Bennett Center sold

Bennett Center sold

There are 58 comments on the The Sentinel-Echo story from Mar 4, 2014, titled Bennett Center sold. In it, The Sentinel-Echo reports that:

LAUREL COUNTY, Ky. - Despite a laundry list of repairs and renovations, London native Jim Hays couldn't suppress a smile as he journeyed from building to building of the former Sue Bennett College campus in downtown London on Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Sentinel-Echo.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
healing arts

Somerset, KY

#1 Mar 9, 2014
awesome ,do something great with it .
WOW

Mount Vernon, KY

#2 Mar 9, 2014
Ain't that place haunted? Or were those just stories?
healing arts

London, KY

#4 Mar 10, 2014
turn it into a fitness center
Jim Hayes

La Vergne, TN

#5 Mar 10, 2014
Look my mom an dad are still there teaching so give it a break.
Sue Bennett Graduate

Mount Vernon, KY

#7 Mar 10, 2014
Jim Hayes wrote:
Look my mom an dad are still there teaching so give it a break.
We should wish Laurel County had more citizens like Jim Hayes and the Hayes family. I will always be thankful for them. Like many others, their efforts enabled me to get through college and go on to graduate school, something that would not have been possible without Sue Bennett college. I can't think of another family in this county that's impacted more lives. While Dr. Hayes is gone, Jim continues to contribute to London and I suspect his most important work is ahead. The acquisition of this property and its future development will greatly benefit our region.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#10 Mar 10, 2014
I only met Jim Hayes 3 weeks ago in a restaurant and we talked about this. I wish him nothing but good fortune on this project.

It's a big risk to lay out big bucks on a project like this. It's pretty easy to throw in your two cents from the cheap seats...

I think it's a lovely property, Jim!
in-quiz-a-tive

London, KY

#11 Mar 10, 2014
Laurel Patriot wrote:
I only met Jim Hayes 3 weeks ago in a restaurant and we talked about this. I wish him nothing but good fortune on this project.
It's a big risk to lay out big bucks on a project like this. It's pretty easy to throw in your two cents from the cheap seats...
I read in the local newspaper that there were three (3) buyers. Who were the other two?
Figureitout

London, KY

#15 Mar 11, 2014
Laurel Patriot wrote:
Lmao Remember the only reason he wants it is so he can go up there and sit in the old office and pretend the students are still on campus. In his mind they never have left there. As far as what I seen in a previous post is that it is haunted. Well its only haunted by one person .lol.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#16 Mar 11, 2014
Figureitout wrote:
<quoted text>Lmao Remember the only reason he wants it is so he can go up there and sit in the old office and pretend the students are still on campus. In his mind they never have left there. As far as what I seen in a previous post is that it is haunted. Well its only haunted by one person .lol.
What a mean spirited post.... I've made money on everything from beachfront to slums. Maybe I'll drop by at some point and have a chat with Jim...
Bottom Line

Mount Vernon, KY

#17 Mar 11, 2014
Figureitout wrote:
<quoted text>Lmao Remember the only reason he wants it is so he can go up there and sit in the old office and pretend the students are still on campus. In his mind they never have left there. As far as what I seen in a previous post is that it is haunted. Well its only haunted by one person .lol.
Hayes investment suggest he has more in mind than sitting in an office and reflecting. That property consists of over 50 acres and many buildings. Properly developed it could and will be a gold mine. Laugh all you want, but Hayes will have the last laugh. Jealousy is so tacky.
funnysofunny

London, KY

#18 Mar 11, 2014
Bottom Line wrote:
<quoted text>
Hayes investment suggest he has more in mind than sitting in an office and reflecting. That property consists of over 50 acres and many buildings. Properly developed it could and will be a gold mine. Laugh all you want, but Hayes will have the last laugh. Jealousy is so tacky.
That's so funny . It will never be developed. Unless you can hand a chandelier on a tree. If the Hayes had kept their nose out of things we would still have had a college in London.
Big secret

London, KY

#19 Mar 12, 2014
in-quiz-a-tive wrote:
<quoted text>I read in the local newspaper that there were three (3) buyers. Who were the other two?
Big secret about the other two buyers!!!!!Why???
Secrets

London, KY

#20 Mar 12, 2014
Big secret wrote:
<quoted text>Big secret about the other two buyers!!!!!Why???
London is full of hidden secrets and a lot of other people hidden in the closet or they thing they are.
A Rough in the Diamond

London, KY

#21 Mar 12, 2014
Several years ago it was offered to the Fiscal Court. However, there was a catch. While the United Methodists Women's Division (or whatever their official title is) owns it and was willing to sell it, they wanted to keep control of it. I guess that didn't work as most people buying something like to control it. Anyway, the deal fell through.

This deal was at a substantially lower price than the one asked of the Fiscal Court. Really, the Fiscal Court, nor the City of London found any use for it at the time. About all anyone could do with it, without major investment, is use it as some sort of school, either a college, private, or specialized school.

Fifty acres in the middle of London might be nice to own at the right price but really it's like owning 50 acres in Detroit. What are you going to do with it?
Speculator

East Bernstadt, KY

#22 Mar 12, 2014
A Rough in the Diamond wrote:
Several years ago it was offered to the Fiscal Court. However, there was a catch. While the United Methodists Women's Division (or whatever their official title is) owns it and was willing to sell it, they wanted to keep control of it. I guess that didn't work as most people buying something like to control it. Anyway, the deal fell through.
This deal was at a substantially lower price than the one asked of the Fiscal Court. Really, the Fiscal Court, nor the City of London found any use for it at the time. About all anyone could do with it, without major investment, is use it as some sort of school, either a college, private, or specialized school.
Fifty acres in the middle of London might be nice to own at the right price but really it's like owning 50 acres in Detroit. What are you going to do with it?
This is not Detroit and that land alone is worth more than its reported sales price. I am guessing between the apartments, and the buildings currently occupied its bringing in six to eight thousand a month. With work that could easily double. I have bought, sold and developed property in this area for years and Hayes stole this deal.
Citizens

London, KY

#23 Mar 12, 2014
Speculator wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not Detroit and that land alone is worth more than its reported sales price. I am guessing between the apartments, and the buildings currently occupied its bringing in six to eight thousand a month. With work that could easily double. I have bought, sold and developed property in this area for years and Hayes stole this deal.
Yes it was stolen and you wait and see if there want be a lot of the taxpayers money stolen to fix his office .
A Rough in the Diamond

London, KY

#24 Mar 14, 2014
Speculator wrote:
<quoted text>
Rule of thumb it should be bringing in 20,000 considering $2,000.000 purchase price. But if the plan to sell the theater to the City for $700.000 works out then the purchase price is not so much. Some of the buildings are usable as is, but the estimate to fix the buildings and bring them to code is another $1-1.5 M.

The land is worth what? What you can get out of it. But nobody wants to build anything in downtown London except parking lots, which it needs. Maybe another bank. Really just a bunch of old run down buildings with a tax price tag of $14,000.
fkfk

Sevierville, TN

#25 Mar 14, 2014
Hmmmm
A Rough in the Diamond

London, KY

#26 Mar 14, 2014
Big secret wrote:
<quoted text>Big secret about the other two buyers!!!!!Why???
There's no real secret. He was with them at Local 131 today (that's where you can find him LP if you want to talk). and there was no secret. Maybe he'll make a spoon bread factory.
I know

London, KY

#27 Mar 14, 2014
More lawyer offices.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laurel County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Church Mar 22 Jake 1
Cheating on a preacher Pam fuson Mar 19 Ashley 1
Scooter Dugger Mar 11 Jharrison0119 1
Camping at Laurel lake Mar 3 Tyler 2
Velvet arlene myers Feb '17 Motor boat 5
News Loved Ones Mourn Missing Laurel County Teen Fou... (Jul '16) Jan '17 Sorryforyourloss 20
Chicks or chickens Jan '17 417cowboy 1
More from around the web