Laurel breaks ground on historical mu...

Laurel breaks ground on historical museum

There are 17 comments on the TheTimesTribune.com story from Apr 28, 2008, titled Laurel breaks ground on historical museum. In it, TheTimesTribune.com reports that:

“What we want to do with the genealogical center is focus on the history of the area”

Genealogical center to focus on area history By Brad Hicks / Staff Writer In the near future, those visiting Heritage Hills Park will be able to get a glimpse of the past. via TheTimesTribune.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TheTimesTribune.com.

London Resident

United States

#1 Apr 29, 2008
I don't get it. During such poor economical times, it is insane to spend this amount of money for something that is totally unnecessary.
ha ha

Lexington, KY

#2 Apr 29, 2008
The money is in the bank. It a grant and can only be spent on what it was approved for. The county could only send it back or use it for what it was approved. I am againsted it but it will prove jobs for a few people and hopefully they will buy the building supplys locally. Under peenut carter 10% of the people were without jobs. 20% inflation rate ,18% interest rate on home morgage .So we are No were close to poor economical times.

If the money was sent back it would only be given to another county to put people to work. So do you want the jobs here or in another county.
peebs

Somerset, KY

#4 Apr 29, 2008
ha ha wrote:
The money is in the bank. It a grant and can only be spent on what it was approved for. The county could only send it back or use it for what it was approved. I am againsted it but it will prove jobs for a few people and hopefully they will buy the building supplys locally. Under peenut carter 10% of the people were without jobs. 20% inflation rate ,18% interest rate on home morgage .So we are No were close to poor economical times.
If the money was sent back it would only be given to another county to put people to work. So do you want the jobs here or in another county.
It may be cheaper to send it back. Look at the total project costs and then decide who you are going to tax to make up the difference. This is similar to the cement pond pool project. As I said, it may be cheaper to send it back.
ha ha

Lexington, KY

#5 Apr 30, 2008
yes it would. But the tourist people will never send it back.
Retired

East Bernstadt, KY

#6 Apr 30, 2008
Building this building is just the start of what it will cost. Every month there will be utilities, insurance, maintenance, payroll, janitors. Where is this money going to come from ?? More motel tax or this will be the clincher on a restaurant tax, either that or up the occupational tax, so all of us will agree to the restaurant tax at least out of town people, that will be bringing all these millions into London to go to this museum, will help pay for it.

I agree it would be cheaper to send it back just like the swimming pool money, anybody know what happened on that ?? I haven't heard anything about fundraising for it in quite some time. Have they given up or are they waiting on another grant, it maybe a long wait.
Troy

Somerset, KY

#7 May 6, 2008
This park is a bad idea anyway. I think the main reason it's going there is so the people that bought the surrounding property can sell it to the state via a right of way. Honestly, an amphitheatre by the interstate. Who thought that up?
Agnes

London, KY

#8 May 10, 2008
The history being presented will no doubt be tainted and bias towards the big shots in London/Laurel County just like everything else. I am amazed that they could not find anyone in Laurel County that could be tourism director so they hired someone from Indiana. Facts have a way of being twisted when the elite's money is paid to the right people.
Mr Knowitall

Lexington, KY

#9 May 13, 2008
A huge was of money from the get-go!!!
Build a huge convention center or a water park!!!!
London

United States

#10 May 14, 2008
Just another brainless scheme to take more away from the dying downtown district. I mean really! If London was SO concerned about its heritage they NEVER would have allowed changing the name of the Daniel Boone Pkwy! And leveled all those beautiful wooded hillsides to build more commercial properties and/or churches. How much interest/money does the historical society generate as opposed to sportsmen/women who come to this area? It'll end up being just another money pit like the rest of the state development projects have turned out to be.
mommyto1

Nicholson, GA

#11 May 14, 2008
Where is this Heritage Park?
old man

Lexington, KY

#12 May 14, 2008
London wrote:
Just another brainless scheme to take more away from the dying downtown district. I mean really! If London was SO concerned about its heritage they NEVER would have allowed changing the name of the Daniel Boone Pkwy! And leveled all those beautiful wooded hillsides to build more commercial properties and/or churches. How much interest/money does the historical society generate as opposed to sportsmen/women who come to this area? It'll end up being just another money pit like the rest of the state development projects have turned out to be.
Thank you for showing everyone how dumb you are.
The historical society had nothing to do with it. It was the tourist people.The historical Society has a very nice building (the old heath dep building)
The old sex governor Patton changed the name of all the parkway in ky.NO one had a say in it.So get over it or call the disgrace new governor and have him change it back. According to today newspaper only 39% think he doing a good job. Maybe by changing it back he will pick up a few point . I guess you have forgot this is america and a person can build what he want on his land if he met the building and zoneing laws.
If you want to hunt then go to clay co were they have a lot of land. I very much you would have found any game near a church or commerical land.
Again thank you for showing use how dumb you are. so get a life.
Rog

Manchester, KY

#13 May 14, 2008
I very much you would have found any game near a church or commerical land.

Hey oldman dont call people dumb with the mistakes you made on your post....lmao
Rog

Manchester, KY

#14 May 14, 2008
The old sex governor Patton changed the name of all the parkway in ky So get over it or call the disgrace new governor and have him change it back.

grammer grammer.....haha just kiddin oldman
Local Historian

London, KY

#16 May 14, 2008
The Heritage Park is planned to be built beside I-75 between the London exits, where the party barn is at the end of Falls St. An access road is to be built this year between the exits on the east side of I-75 to give traffic a direct route to it. I don't really understand what is going to be on display there, I'm not sure what heritage London and Laurel Co. can claim. Maybe Wildcat Mt. Battle, Colonel Sanders, Laurel and Woods Creek Lake, Swiss Colony, Levi Jackson most of these are already promoted thru other avenues. I have spoke at many meetings about the local history of Laurel Co. and find that most LOCAL people are interested in the discussions, especially if they have an ancestor that was involved in the early settlement of the area. But people not from the area are bored to death about local history unless you can make it funny and then the locals get upset if you make any of their fore fathers look silly. I just don't see this being a very big tourist attraction, maybe if more information would be released as to what exactly is going to be there might help. A local museum, I doubt people will pay more then once to visit or stay over night just to see it. Where is the attraction for people to want to make a Heritage Park their vacation destination or to even be placed in their list of things to do more then once ? How is this place going to be maintained ? Where is the money going to come from to pay the bills ?

Renfro Valley built their Kentucky Music Hall of Fame and I have passed by there many times during open hours and never over 6 cars in the parking lot. It is alright to visit once but then what is there to bring me back ? NOTHING. Same goes for the big Craft building at Berea, nice to go thru once but why go again ? I have been there a couple of times with out of state visitors and they are delighted the first time but then they ask the same question, what can we do next ?

It has already been mentioned that predominate local families will be highlighted at the museum and my guess is there will have to be some families singled out in hopes of getting enough family contributions to keep the place open.
edward

Cookeville, TN

#17 May 14, 2008
Rog wrote:
I very much you would have found any game near a church or commerical land.
Hey oldman dont call people dumb with the mistakes you made on your post....lmao
You are a pitful person. You need to get a life. old man facts were correct so you have to be a spelling Nazi.Is that your job in life to read everyone post an correct them????
Rog

Manchester, KY

#18 May 14, 2008
edward wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a pitful person. You need to get a life. old man facts were correct so you have to be a spelling Nazi.Is that your job in life to read everyone post an correct them????
Nope but when you call some one dumb you should'nt make mistakes with your spelling because it's like the pot calling the kettle black !!!! so there .....lol
hum

Manchester, KY

#19 May 14, 2008
Rog wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope but when you call some one dumb you should'nt make mistakes with your spelling because it's like the pot calling the kettle black !!!! so there .....lol
Roggie are you Snoope Doggies sock puppet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laurel County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Loved Ones Mourn Missing Laurel County Teen Fou... (Jul '16) Sep 15 Heather Morgan 22
looking for a good woman b Sep 5 JOE 1
ha ha Aug '17 Ooh WOW 3
lesbian·o·nage Aug '17 Minajatwa 2
i'm so horny Aug '17 Imwaiting 3
ha horny Aug '17 Probably have 12
don't you ever do that again Aug '17 Satan 1
More from around the web