Halloween ghost story or fable?

Halloween ghost story or fable?

There are 21 comments on the TheTimesTribune.com story from Sep 26, 2009, titled Halloween ghost story or fable?. In it, TheTimesTribune.com reports that:

Mabel Martin was the age of my mother and she took me under her wing when my own mom passed away.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TheTimesTribune.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
well

Barbourville, KY

#1 Sep 26, 2009
its a Fable! Black Panthers are not real. like big foot. Science show no prof of black panthers.
Julie

Morocco, IN

#2 Sep 27, 2009
nop they are real .if you every here one you will believe to .i use to here them when i lived on bee creek.they scream just like a woman
well

Dyer, TN

#3 Sep 27, 2009
no, there are melanistic forms of the leopard, jaguar or cougar, which people may consider to be a black panther but the fact is that there is no animal that has been dubbed "panther".
Kitti

Madisonville, KY

#4 Sep 27, 2009
Wow, you really are stupid. A Black Panther is a real animal!
houndhead

Mayfield, KY

#5 Sep 27, 2009
well

Dyer, TN

#6 Sep 27, 2009
Kitti wrote:
Wow, you really are stupid. A Black Panther is a real animal!
wow you are stupid not a real animal!!
well

Dyer, TN

#7 Sep 27, 2009
as i said before. there are melanistic forms of the leopard, jaguar or cougar, which people may consider to be a black panther but the fact is that there is no animal that has been dubbed "panther".

and the only big cat we have that can live here is a couger. that being said.

Black Cougar

There is no evidence to prove the existence of this cat, though many still believe it roams the US. Sightings of black cougars have been reported in Kentucky, but there has been no photographic evidence, nor has one ever been shot and killed. They have also never been bred in captivity. This cat was a large part of Choctaw folk lore, it was said to symbolize death. Most scientists agree that this creature does not exist and is indeed a myth, this is because cougars do not possess the dominant melanistic allele that is required to produce black offspring.
Sightings for these cats are usually made by people who exaggerate the size of the cat, or they are actually seeing a totally different breed of big cat.
well

Dyer, TN

#8 Sep 27, 2009
susan

Fort Myers, FL

#9 Sep 28, 2009
I live in florida and I use to live in Corbin. My mom and sister still live there. There is blank panthers and they are protected animal. They are over florida. They have been know to migrate as far as Ohio.They are not melanistic forms of leopards or jaguars or cougars. They are there own species. Some of you need to go back to school or watch animal planet.
well

Dyer, TN

#10 Sep 28, 2009
can you not read?? show me prof of this!
susan

Fort Myers, FL

#11 Sep 29, 2009
Why is the Florida Panther endangered?
Mistakenly perceived as a threat to humans, livestock and game animals, the panther was persecuted and hunted to near extinction by the mid-1950’s. The U.S. Department of the Interior listed the Florida Panther as endangered in 1967 and congress passed the endangered species act in 1973. As the human population expanded, panthers began to lose more and more habitat (living space). Now the panther faces multiple threats, the largest those is habitat loss, which can be resolved by re-establishing breeding populations in appropriate portions of its former range of the southeastern United States. For more information on current threats to the panther population, see Panther Info.
What has been done to save the panther?
Over the years, several things have been done to save the panther. In 1974 the Big Cypress National Preserve and the Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve were formed and together have conserved over 645,000 acres of panther habitat. In 1981, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Established the Florida Panther Recovery Plan to outline actions to prevent extinction and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission expanded their field research to capture and radio-collar panthers. In 1982, the Florida’s schoolchildren adopted the Florida Panther as the state’s mammal. In 1989 the Florida Panther National Wildlife Refuge was established and today it protects 26,400 acres of panther habitat. In 1993 wildlife crossings and fencing were completed along Interstate 75 and to date several more have been installed along other major roads in the panthers range.

In 1994 the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service approved plans to restore gene flow between the Florida Panther and Texas cougar populations. The panther and the cougar are both subspecies of the mountain lion. Panthers bred naturally with Texas Cougars where their ranges overlapped. This natural exchange of genetic material kept both subspecies of Puma healthy. Unfortunately, the panther population is now isolated in the southern tip of Florida. The program began in 1995 with the introduction of eight female Texas cougars into the panther population. The cougars have accomplished their goal of producing offspring with Florida Panthers and the program was completed in 2001. Genetic Restoration has restored historic gene flow, saving the Florida Panther from certain demise due to inbreeding. The estimated FL panther population in 1995 was 30 to 50, it is now estimated at 50 to 70. While this is good news, reintroduction into appropriate portions of the panther’s historic range is still necessary to ensure its long-term survival. For more information on this program, see Genetic Restoration.

In 2000, several conservationists filed suit against the USFWS, US Army Corp of Engineers and the Federal Highway Administration to protect priority panther habitat in south Florida. For the full press release, go to Defender’s Habitat & Highways Campaign.

In 2001, the US Fish and Wildlife Service formed a new and diverse recovery team that is updating the Florida Panther Recovery Plan to include current research results and plans for future recovery steps. FPS is a member of this team. To learn more about the recovery plan revision, see Recovery News

google black panthers in florida

Jody Lynn

Greenbrier, AR

#12 Sep 30, 2009
Call them what you will. There are large black cats in the woods. I grew up on White Oak, and these cats were a common sight. They sound quite a bit like a woman screaming. My uncle was on the porch next door, heard a "scream" and came running to the house. He thought it was my mother. It was the "cat".
Grover

Thelma, KY

#13 Sep 30, 2009
susan wrote:
I live in florida and I use to live in Corbin. My mom and sister still live there. There is blank panthers and they are protected animal. They are over florida. They have been know to migrate as far as Ohio.They are not melanistic forms of leopards or jaguars or cougars. They are there own species. Some of you need to go back to school or watch animal planet.
This is true my mother was from Clay County and I have heard about this black panther all my life, it's not a real cat it's a ghost. It wasn't trying to hurt anyone it was breathing the gift of a long and happy life into the chest of the ones it chose to give this too. It did really scare people though
Grover

Thelma, KY

#14 Sep 30, 2009
well wrote:
its a Fable! Black Panthers are not real. like big foot. Science show no prof of black panthers.
This is true my mother was from Clay County and I have heard about this black panther all my life, it's not a real cat it's a ghost. It wasn't trying to hurt anyone it was breathing the gift of a long and happy life into the chest of the ones it chose to give this too. It did really scare people though
before insulting others

Morehead, KY

#15 Oct 13, 2009
susan wrote:
From wikipedia dear,
A "black panther" — a melanistic jaguar A black panther is a large black cat. Black panthers are (melanistic) color variants of several species of larger cat. Wild black panthers in Latin America are black jaguars (Panthera onca), in Asia and Africa they are black leopards (Panthera pardus), and in North America reported black panthers may be black jaguars or possibly black cougars (Puma concolor – although this has not been proved to have a black variant), or smaller cats.[1][2] Black panthers are also reported as cryptids in areas such as the United Kingdom and Australia, and for these (if they do exist) the species is not known. Captive black panthers may be black jaguars, or more commonly black leopards. Black panthers have sometimes been regarded as forming different species from their normally-colored relatives. The name "panther" is often limited to the black variants of the species, but is also used to refer to those which are normally-colored for the species (tawny or spotted), or to white color variants: white panthers.
before insulting others

Morehead, KY

#16 Oct 13, 2009
susan wrote:
Why is the Florida Panther endangered?
Mistakenly perceived as a threat to humans, livestock and game animals, the panther was persecuted and hunted to near extinction by the mid-1950’s. The U.S. Department of the Interior listed the Florida Panther as endangered in 1967 and congress passed the endangered species act in 1973. As the human population expanded, panthers began to lose more and more habitat (living space). Now the panther faces multiple threats, the largest those is habitat loss, which can be resolved by re-establishing breeding populations in appropriate portions of its former range of the southeastern United States. For more information on current threats to the panther population, see Panther Info.
What has been done to save the panther?
Over the years, several things have been done to save the panther. In 1974 the Big Cypress National Preserve and the Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve were formed and together have conserved over 645,000 acres of panther habitat. In 1981, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Established the Florida Panther Recovery Plan to outline actions to prevent extinction and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission expanded their field research to capture and radio-collar panthers. In 1982, the Florida’s schoolchildren adopted the Florida Panther as the state’s mammal. In 1989 the Florida Panther National Wildlife Refuge was established and today it protects 26,400 acres of panther habitat. In 1993 wildlife crossings and fencing were completed along Interstate 75 and to date several more have been installed along other major roads in the panthers range.
In 1994 the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service approved plans to restore gene flow between the Florida Panther and Texas cougar populations. The panther and the cougar are both subspecies of the mountain lion. Panthers bred naturally with Texas Cougars where their ranges overlapped. This natural exchange of genetic material kept both subspecies of Puma healthy. Unfortunately, the panther population is now isolated in the southern tip of Florida. The program began in 1995 with the introduction of eight female Texas cougars into the panther population. The cougars have accomplished their goal of producing offspring with Florida Panthers and the program was completed in 2001. Genetic Restoration has restored historic gene flow, saving the Florida Panther from certain demise due to inbreeding. The estimated FL panther population in 1995 was 30 to 50, it is now estimated at 50 to 70. While this is good news, reintroduction into appropriate portions of the panther’s historic range is still necessary to ensure its long-term survival. For more information on this program, see Genetic Restoration.
In 2000, several conservationists filed suit against the USFWS, US Army Corp of Engineers and the Federal Highway Administration to protect priority panther habitat in south Florida. For the full press release, go to Defender’s Habitat & Highways Campaign.
In 2001, the US Fish and Wildlife Service formed a new and diverse recovery team that is updating the Florida Panther Recovery Plan to include current research results and plans for future recovery steps. FPS is a member of this team. To learn more about the recovery plan revision, see Recovery News
google black panthers in florida
The florida panther is just a name for a type of cougar and its not black.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_panther
Cat Guy

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Oct 13, 2009
What about the Carolina Panthers, I dare some one to prove to me they are not real!!!
Yep

Somerset, KY

#20 Oct 13, 2009
I've heard a stories from two different people about these cats. I've always heard them referred to as "black panthers" whether they are an actual species or not. Maybe it's a black cougar, jaguar or leopard, but they were definitely black.

The first one was from my older brother who said he was hunting in the woods across from our house back in the 70's. He said something was flanking him in the bushes as he walked and all he could see was a big, dark cat, which he referred to as a black panther. It scared him pretty bad and he ran out of the woods.

The other story was from my neighbor about a camping trip they took in Harlan up on a mountain back in the 70's. He said one night they had a campfire going and were just laying down to go to sleep and he heard them up higher on the mountain. He said they screamed just like a woman and it would make your hair stand up and get goose bumps.

I had heard other stories about black panthers, but can't remember them as well as these. So there is definitely a black cat out there that screams like a woman and stalks the shadows in this part of the country. I'd say due to their habitat being encroached upon by population booms, they are harder to find now. Most are probably high in the mountains now with the occasional local spotting.
blackcat

Lexington, KY

#21 Oct 14, 2009
They are deffinately real. Use to see them in Letcher County when I lived there.
MEME from TN

Gorham, IL

#22 Oct 21, 2009
well wrote:
can you not read?? show me prof of this!
Here dip, check out this link and photo from 2008. Black Panthers have been seen in Whitley County since 1940's.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/15456121.h...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laurel County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Loved Ones Mourn Missing Laurel County Teen Fou... Aug 18 sad loss 8
Bad Named Bus Driver Jul 30 call it trash 2
News London councilman arrested for speeding, suspen... (Jan '09) Jul 28 Betty Whitee 52
Laurel County abandoned structures ordanance Jul 28 Betty Whitee 2
Phillip Josph smith is a sex offender Jul '16 Manchester dad 1
News Georgia Fugitive Found In Ky. Waives Extradition Jun '16 Johnny Reb 1
who is sleeping with chris terry from ruby tues... Jun '16 Maintance man 4
More from around the web