA..however the pain dr i was seeing was the only one at the state university hospital..He is retirin in dec..He put every patient on a taper schedule and said good luck..hope u find a new dr..i was at 150mg a day..(took it 50mg 3 times per day)..at one point i was changed to ms contin..the morphine dose didn't even come close to helping like methadone did..i was at 60mg per day at that point..the entire week i was on the morphine i couldn't go to work..now i am jumping down to 5mg, but can't handle it so i end up taking total of 10 per day..my schedule to wean was per week drops:150/100/75/50/30/20/10/5 then stop..i have been on another thread here about the mental and physical withdrawls..unfortunately, even the pain patients there have abused their meds..they have taken more than prescribed, gotten high and end up running out every month..or something to that effect..i was just saying, if only i could talk w/someone that was a true pain patient, not an addict/abuser..as soon as i dropped to 5mg i had a bad fall and cracked some ribs and my bad left hip..but i told my pain dr no more meds..its hard..but im gonna get there..then do some more rftc nerve blocks..can i ask what kind of pain u are having?im also a nurse, so maybe i can help..
freedom to fascism

Pensacola, FL

#3 Oct 17, 2010
grow poppies harvest the latex and screw big pharma and their monoply and the state. btw statutes are not law they are legislative enactments given the force of law by the consent of the governd. So do not consent!
piercit

Thailand

#4 Oct 20, 2010
d taylor wrote:
I have been taking methadone for debilitating, chronic pain for 5 years. I have tried everything with no relief, exceopt fpr methadone. I have a monthly appointment with my pain management clinic and have never abused this drug. My doctors told me this month that they would no longer dispense methadone to any patients because of a new law that could send them to prison or even possibly the death penalty should I abuse and die from the use of methadone.From what I can find out, the new law clearly says these penalties are for unlawful distribution of methadone. My Doctors are running scared and we the patients are the ones to suffer.
If these guys cut you loose without a tapering program, you should see an attorney. Call the DOH, and tell them your problem. Make a formal complaint if they just cut you loose. Attorneys sometimes read over the formal complaints andd select cases. Obtain the forms for making such a complaint from the state DOH..goodluck..P
jojo

Jay, ME

#5 Nov 24, 2010
I just inherited my deceased relative's belongings which included a bottle of 300 10 mg rorer methadone. He died of liver cancer. I was going to throw it away what should I do? [email protected]

Since: Dec 10

Mount Dora, FL

#6 Dec 7, 2010
I take it for pain. I take 4 10mg a day. I guess that is baby dose compared to most. My problem with it is I sweat constantly and bad. I have sweat pouring off me at times. Is that normal? I take it as prescribed. Any ideas about the sweating?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#7 Dec 7, 2010
stevescummins wrote:
I take it for pain. I take 4 10mg a day. I guess that is baby dose compared to most. My problem with it is I sweat constantly and bad. I have sweat pouring off me at times. Is that normal? I take it as prescribed. Any ideas about the sweating?
Sweating and hot flashes isn't unusual but doesn't effect everyone. There is a Parkinson's Disease Med that can help a little, Akenitin, or something like that. I used it for a time and it helped but didn't stop the problem. I didn't sweat constantly like some but got bad hot flashes. The med reduced the frequency and intensity.

The only thing that stopped it for me was getting off of M. Once I was below about 20mg I didn't have much problem. Trouble was that I relapsed on heroine and the problem of sweating returned.

Now I stay the hell away from all opiates/opioids and no problem with sweating. Opiates seem to effect the Pituitary gland in some people more than others. That regulates body temp and it just doesn't function right with opiates.

Mount Dora, FL

#8 Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for the help. I have the hot fashes really bad. I will be watching tv and just start sweating like crazy. I can't stand it. If I go out to eat with my wife and friends sometimes I just start pouring sweat in the restraunt. I am going to get off this crap. I would rather hurt all the time than have this. Now to try and get off this stuff without getting sick. Always something.

Location hidden

#9 Dec 8, 2010
stevescummins wrote:
Thanks for the help. I have the hot fashes really bad. I will be watching tv and just start sweating like crazy. I can't stand it. If I go out to eat with my wife and friends sometimes I just start pouring sweat in the restraunt. I am going to get off this crap. I would rather hurt all the time than have this. Now to try and get off this stuff without getting sick. Always something.
If you do a slow taper Steve you'll probably be fine. It's different for everyone, some people can drop 5mg every couple weeks and its not bad, others have high anxiety dropping just 1mg. I would suggest you don't try going faster than 10% of dose every 10 days to two weeks.

Sounds like you take the pills so come as close as possible to that 10% or less as you can. It's not pleasant but for most people it's not bad either. You shouldn't be sick but ...you won't feel on top of the world either. Also, it's usually 1 to 3 months after quitting completely before you feel completely back to normal. The longer you've taken it the longer it usually takes.

One thing that helps is exercise. It helps both body and mind by getting endorphin firing again.

There are other things that may help so, if you decide to go for it you'll find me on one of these threads and I'll give you some help.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#10 Dec 9, 2010
stevescummins wrote:
ABC has good advice for tapering methadone..He has done it more than once..Only thing is u do need to find something to help u with chronic pain..Im not sure what kind of pain issues u have, but there are lots of non narcotic options..Neurontin is given for bad nerve pain, there are RFTC nerve block procedures that work well..With RFTC nerve blocks there are risks, but benefits can last up to 6 months..Whether u have back pain or pain located in other areas, a trained aneshesiologist can actually burn whatever nerves are linked to the chronic pain issues..Hope that helps..Apparently there are new laws kicking in all over..I haven't looked into the issue myself, but Im real glad I got off methadone when I did and that I was given the chance to taper off and not just go into my pain dr one day and get the boot..and no 40mg per day isn't alot..I started on 10mg 3 times per day in 2002..then went to 2 10mg pills 3 times per day within a year from starting..after that I only needed increases about every 2 years or so..but over the years I ended up on a total of 150mg per day..It really helped the pain, but unfortunatly it made me into a person that I didn't want to be..Supressed alot of my personality..And to top it off, no dr tells u that even tapering to get off of methadone, u WILL still have some type of withdrawl symptoms once u stop..

Mount Dora, FL

#11 Dec 13, 2010
Thanks alot guys. It sounds like it wouldn't be to bad to taper off and quit. I am going to try to just live with pain after I get off this. I don't want to be on anything but I don't know if that is possible. I will let you know what I decide. Thanks again.

Location hidden

#12 Dec 13, 2010
stevescummins wrote:
Thanks alot guys. It sounds like it wouldn't be to bad to taper off and quit. I am going to try to just live with pain after I get off this. I don't want to be on anything but I don't know if that is possible. I will let you know what I decide. Thanks again.
Hi Steve, As your dose gets lower you may have some diarrhea issues. Imodium works pretty good at solving that. Also drink plenty of water. If you become at all dehydrated it usually causes headaches. The biggest problem for most is sleep becomes difficult. Not as bad as cold turkey but still you can expect some issues with sleep. I always used an OTC sleep aid like Advil PM and it helped but my sleeps hours still weren't as long as I'd have liked. Prescription aids aren't a good idea because they leave you groggy if you don't get 8 hours sleep, and you probably won't.

If you have any specific problems I'll try and help. You can always get me be clicking on the little envelope next to my moniker and dropping a note. I'll see it as email if you do that and wont miss your post.

Best wishes and Happy Holidays, AB
lisa

United States

#13 Jan 20, 2011
I have been on methadone for six years, and I to sweat alot. my doctor told me to try loratadine pills. You can by the generic equate brand from wal- mart and they seem to work the same. It has helped me and my husband alot compaired to nothing so try it and it may work for you to. You still sweat but not as much.
Informed Source

Flatwoods, KY

#14 Feb 5, 2011
Heather35 wrote:
I feel your pain..literally and figuratively..I too have been on methadone since 2002..only did i resort to a pain clinic once i got to the point that i just didnt want to live anymore..not if life was gonna be a daily struggle to even move around..We haven't had any law issues in LA..however the pain dr i was seeing was the only one at the state university hospital..He is retirin in dec..He put every patient on a taper schedule and said good luck..hope u find a new dr..i was at 150mg a day..(took it 50mg 3 times per day)..at one point i was changed to ms contin..the morphine dose didn't even come close to helping like methadone did..i was at 60mg per day at that point..the entire week i was on the morphine i couldn't go to work..now i am jumping down to 5mg, but can't handle it so i end up taking total of 10 per day..my schedule to wean was per week drops:150/100/75/50/30/20/10/5 then stop..i have been on another thread here about the mental and physical withdrawls..unfortunately, even the pain patients there have abused their meds..they have taken more than prescribed, gotten high and end up running out every month..or something to that effect..i was just saying, if only i could talk w/someone that was a true pain patient, not an addict/abuser..as soon as i dropped to 5mg i had a bad fall and cracked some ribs and my bad left hip..but i told my pain dr no more meds..its hard..but im gonna get there..then do some more rftc nerve blocks..can i ask what kind of pain u are having?im also a nurse, so maybe i can help..
i hope you find a new Dr.I know this is an older post but not too old that you have detoxed.I would love to hear from you..
Cheryl

Ormond Beach, FL

#15 Aug 12, 2011
I too am on methadone. Since 2001 I have been on 40 mg per day and have not increased the dosage a single time. Am I pain free, no but it has helped me a great deal and I am on a low enough dose that I have never felt the least bit medicated. I too was at the end of my life when I began to take it, I hated drugs but no longer had a choice. I must say that I made the right decision and that methadone has been a miracle in my life so for all of you that judge it so harshly please stop, for many would die and I do mean die without it.
bazzaboy

UK

#16 Aug 15, 2011
Cheryl wrote:
I too am on methadone. Since 2001 I have been on 40 mg per day and have not increased the dosage a single time. Am I pain free, no but it has helped me a great deal and I am on a low enough dose that I have never felt the least bit medicated. I too was at the end of my life when I began to take it, I hated drugs but no longer had a choice. I must say that I made the right decision and that methadone has been a miracle in my life so for all of you that judge it so harshly please stop, for many would die and I do mean die without it.
methadone has never stopped anyone from dying.
Law man

Willowbrook, IL

#17 Aug 23, 2011
In addition, ski masks and snowmobile helmets have been illegalized throughout Florida. The southern counties especially will be enforcing a zero-tolerance law for posession of ski masks and snowmobile helmets.
TRC901

Memphis, TN

#18 Jul 2, 2012
Methadone will make anyone heat intolerant. I have the the same issue, but I have gained some headway with regulating the sweating. Drink a gallon of water a day, minimum; it helps with constipation as well as keeping you regulated. Also, slowly expose yourself to heat by taking walks. Exercise is the best thing one can do to manage sweating in my layman opinion. I use baby powder when it is rally hot and humid. By the way, the more humid the worse, as you probably know. Most opiates will cause sweating, but you can buy a product called "Frog Togg" from Bed Bath and Beyond, as well as from the 'net. This is a towel-like product made of something almost like neoprene, but not like a wet suit. It is a moisture wiking AND COOLING material. You put it in WARM water, ring out the excess water, and you will have a cold towel that YOU CAN PLACE AROUND YOUR NECK, BACK, OR WHERE EVER YOU PLEASE AND IT WILL SIGNIFICANTLY COOL YOU OFF!! I LIVE IN MEMPHIS, AND RIGHT NOW IT IS 100o and nearly 100% humidity all the time. This "towel" has helped tremendously! Slow acclimation to the heat helps as well. I have been on M. for 3 years and I completely understand what you are going through! Best of luck my friend, fell well, be well, and exercise; it helps the pain, no matter how much it hurts to do it, once you are acclimated, the pain of working out will ease up and you will feel better all over, especially if weight is an issue for you; the less belly weight the less back pain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lee County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Flower covered causeway Aug 17 Pescude 1
lee county mugshots (Nov '14) Aug 12 Hong 2
mugshots Lee county Aug 5 leehigh82 1
Looking May '16 Lust4val 1
Divorce May '16 Lust4val 1
News Friends, family frustrated after fatal Fort Mye... May '16 Wonder why 1
News Lehigh teen to be tried as an adult in shooting... (Mar '12) Mar '16 SYBAU 9
More from around the web