N. Ind. funnel cloud grabs deputy, car

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

A sheriff's detective following a funnel cloud on Thursday had her patrol car picked up and lifted over a 3-foot-high fence before landing upside down in a field.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of28
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
mykidzmom

New Castle, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

THANK YOU LORD
Deadeye

Elkhart, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

mykidzmom wrote:
THANK YOU LORD
thanks for the tornado

“Si Vis Pacem, Parabellum”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

It's a good thing sheriff's deputies wear brown pants.
Meatball

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

Why was the deputy following the funnel cloud? Don't we generally move, call me crazy here, AWAY from tornadoes?
weathernut

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

Funnel clouds don't cause damage on the ground. If the patrol car was picked up, it is a tornado by definition.
Bryan

Shelbyville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

Meatball wrote:
Why was the deputy following the funnel cloud? Don't we generally move, call me crazy here, AWAY from tornadoes?
You would think.
Indy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

Wonder why it didn't sound like a freight train?
Indy

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

It used to be policy that sheriffs deputies has to have visual confirmation of a tornado. That is why the deputy would be going towards the tornado and not away. Not sure if this is still the case.
Bryan

Shelbyville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

Indy wrote:
It used to be policy that sheriffs deputies has to have visual confirmation of a tornado. That is why the deputy would be going towards the tornado and not away. Not sure if this is still the case.
Ok but why would you get in front of the thing. You always want to keep it ahead of you.

I hope the hell she wasn't trying to arrest it. LOL
abc

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

That'll teach her to mess with Mother Nature!
nonsequitor

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

weathernut wrote:
Funnel clouds don't cause damage on the ground. If the patrol car was picked up, it is a tornado by definition.
In a supercell there are two areas that generate wind damage, the outflow at the leading edge of the cell (straight line winds) and the rotating updraft that feeds the cell at the rear. A funnel cloud is just a manifestation of the intensity of the supercell updraft. As the intensity increases, the winds are sucked in closer to the ground and ultimately a tornado is born. Sometimes a tornado looks like a funnel cloud because the condensation cone does not reach the ground. This does not mean that a tornado hasn't formed. Weathernut is right and the deputy needs to be trained a little better about tornadoes.

“real thinker”

Since: Mar 07

indy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

Too funny nice going barnette
Steve

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

A conservation officer was lucky to be alive after the 20 Sep 2002 tornado:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/public/novdec02/digest....
joe

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

he's right!
nonsequitor wrote:
<quoted text>
In a supercell there are two areas that generate wind damage, the outflow at the leading edge of the cell (straight line winds) and the rotating updraft that feeds the cell at the rear. A funnel cloud is just a manifestation of the intensity of the supercell updraft. As the intensity increases, the winds are sucked in closer to the ground and ultimately a tornado is born. Sometimes a tornado looks like a funnel cloud because the condensation cone does not reach the ground. This does not mean that a tornado hasn't formed. Weathernut is right and the deputy needs to be trained a little better about tornadoes.

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

dorthy?
Smoke in Mirrors

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

Meatball wrote:
I don't know about that particular agency, but our agency requires us to following the tornado. Someone has to report the path and direction of the storm. We can't always rely on the Doppler radars to be 100%. I know it sounds crazy, but it is true.
Smoke in Mirrors

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

Indy wrote:
Yes, it is for our agency. As crazy as it is, we are required to keep a visual of the tornado for reporting purposes. The Doppler Radar is not always 100% accurate as we all know.
Meatball

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

Bryan wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok but why would you get in front of the thing. You always want to keep it ahead of you.
I hope the hell she wasn't trying to arrest it. LOL
For what? Speeding?

“I'll just say it”

Since: Apr 07

Indy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

Seatbelts save lives! Whew!
Meatball

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

Colaxais wrote:
It's a good thing sheriff's deputies wear brown pants.
Hahahaha

Thank you very much for the chuckle this morning!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of28
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••