Shelters Open in Louisa, Ky... More T...

Shelters Open in Louisa, Ky... More Troops on Way... 12 Fatalities

There are 26 comments on the Huntington News story from Mar 3, 2012, titled Shelters Open in Louisa, Ky... More Troops on Way... 12 Fatalities. In it, Huntington News reports that:

Governor Steve Beshear has authorized a total of 275 National Guard Troops to assist Johnson, Laurel, Magoffin, Menifee and Morgan counties with storm-related damages.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Huntington News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mi daughter

Brooklyn, MI

#1 Mar 3, 2012
I live in Mi. and have not been able to contact my family in Ulysses since yesterday morning. Land and cell phones are not going through. Can anyone tell me if this area was hit by a tornado or strong storm.
Eastern Ky woman

Hodgenville, KY

#2 Mar 3, 2012
Mi daughter wrote:
I live in Mi. and have not been able to contact my family in Ulysses since yesterday morning. Land and cell phones are not going through. Can anyone tell me if this area was hit by a tornado or strong storm.
We had a lot of strong storms and tornados go through the whole tri-state area and there is a lot of power outages and phone lines down. I will pray that your family is safe!
Mi daughter

Brooklyn, MI

#3 Mar 3, 2012
Thank you, if I don't hear from them soon, I am headed there.
well

Winchester, KY

#4 Mar 3, 2012
I think your problem is just no phone service. The most hit was Little Blaine area and the area more farther north than ulysses. I know that cherryville and such were hit. I hope your family is ok and probably are. Just try and be patient and maybe they will contact you soon. God Bless you.
fallsburg

Saint Albans, WV

#5 Mar 3, 2012
What about the Fallsburg area? I also have family I can't get in touch with.I'm worried and can't get ahold of theim..
soccermom

Staffordsville, KY

#6 Mar 3, 2012
Fallsburg is good...Just got phone service & Internet back this morning
friend

Winchester, KY

#7 Mar 3, 2012
I heard fallsburg is ok, just phone lines are down.
fallsburg

Saint Albans, WV

#8 Mar 3, 2012
friend

Winchester, KY

#9 Mar 3, 2012
your welcome hun :)
sister Pinewood SC

Sumter, SC

#10 Mar 3, 2012
Im wondering abaut Louisa ky up 1690 my sister Karen Maynard lives up there I also have a nephew Jason Cook and his family the last I hearthey had all roads blocked on 1690Please if anyone knows anything let me know
I heard

Toledo, OH

#11 Mar 3, 2012
I heard up toward 1690 and out little Blaine got hit pretty hard last night. A little girl and her grandmaw were killed last night. I hope your family and everyone else's family is ok. Praying for everyone effected by the tornado outbreak last night.
friend

Winchester, KY

#12 Mar 3, 2012
I think I know Jason, but not sure does he have a facebook hun?
sister Pinewood SC

Sumter, SC

#13 Mar 3, 2012
I just talked to my family.They are all ok.Says it looks like a war zone.Jason Cook and his family are all ok.It hit Chapman,they still have that part of 1690 shut down.Im so thankful that everyone is ok.God bless everyone.
FYI

Winchester, KY

#14 Mar 3, 2012
Get in touch with the Lawrence county sheriffs office or the emergencie system in lawrence county they can give you the details you want about all of these areas.
zzzzzzzzzzz

Ashland, VA

#15 Mar 4, 2012
For once Topix is being used for something good with nobody commenting stupidly about such a storm.I also have family in Louisa that I cannot reach but have been told by others not to worry.It is only phone service out.As I grew up in Louisa I know the town is not prepared for such an event and it is good to see the people coming together to give information to those seeking it from other towns.Thanks Lawrence Co.
JEM

Prestonsburg, KY

#16 Mar 4, 2012
zzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
For once Topix is being used for something good with nobody commenting stupidly about such a storm.I also have family in Louisa that I cannot reach but have been told by others not to worry.It is only phone service out.As I grew up in Louisa I know the town is not prepared for such an event and it is good to see the people coming together to give information to those seeking it from other towns.Thanks Lawrence Co.
Your family is okay. The only problem is Internet is down...
omg

Harold, KY

#18 Mar 4, 2012
Only 1690 and Martha and Blaine had damage. I think somewhere else around Louisa did too but in town everything is okay.
First

Winchester, KY

#19 Mar 4, 2012
I have lived here all my life and am older, have not ever seen anything like this storm. Hail just late yesterday evening melted off my yard it was so deep and the rain poured such as I have never seen. I actually thought my windows were going to be busted out from hail hitting them. I had no hard wind just rain and hail and it literally beat the small limbs out of trees in my yard. I truely feel for those that had wind with theirs. My neighbors windshields were broken and cars dented all over, it was just a terrible time but worse outside Louisa from what i hear but people are making it, you know we are tough here and we know how to get by, everyone looks out for one another and checks on the neighbors and that is something not found often in big cities, thank god for his mercy.
wondering

Grundy, VA

#20 Mar 4, 2012
Any damage in the Frenchburg area? My family has a cabin near the lake.
Need Info

Jersey City, NJ

#21 Mar 4, 2012
How about the Point Section? Anyone know? I have family in the area.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laurel County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Funny no mention of the 500 feet stay away order Jan 13 LJC 11 8 84 1
Occupational Tax Jan 10 Taxes 1
Danny Radford Jan 8 Mothman58 1
Preacher Darrell Napier Jan 5 Sally 1
Bad Named Bus Driver (Jun '16) Jan 4 bad driver 3
paparazzi jewelry Jan 4 end of a trend 9
Anyone know John Wells I need to talk to him Dec 25 Misty 2
More from around the web