Ky. sheriff arrests 2 for gambling, h...

Ky. sheriff arrests 2 for gambling, having own ATM

There are 49 comments on the WAVE-TV Louisville story from Jun 6, 2012, titled Ky. sheriff arrests 2 for gambling, having own ATM. In it, WAVE-TV Louisville reports that:

Laurel County Sheriff John Root says two men were running gambling machines out of an old funeral home and were arrested in a raid that also resulted in the seizure of 19 machines and nearly $10,000. Deputy Gilbert Acciardo Jr., told the Lexington Herald-Leader that the department received a tip about the machines in a metal building a mile north ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WAVE-TV Louisville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
LBB

Kittanning, PA

#1 Jun 6, 2012
I have wondered when the sheriff was going to do something about these machines, they are all over London.
Hot Rod

Lexington, KY

#2 Jun 6, 2012
LBB wrote:
I have wondered when the sheriff was going to do something about these machines, they are all over London.
Wonder why they don't bust Notth Laurel B P, I guess because they are Brummits,I guess it does make a difference who you are.

Since: Jun 12

Cynthiana, KY

#3 Jun 6, 2012
Why do you care how I spend my money, LBB? I guess the next time you go to London's Wal-Mart, I'll just hop in front of your cashier and say, "NO! LBB is buying something I DON'T LIKE, so don't let LBB BUY IT!" You're almost as dumb as the parents who raised you.
nancy

Annville, KY

#4 Jun 7, 2012
I dont know what the difference is between the lottery, bingo halls, and the machines, exept for the people who make a profit on it. I guess it is ok for the state government to profit on the lottery, but the state does not want any regular person making a living running a gambling bussiness.
Old Man

Greenbrier, AR

#5 Jun 7, 2012
nancy wrote:
I dont know what the difference is between the lottery, bingo halls, and the machines, exept for the people who make a profit on it. I guess it is ok for the state government to profit on the lottery, but the state does not want any regular person making a living running a gambling bussiness.
You answered your own question. The lottery and bingo were voted in my the majority of the people in Ky. and gambling and devices like these machines were not. Short and simple bingo and lottery are legal, gambling is not.
Shout

London, KY

#6 Jun 7, 2012
John Root had a strange explanation as to why they busted illegal gambling places. Not because they were illegal but because people that went there drank and used drugs. Really John?

But those places are illegal and they have the right to shut them down....but just like someone said, why close some and let others (i.e. Brummetts, within a few hundred feet of this location) keep their's open?

In Laurel County and London, it is only illegal if you are not part of the good ole boy club.
l b j

Harrison, AR

#7 Jun 7, 2012
what about the guys that own them do you think they pay tax on them i know a guy says he makes big $$$$ on them and i know he dos not pay anything on it better than selling drugs let the up standing law go after them ? makes you wounder.
Put up or Shut up

Vilonia, AR

#8 Jun 7, 2012
Shout wrote:
John Root had a strange explanation as to why they busted illegal gambling places. Not because they were illegal but because people that went there drank and used drugs. Really John?
But those places are illegal and they have the right to shut them down....but just like someone said, why close some and let others (i.e. Brummetts, within a few hundred feet of this location) keep their's open?
In Laurel County and London, it is only illegal if you are not part of the good ole boy club.
Have you filed a formal complaint about the Brummetts or other places with local authorities? If you have and it has not been taken care of, you do have other avenues that you can take in order to get these places shut down.
LBB

Kittanning, PA

#9 Jun 7, 2012
Hot Rod wrote:
<quoted text>Wonder why they don't bust Notth Laurel B P, I guess because they are Brummits,I guess it does make a difference who you are.
Who gives a big kitty how you spebd your money, gambling machines are ilegal in Ky. period. No matter who you are.
Joe

London, KY

#10 Jun 7, 2012
Shout wrote:
John Root had a strange explanation as to why they busted illegal gambling places. Not because they were illegal but because people that went there drank and used drugs. Really John?
But those places are illegal and they have the right to shut them down....but just like someone said, why close some and let others (i.e. Brummetts, within a few hundred feet of this location) keep their's open?
In Laurel County and London, it is only illegal if you are not part of the good ole boy club.
You have a great point here. But i need to add some to it. Did you know John Root has a first cousin that owns gambling machines? He uses excuses like drugs and drinking to shut places down, However the real reason is they set up shop too close to his cousins places.
Joe

London, KY

#11 Jun 7, 2012
And i just now listened on the news how they charged 2 more people. Chris Asher for supplying the machines and David i cant remember the last name for owning the establishment. HOWEVER ive heard it straight from the horses mouth with the horse being John Root's cousin who owns machines that the last time they picked some of his machines up they was ordered to give them back to him. Not only that but they had to give every penny back as well. Way to go Root.
Joe

London, KY

#12 Jun 7, 2012
Also if you google it you can read stories of 2 judges giving machines and money back to the guy that owns machines in Barbourville. Which would be the same judges here in London. So not only our "Fine" Sheriff is to blame but our Judges as well. Which i dont care if the gambling houses and machines are in London or not. But if you let 1 do it then let them all do it.
Joe

London, KY

#13 Jun 7, 2012
OH YEAH i almost forgot one more little thing. BIG BAD JOHN wants to let on like he got a tip. Failed to mention you already gave that metal building a warning?
Hot Rod

Lexington, KY

#14 Jun 7, 2012
Put up or Shut up wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you filed a formal complaint about the Brummetts or other places with local authorities? If you have and it has not been taken care of, you do have other avenues that you can take in order to get these places shut down.
I'm not stupid,the Brummits and their protection finds out who filed a formal complant, might as well leave Laurel County, there would not be any piece, they would torment them till they had to leave
Joe

London, KY

#15 Jun 7, 2012
Hot Rod wrote:
<quoted text> I'm not stupid,the Brummits and their protection finds out who filed a formal complant, might as well leave Laurel County, there would not be any piece, they would torment them till they had to leave


Actually if you dig into it a little, some high up folks in this town dont like ol Root, however your main top officials do so you probably are correct. But thats why you have your good ol governor.
lisa

Hazard, KY

#16 Jun 7, 2012
I have never heard so many dumb a$$es in my life!!! These machines are NOT illegal!!!HELLO..........The reason this place was busted is that all they had there was the machines???? You couldn't buy milk, gas, softdrinks, cigarettes etc.......
The soul purpose for being there is GAMBLING!!!!!! This place was also "paying out ".
It was soley a gambling joint and I say this THANK YOU SHERIFF ROOT AND STAFF FOR TAKING OUT THE TRASH!!!!
Keep up the good work and pay NO attention to crybabies!!
nancy

Annville, KY

#17 Jun 8, 2012
Old Man wrote:
<quoted text>
You answered your own question. The lottery and bingo were voted in my the majority of the people in Ky. and gambling and devices like these machines were not. Short and simple bingo and lottery are legal, gambling is not.
I know they are illegal, to pay out at least, but that is my point. Why does Ky allow gambling when it comes to the lottery, but wont let a business man run a gambling business? I am sure, if it was legal, the owners would pay taxes and thus, more revenue. If Ky ever wants to see money comming in and jobs to work at, Kentuckians are going to have to remove the stick from their butts, and allow things in. You can not make money, if you dont have trade. The only people who are making money with all the bans and laws are our crooked courts and law.
TackGirl

Ponte Vedra, FL

#18 Jun 8, 2012
Let me get this straight.. London allows some gambling...lottery and bingo halls...but doesn't allow alcohol. Gambling has taken more lives I would believe. Thru loss of finances etc.... just my opinion
resident

Greenbrier, AR

#19 Jun 8, 2012
TackGirl wrote:
Let me get this straight.. London allows some gambling...lottery and bingo halls...but doesn't allow alcohol. Gambling has taken more lives I would believe. Thru loss of finances etc.... just my opinion
First, London does not have any bingo halls. The state of Kentucky allows lottery and leaves alcohol sales as a local option. London does allow alcohol sales in restaurants. Just giving the facts.
LBB

Kittanning, PA

#20 Jun 8, 2012
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
First, London does not have any bingo halls. The state of Kentucky allows lottery and leaves alcohol sales as a local option. London does allow alcohol sales in restaurants. Just giving the facts.
O.K. Your so smart anwser this, what attracts people to play these games, what do they get out of it, are you saying if they win they don't get anything, tell us, how does it work?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laurel County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the guessing game Jul 20 answer this 1
what do women think Jul 20 Judgmental 3
ha horny Jul 20 crazy 9
Redneck Paradise Jul 19 Hank Williams Jr 1
R YOU N or OUT Lisa Dallas TX Jul 19 ball stretching 2
are you in Love Jul 18 Isaiah 11 6
pop-art culture studio preforming arts center Jul 18 Monster under my bed 3
More from around the web