Jail goes to video visitation

Jail goes to video visitation

There are 39 comments on the The Sentinel-Echo story from Jun 13, 2013, titled Jail goes to video visitation. In it, The Sentinel-Echo reports that:

LAUREL COUNTY, Ky. - The Laurel County Detention Center recently implemented a video visitation program for inmates and their families.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Sentinel-Echo.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
I wonder

United States

#1 Jun 13, 2013
Does this mean that the visits are Recorded now? Does this mean that if they are recorded the jail staff and county officials can now view them?
Been There

Bolivar, MO

#2 Jun 13, 2013
I wonder wrote:
Does this mean that the visits are Recorded now? Does this mean that if they are recorded the jail staff and county officials can now view them?
There always has been a big sign up telling you all conversations are recorded,phone calls too,what difference would the video make,you have to show id so they already know who you are.
floorman

Buford, GA

#3 Jun 14, 2013
Hell I don't want to look at someone through a camera .i had totally rather see them at the jail .to see them in person
Motherof5

Dallas, TX

#4 Jun 16, 2013
They are charging $15 for a 30 minute video visit?? Another way for the jailer to make more $$$ off the poor. This makes me ill! Charging prisoners to have contact with their families!! If you have anyone in the Laurel County Jail, please visit them, make sure they are allowed phone calls, if you see anything they are doing illegal, please please notify the authorities...(Outside of Laurel County) Immediately!
hohoho

London, KY

#5 Jun 16, 2013
Motherof5 wrote:
They are charging $15 for a 30 minute video visit?? Another way for the jailer to make more $$$ off the poor. This makes me ill! Charging prisoners to have contact with their families!! If you have anyone in the Laurel County Jail, please visit them, make sure they are allowed phone calls, if you see anything they are doing illegal, please please notify the authorities...(Outside of Laurel County) Immediately!
If they cared about seeing their families they wouldnt be doing things to get in jail to be away from them.
Why should tax payers have to pay for all their expenses.
People b!tch about food stamps..any idea how much more it costs to pay for all these criminals to say in jails.
Flea Collar

United States

#6 Jun 16, 2013
I thought the $15 charge was for outta state visits? over video?
I can understand a charge for an outta state visit, but wonder if $15 is a bit high? Family members locally want to see their loved one in person not over a camera.
Motherof5 wrote:
abcde

Richmond, KY

#7 Jun 17, 2013
hohoho wrote:
<quoted text>
If they cared about seeing their families they wouldnt be doing things to get in jail to be away from them.
Why should tax payers have to pay for all their expenses.
People b!tch about food stamps..any idea how much more it costs to pay for all these criminals to say in jails.
just because they put their stupid selves in there for whatever reason, doesn't mean their family doesn't love them and that the family should suffer too because they are in there. that inmate in there is either someone's "son/daughter, brother/sister, father/mother, and/or husband/wife"! charging the family to see them is just LAUREL COUNTY'S way of making more crooked money!!!
and NO, i know no one in jail! just seen this post on topix and thought it was stupid that Laurel County charges families for seeing their loved one in jail and having them see them on video!!!

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#8 Jun 17, 2013
If they don't like the fees, they should stay out of jail.
Motherof5 wrote:
saw this on the news

London, KY

#9 Jun 17, 2013
the prisoners get 1 free video chat a week and if they want to video chat with their family more than that then it cost $15.00 per session, so if they wanted to they could see their loved ones every day with the video chat, but it would cost them $15.00 each day. what i'm wondering is how are the family's that don't have a computer or access to the internet suppose to see family member that is incarcerated?
Paladin

United States

#10 Jun 17, 2013
This is a very good point. In some cases I can see using video visits particularly if a family member cannot travel or elderly.
saw this on the news wrote:
the prisoners get 1 free video chat a week and if they want to video chat with their family more than that then it cost $15.00 per session, so if they wanted to they could see their loved ones every day with the video chat, but it would cost them $15.00 each day. what i'm wondering is how are the family's that don't have a computer or access to the internet suppose to see family member that is incarcerated?
more bs

Mount Vernon, KY

#11 Jun 18, 2013
Just another example of jails "punishing" the families, sucking as much money as they can from them. Just like the ridiculous collect call fees that the jail makes a profit from or selling overpriced goods to the inmates. I am not defending violators that land in jail here, I am defending their families. Justice is just another big business. While there are some decent guards and administrators in the business, psychological profile studies find that the type of person that becomes a guard were not popular in school when growing up and are generally anti-social type personalities. They get the jobs to enjoy their power trip because they could not achieve respect in the real world. Locking up non-violent offenders is just plain dumb, make them work and pay their own way instead of sucking up tax dollars and then raping their families.
Well

Flat Lick, KY

#12 Jun 18, 2013
more bs wrote:
Just another example of jails "punishing" the families, sucking as much money as they can from them. Just like the ridiculous collect call fees that the jail makes a profit from or selling overpriced goods to the inmates. I am not defending violators that land in jail here, I am defending their families. Justice is just another big business. While there are some decent guards and administrators in the business, psychological profile studies find that the type of person that becomes a guard were not popular in school when growing up and are generally anti-social type personalities. They get the jobs to enjoy their power trip because they could not achieve respect in the real world. Locking up non-violent offenders is just plain dumb, make them work and pay their own way instead of sucking up tax dollars and then raping their families.
If families kept their own off drugs they wouldn't have to be there.
ino

London, KY

#13 Jun 18, 2013
All it really does is give them more time to read topix,and be sure they're ready with the lightbulbs and nuts. They won't even let them have mail any more, because they don't want to open it to make sure there's nothing in it. This has been ruled unconstitutional by the way.
LOL

United States

#15 Jun 18, 2013
So will taxes go down now? Say we have 100 inmates and 50 of them pay for a second visit at $15 a visit that's an extra $750 a week the jail is brining in. Do $750 times 4 weeks out of a month and you get $3000 extra a month. Now take that and times it by 12 months and you get $36000 a year. Now I'm sure that will increase like crazy due to holidays/birthdays and of course desperate baby mommas.

You know what, on second thought no. Taxes won't go down, they'll go up. I can already hear the speech now "Well, we need the extra money to keep foot traffic down at the jail and to upgrade the internet speed and quality of video chat so we can give our inmates and families the feeling their face to face, not miles away. We feel this is a better solution and our way of moving forward not only with technology but with the 21'st century."
LOL

United States

#16 Jun 18, 2013
Well wrote:
<quoted text>
If families kept their own off drugs they wouldn't have to be there.
If any of my family get's locked up for any reason they won't be seeing me. Sure everyone messes up sooner or later, but you are your own boss when it comes to right or wrong. Drugs in this town? HAHA is that a joke? You know why drugs are so bad in this town? Lack of jobs, plethora of lazy people, lack of judges willing to use the book. How many people do you see in the paper being arrested on second and third offenses of drugs? I see it all the time, I seen one name in the paper 5 times in a matter of months over drugs. Like I said in another post this town is nothing more than a bunch of want to be good ol boys living in what they think is a good old Mayberry scenario.

Foot notes for some of you plethora means an excess of.
I need

London, KY

#17 Jun 18, 2013
LOL wrote:
So will taxes go down now? Say we have 100 inmates and 50 of them pay for a second visit at $15 a visit that's an extra $750 a week the jail is brining in. Do $750 times 4 weeks out of a month and you get $3000 extra a month. Now take that and times it by 12 months and you get $36000 a year. Now I'm sure that will increase like crazy due to holidays/birthdays and of course desperate baby mommas.
You know what, on second thought no. Taxes won't go down, they'll go up. I can already hear the speech now "Well, we need the extra money to keep foot traffic down at the jail and to upgrade the internet speed and quality of video chat so we can give our inmates and families the feeling their face to face, not miles away. We feel this is a better solution and our way of moving forward not only with technology but with the 21'st century."
A lot of stuff should go down if the jails and prisons didnt have to be funded.We spend way more on the prison system than we do education.They should give their a$$ bread and water and no frills what so ever and hard labor then so many wouldnt be living in prison.Some live there rather than provide for themself.They have shelter,food and daily needs met so they choose that rather than working.If it wasnt so comfy and the leeches wouldnt be going back so often.
Punkinhead

London, KY

#18 Jun 18, 2013
Good about time. Zero contact with the outside world. No more overdosed prisoners spending my tax dollars at the ER. No more sex for drugs. No more control over your loved ones. No down side I see.

Yeah granny smuggles H under her dentures.
woundering

Charleston, WV

#19 Jun 19, 2013
more bs wrote:
The next time you go their just tell the chief jailer that you want to down size the care for your love one that is in jail.for what ever he/she has done he will give you a form that has a list of accommodations that the state or county offer on it, all you have to do is[ mark through] the things that they let him or her have for staying their like health care, food, tv,lights,clean clothes,clean sheets an dential eye dential care to name a few that way maby it wont cost you the $15.00 to get to talk to them
carrie Ann

Hazard, KY

#20 Jun 19, 2013
Motherof5 wrote:
And while they are doing all this. There is no reason for them not to have a website where they list all the inmates in the Laurel co jail and arrest and violations for being there. Its strange that most every county has this available to the public except for Laurel Co. Oh but then I forget everything in Laurel co is a big secret.
wander

Somerset, KY

#21 Jun 20, 2013
when will this happen?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laurel County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
i'm so horny 15 hr Imwaiting 3
ha horny 15 hr Probably have 12
lesbianˇoˇnage 19 hr feminism 1
don't you ever do that again Mon Satan 1
the guessing game Mon ha ha 3
News She poured gasoline over her husband, set him o... Aug 11 justice 2
I am a passionate girl Jul 31 Lily 1
More from around the web