A Lawrence County woman is recovering...

A Lawrence County woman is recovering from a severe beating, and the suspect, is dead.

There are 69 comments on the WHNT News 19 story from Oct 12, 2010, titled A Lawrence County woman is recovering from a severe beating, and the suspect, is dead.. In it, WHNT News 19 reports that:

A Lawrence County woman is recovering from a severe beating, and the suspect, is dead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHNT News 19.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
klc

Harvey, LA

#1 Oct 12, 2010
Senseless. This happened within 2 miles of where I live. The first call came in to me to lock my doors at about 9:45PM. And that the police were looking for Johnny. Of course i called several neighbors. I got my 12yr son up and put him in my bed (Single mom.). I listened to helicopters and cars going up and down the road until about 11PM. I don't know where the police finally located him. Did not know he had killed himself until I saw the news this morning. Since Johnny is 2yrs older than me he would have been 47-48. In school he was quiet and never picked on other students. I don't know what sent him down the path of drugs he went down. But i do know that God put so many people in his life through the years to try to help him. My prayers are with his sisters and extended family. If the rumors are true my prayers are with his mother-in-law for recovery. And his children that lost their father and could lose their grandmother. It's my prayer that God will use this senseless mess to help someone else.
Jim

Athens, AL

#2 Oct 12, 2010
I'm sorry, but when I saw "the suspect was spooted," I thought there was some newfangled way he killed himself.
DANNY

Montevallo, AL

#3 Oct 12, 2010
IVE KNOWN JOHNNY FOR YEARS.HE HAD FOUGHT DRUGS AND DOMESTIC PROBLEMS THE WHOLE TIME.HE WAS A GOOD PERSON TO ME.WE HUNTED AND FISHED TOGETHER FOR YEARS. WHAT HE DID WAS NOT RIGHT AND NEVER WILL BE. THIS WAS AN ONGOING ISSUE THAT JUST FINALLY TOOK ITS TOLL. R.I.P JOHNNY BOY. D.D
txgal49

Huntsville, AL

#4 Oct 12, 2010
Is there something so horrible about the older woman who got beaten & left in the woods that no one has anything to say about her or in her defense? I sincerely hope she will have a full recovery from this awful act done by a family member--drug-related or not.
question

Toney, AL

#5 Oct 12, 2010
just wondering if this had anything to do with the shooting last week?
Amber

Mingus, TX

#6 Oct 12, 2010
Spellcheck, please! The quality of writing in this story is atrocious for a so-called professional news agency.

And yes, this is a terrible tragedy. I hope the woman recovers fully and swiftly.
DANNY

Montevallo, AL

#7 Oct 12, 2010
oh how easy it is for those to judge that sit on a pedestal in make believe world. i to hope the lady recovers fully and stated it wasn't right. those who live in glass houses shouldn't through stones. Ive seen this play out for over a 10 year span n talked with him many times about his problems in his life.so to rate someone clueless and a nut,DR. Phil you are not. one question for you did you ever try to help or understand? now you want to right. to late he is no longer here to tell his side. shouldn't someone?
Think about it

Huntsville, AL

#8 Oct 12, 2010
DANNY wrote:
oh how easy it is for those to judge that sit on a pedestal in make believe world. i to hope the lady recovers fully and stated it wasn't right. those who live in glass houses shouldn't through stones. Ive seen this play out for over a 10 year span n talked with him many times about his problems in his life.so to rate someone clueless and a nut,DR. Phil you are not. one question for you did you ever try to help or understand? now you want to right. to late he is no longer here to tell his side. shouldn't someone?
Give me a break, what redneck logic can possibly be applied to beating someone senseless? A man beating a woman severely? Explain that to me please.
Big man beat up a woman and then took his life like the coward he apparently was.

I hope the woman recovers.
Whitney

Muscle Shoals, AL

#9 Oct 12, 2010
I am fron Lawrence county and have been my entire life. Seems we are in the news more and more lately, whats happening to the world?!?!? This is such a tragedy. I pray for the woman and her family as well as the man that did this awful act!
There is no excuse what so ever for beating someone!! Drugs, alcohol, whatever he was on or however bad his life was is still no excuse! And as far as anyone defending this monster, please!!!!! He needs no defending, what he did was down right wrong end of story! I feel for his family, but him in NO WAY! May God be with the lady and I pray for a speedy recovery!
Kendra

Huntsville, AL

#10 Oct 12, 2010
may God be with this woman and her family.
and drugs if it be are no excuse for this man.
his punishment is left up to God!!
just my thoughts

Huntsville, AL

#11 Oct 12, 2010
You say his punishment will be left up to God but you don't have the proof to condemn anyone. You people kill me. It could have been an accident but some of you are trying to be the judge and jury. If the man killed himself, then there is no one but God that knows what happened. Go ahead and believe every word on the internet and even put in your own imagined details. Thank God it is the one who will judge this man because you would send him down the river either way! I am in no way defending him but there is no proof. Yes, God be with both families and may he help them all through this tragedy. I also hope he also puts it into your hearts that judgement, physically or mentally, is not up to you.
FACTS

Madison, AL

#12 Oct 12, 2010
I was there last night through it all. There are way more facts out there than what you know "just my thoughts". The woman was left to DIE! She didn't though and has been abble to tell investigators exactly what happened. Along with a few more witnesses! So yeah there are facts out there, maybe not publicized yet but they are there! Believe me.
LC High

Huntsville, AL

#13 Oct 12, 2010
I saw Johnny a few days ago. Mother-in-law was putting her nose where it don't belong. When you play with fire you get burnt. Johnny was not one to mess with! Danny-hope you're doing good man!
Kendra

Huntsville, AL

#14 Oct 12, 2010
"just my thoughts"
yes i agree, as to why i was saying his punishment isnt up to man it is left to God, for he will know whether this man is guilty not us.
Just Wondering

Decatur, AL

#15 Oct 12, 2010
I continue to ask myself over and over again, what is going on in our country today? I know during "olden days" things happened but goodness the violence connected with crimes today scares me to death. Why in the world would this man beat this lady like he did. And did he do this crime in front of the children? What will these children have to live with for the rest of their lives. Will this family ever know what caused this to happen in the first place?

Since this man killed himself I guess once again there will be no answers to the above questions. Does anyone know if this assailant had mental problems? Does his man's family have a clue as to what was going on with this man? If indeed, there were signs of problems why did this man's family not try to get help for him? I know some disturbed people can keep up a good front in front of their families when there are problems but surely someone knows what was going on with this man.

This lady could have been killed or could have perminant damage to her brain. These children could have horrible memories they will have to try to live with for the rest of their lives.

What are we as a nation going to do about this problem? I know the state of our economy will bring out the very worst in some of our people but this sensless beating just confuses me no end. This man must have had a great deal of hatred locked on the inside to be able to have done such a thing to another person in the first place.

I pray for the recovery of this victim and her family and I also pray for this man's family who must try to make sense out of what has happened to their loved one. Their loss is no less painful regardless of how or why he had to die.
Kendra

Huntsville, AL

#16 Oct 12, 2010
"LC High"
you are so ignorant. ill pray for you.
LC High

Huntsville, AL

#17 Oct 12, 2010
Kendra - where were you when Johnny needed prayers? If you had prayed for Johnny-this might not have happened. You let him and his family down.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#18 Oct 12, 2010
just my thoughts wrote:
You say his punishment will be left up to God but you don't have the proof to condemn anyone. You people kill me. It could have been an accident but some of you are trying to be the judge and jury. If the man killed himself, then there is no one but God that knows what happened. Go ahead and believe every word on the internet and even put in your own imagined details. Thank God it is the one who will judge this man because you would send him down the river either way! I am in no way defending him but there is no proof. Yes, God be with both families and may he help them all through this tragedy. I also hope he also puts it into your hearts that judgement, physically or mentally, is not up to you.
How, by any stretch of the imagination, can beating a grandmother senseless and leaving her in a field to die, be an accident?
Just Wondering

Decatur, AL

#19 Oct 12, 2010
just my thoughts wrote:
What planet do you live on? You are no genius, we all know God is the one who ultimately will have the last say about this man and all of us. But are you suggesting we should all feel sorry for this man? Are you saying we should all understand this man lost his temper? Are you saying this man had the right to beat this woman severly, leave her in the woods to die----------recover perhaps-------forgive him for having a viscious temper-------BAKE HIM AN APPLE PIE---------OR JUST PLAIN DIE and his temper problem would be ok? He could have pleaded not guilty, he could have faced a legal system he could have sprouted wings, but he did the cowardly thing and ended his life because he ultimately knew he would have been severly punished for this senseless beating. If you think this man is such an upstanding character why did he hijack her in her car and take her into the woods to beat her in this way? If he is so justified in doing what he did to this woman why didn't he do it in the day light in front of wittnesses and call this act justified? You can be sure of one thing though, the legal system will always have their say about this kind of man before me meets God for his judgement. You said there was no proof this man did anything..........what about the children--------and don't ever forget this lady may not die and she may not be left in a vegetative state and will be able to tell what happened to her. Guess what genius, her word will be the last word because her attacker killed himself. Who do you think will be believed? I just have to ask you one more question. You said "this could be an accident" are you referring to the sensless beating, the being taken into the woods to do the dirty deal or are you suggesting this man accidently killed himself? If he had a gun in his hands and it was loaded, he knew someone could have been killed. If he thought there was no evidence he had done anything wrong why did he have a loaded gun? If he was innocent why did he need a gun? If he had no reason to think law enforcement might want to speak to him why would he have a loaded gun?

I am so very sorry for this man's family because I am sure they loved him dearly and would not have wanted anything to happen to him at any time by any one. Now this family has to deal with his death, a funeral, and questions that will never be answered. This family will also have to deal with what took place before his death and they will have to deal with these children on some level for the rest of their lives. They will have to try to explain what happened and why?

As for you wanting everyone to leave judgement, physically and mentally, up to God. Sounds good but..........you go out and break the law and tell us once again that God will punish you and no one else should think they are capable of judging you and you can bet your last dollar, you will be judged, sentenced and labeled a criminal regardless who you are. You can't possible believe what you wrote on this site.
Pluzeee

Decatur, AL

#20 Oct 12, 2010
just my thoughts wrote:
Pretty sure the woman knows what happened and can provide plenty of proof. And "down the river" is where he should have been sent, but in case you missed it, he saved the judicial system the trouble. If we're not to believe every word on the Internet I take it we can disregard your bleeding heart drivel. Consider it done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lawrence County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ronald "Ronnie" Etheredge? (Jul '16) Sep '16 tammy 2
News Four arrested in meth bust (Sep '07) Oct '13 misty 12
Decendent of Terry's (Jun '13) Jun '13 sarah 1
News Huntsville man arrested on capital murder charg... (Mar '13) Mar '13 bori 1
looking for family (Feb '13) Feb '13 got to know 1
News King loses job, gives curtailed goodbye (Jan '13) Jan '13 Sharon Givens 1
News North Courtland Councilman Among 30 Arrested in... (Dec '12) Dec '12 king 2
More from around the web