Suspect killed in Berthoud shooting

Nov 9, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: ReporterHerald.com

A domestic violence call last night in Berthoud ended with the suspect being shot and killed.

Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Feb 14, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned Citizen

Evergreen, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

I knew this individual and live just one block west of his house. He has two kids they are very, very well mannered and plight. He minded his own business and also came across as very mild and plight individual. He expressed his individualism whith the big American flag and a big Conferderate flag. His vehicle was vandalized several times because of that display. He took that in good stride and just replace and fixed what was damanged. We discussied politics several times. Didn't care for what Big Brother has done to the USA. Just wanted to be left alone and persue his liberties. You can't do that if you live inside a city. He never made me think of him as threat. To bad that he has been executed by the KGB JackBoot Nazis. He is survived by his wife and two kids!
Mom

Boulder, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

My 18 yr old college son knew this man from his scout troop. He was one of the advisors. My son is quite upset and trying to understand why this happened. He was a great, helpful guy to my son...a big gun advocate. He helped my son work on his old car. I hope the kids he knew will be able to find some closure eventually in this. My prayers to his family.
Concerned Citizen

Littleton, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Mom wrote:
My 18 yr old college son knew this man from his scout troop. He was one of the advisors. My son is quite upset and trying to understand why this happened. He was a great, helpful guy to my son...a big gun advocate. He helped my son work on his old car. I hope the kids he knew will be able to find some closure eventually in this. My prayers to his family.

We should try to raise some monies for the family, he didn't have much monies and did odd end jobs to supplement his famlies income. I will try to see what the neighbores have to say.
sane person

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Judged:

According to the news story, this man came outside and oppened fire at the police ...what were these so called "kgb" supposed to do?
Concerned Citizen

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

sane person wrote:
According to the news story, this man came outside and oppened fire at the police ...what were these so called "kgb" supposed to do?
I'm skeptical of police reports, I'll try to talk to the wife when the time is right and then the truth will be know. If he opened up on the KGB then they have a right to defend themselfes, but remember where their presence actually needed? Who is in charge of the crime scene? I just don't have much respect for Law Enforcement any more have seen to much and to many lies over time.
A friend

Longmont, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Not sure of this "concerned citizen",if you really know them, then you should know how many children they really have. And we really don't know what goes on behind closed doors. The police did not show up on there door because they had nothing better to do. Just saying.........
Sarah Hill

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

I knew Ben. His greatest love were his 4 children. I expect this incident had more to do with that love than anything. He loved Our Country, his Native Cherokee heritage and his southern heritage, thus the confederate flag. His desire was to educate people about the truth of the "civil war", Not to advocate slavery.
Eventhoug a person can have a moment of anger, or rage,it does Not define them nor does it negate their life prior to the incident.
Benjamin Daniel Haskew was an Honorable man, a Loving and Protective Father....and he will be greatly missed by his friends.
Concerned Citizen

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

A friend wrote:
Not sure of this "concerned citizen",if you really know them, then you should know how many children they really have. And we really don't know what goes on behind closed doors. The police did not show up on there door because they had nothing better to do. Just saying.........
Hey friend I didn't know that he had four Kids just met the boy and a girl. Ben Never told me we just discussed politics a few time and he seemed very plight. Thanks for the input and I feel really bad for the Kids and wife. We should always think twice before calling the Police, because once that call is made, we have lost all control.
Sarah Hill

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

Concerned Citizen wrote:
<quoted text> Hey friend I didn't know that he had four Kids just met the boy and a girl. Ben Never told me we just discussed politics a few time and he seemed very plight. Thanks for the input and I feel really bad for the Kids and wife. We should always think twice before calling the Police, because once that call is made, we have lost all control.
... and that loss of control cost the life of a good man.
Pay Attention

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

Did you not read in the first sentence of the story that the cops were called out for domestic violence? Sounds like a real "honorable" man to me. Some one had to have called in to report it, either the wife, children or a neighbor.
rbonilla

Berthoud, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

that's sad....
Concerned Citizen

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

Pay Attention wrote:
Did you not read in the first sentence of the story that the cops were called out for domestic violence? Sounds like a real "honorable" man to me. Some one had to have called in to report it, either the wife, children or a neighbor.
He pay attention the word "Domestic violence" is very vauge and abused word by the Government! It's like "road rage" I honk at someone for driving stupid not paying attention to road or driving the car. Texting, Cell phone Tailgating. It's all called road rage if your the first one that calls it in to the Government.
I don't know what happend and till the phone calls are released and the Wife gets to tell here story I'm on the side of the Dead man. Remember Dead men don't speak!
Concerned Citizen

Littleton, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2010

Judged:

Hey sane person, it becoming obviouse that no family member were in the house. Now the Government condtradictions are starting to appear. One shot fired by Ben, walking around with a long rifle. Two shots fired then four by the excecution squad. As you can see they didn't need to kill this man. It took them more then 24 HR's to clear that scene.

Here is a good one. This is before I knew nothing about a shooting or that Ben was involved.I walked by the scene after dropping of my girl at the Elementry school and they had almost two houses blocked plus the street. I asked one of the Storm Troopers. " I hope nothing real Bad happened" His relpy " No nothing happened" What an ASS! I hope some low life criminal Illegal beams his ASS up.
Friend

Littleton, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2010

Sarah Hill wrote:
<quoted text>
... and that loss of control cost the life of a good man.
So what do you think caused someone at that house to call for police?
Charlie

Calhan, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2010

Im wondering about the time frame - What time did the berthoud police call for a swat team ? and How long did it take for the swat team to respond to the stand off ??
voice for children

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2010

My thoughts and prayers go out to the children.

They should have a voice and are the ones who know what was happening in the home.

There was a disturbance and a man with firearms whom is suspected for domestic violence came out of the house with a rifle in tow.

This same man was heard making racially disparaging comments in reference to a recent traffic violation. The town of berthoud and the police have the right to investigate. To investigate the same man that was allowed to train young boy scouts.
Friend

Littleton, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

"Voice for children", you were ok until your last paragraph.
I don't think you want to have a "voice for the children", in fact
I think you might be "concerned whatever", with spellcheck.
That man was my sons assistant scout leader.
He did a fine job at that, the truck in the photo
was the one that hauled the troops stuff up mountains
and back. Every time, any weather.
Truly what happened that night does not square with my perception of the man I knew.
Pete in Boulder

Reno, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

I disagree with the “official police” version of what happened. I knew Ben well enough to know that he would never fire at law enforcement. As to why CSU officers where there???? A swat team for domestic disturbance? Isn’t that a bit much. I think an officer saw a rifle and fired first. Ben cared more about his kids than anything else. Personally I don’t think we will ever know what really happened. The police are good at covering each others butts.
R.I.P. Ben ‘redneck’ Haskew, you’ll be sadly missed by your family and friends.
WRW

Bedford, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

He was in a loveless marriage, He was never going to live with out his children. He was drunk and his wife had taken his children away. He home schooled his 4 children. He needed help but always had a smile and looked toward God for that. Yes he had weapons but for his protection. Abeit a few to many but he was collecter of not just guns but knives also. Ben your Voice was heard that night, and God answered as you would not live without your children as after the comotion, you would not see them as you liked. You rest in Peace you crazy Redneck and guide your children in the right direction from where you are now. God Bless to all involved.
Friend

Littleton, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

WRW

"you would not live without your children as after the comotion, you would not see them as you liked."

The kids have to live with this, are you going to put it all on their heads?????

Why??

Maybe he was drunk, perhaps that is some small explanation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Larimer County Discussions

Search the Larimer County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
RH Line calls printed June 9, 2014 Jun '14 Benjamin Spock 1
Man shot by police in Colorado town ID'd Jun '14 Fort Collins is crap 1
Loveland police officer hurt Mar '14 Morrilyn Donaway 1
Colorado's solution to 420 sign theft: Mile mar... (Jan '14) Jan '14 SUJ 3
Haleigh Cummings (Oct '13) Jan '14 Kolby 2
As Colorado Floodwaters Recede The Damage Becom... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Elisha 1
Larimer Co: Dam broke, more in danager (Sep '13) Sep '13 Ariel 1
•••
•••