isitor to Westville Correctional charged

May 27, 2009 Full story: Chesterton Tribune 10

An Elkhart resident was arrested Tuesday on charges of possession of marijuana and intent to traffic with an offender after the Indiana Department of Corrections said that she attempted to smuggle marijuana and contraband to an offender on a visit to the Westville Correctional Facility .

Read more
no need to know

La Porte, IN

#1 Jun 5, 2009
How stupid can she be! She had kidsnow whos gonna be there to help raise them, no one but someone who don't know them. Guess the kids are better off anyways!!
Joanne

Phoenix, AZ

#2 Mar 21, 2010
the situation here is because of the gangs and some inmates trying to stay alive. a gang will threaten an inmate and say you need to have so and so bring this in to us or we will kill you. what would you do if you had your life threatened. tell the co's? yeah right!! they are bringing in drugs too and connecting with outside family for money for the inmates life too. do you still think that is stupid??
jason

Wilmington, NC

#3 May 8, 2010
i was in inmate in indiana for 9 years, 5 of them at westville. yes gangs are a problem there. there is not much of that going on. it is more of there is so much trafficking going on. there are co's and other staff there that are also in gangs and help the inmates out.
159093DAP

Elkhart, IN

#4 Sep 29, 2010
Ummmm I done 21 months in Westville, it's not an easy prison but it's not like that no one is going to make you do anything you don't want to there...
Joanne wrote:
the situation here is because of the gangs and some inmates trying to stay alive. a gang will threaten an inmate and say you need to have so and so bring this in to us or we will kill you. what would you do if you had your life threatened. tell the co's? yeah right!! they are bringing in drugs too and connecting with outside family for money for the inmates life too. do you still think that is stupid??
trouble

Pryor, OK

#5 Jan 8, 2011
You know I understand there is alot of anger out there toward corrections, but let me tell you I am an officer and I have never brought anything into the prison, and I have alot of co-workers that can also say the same. I know there are crooked officers, and there are inmates that threaten other inmates, but to tell you the truth, its not like you think, years ago yes but now, No. These guys join these gangs to fit in not for security! Its just something to do and to brag about. I will tell you that prison sucks on both sides of the stick and if you think its evil then dont break the law or just dont get caught. Also, the ones that think the officers dont care I will tell you if you ask around most of the officers in westville are pretty caring. I know I have empathy. There are double standards for females here, so you have to be smart on how you treat the inmates and some take it the wrong way and that makes others afraid they will be tagged the same way. Just because you are friendly doesnt mean you are inmate "friendly".
No Matter Who

Glenn, CA

#6 May 8, 2011
I heard of a person going in to see someone there and being banned from seeing that person because the CO who searched that person said they found a prescription medication in the tiny pant pocket. If the CO are on the take selling drug who's to say they just didn't pull the pill out there own POCKET! How do you get someone transferred somewhere else before the COs lack of concern kills them.
Me

Chicago, IL

#7 May 19, 2011
trouble wrote:
<quoted text>You know I understand there is alot of anger out there toward corrections, but let me tell you I am an officer and I have never brought anything into the prison, and I have alot of co-workers that can also say the same. I know there are crooked officers, and there are inmates that threaten other inmates, but to tell you the truth, its not like you think, years ago yes but now, No. These guys join these gangs to fit in not for security! Its just something to do and to brag about. I will tell you that prison sucks on both sides of the stick and if you think its evil then dont break the law or just dont get caught. Also, the ones that think the officers dont care I will tell you if you ask around most of the officers in westville are pretty caring. I know I have empathy. There are double standards for females here, so you have to be smart on how you treat the inmates and some take it the wrong way and that makes others afraid they will be tagged the same way. Just because you are friendly doesnt mean you are inmate "friendly".
I know I wouldn't want the job as a corrections officer, but I do appreciate/ respect those that take on such employment, esp the ones that are there showing empathy with a true desire to help turn lives around for the better...and not there to just collect a pay check.
DWB

South Bend, IN

#8 Jun 18, 2012
I did 4 years at westville and the whole time i was there the officers were bringing the shipments in there and i also agree that my fellow inmates are not in gangs just to fit in its a part of BROTHERHOOD LOYALTY and most important SELF RESPECT. And i disagree that this officer cares about the saftey of inmates . Your probley on the payrole too. The way the officers treat you there is like your a dog and that is what i beleive makes the inmates ANGRY WITH THE WORLD. You can only kick a dog so many times before he bites back.
soninprison

Frankton, IN

#9 Aug 17, 2012
So agree Westville is hostile and many guards are on the take. There are more phones in inmates hands than at my other kids high school!!! Brought in by guards. Not making waves until my son is out in a few years. Disgraceful, bricks falling off buildings, most windows broken, no air....a kennel is more humane. My son did not do a violent crime but he's in with those that did.
Westville is like a bad prison B-movie, time stands still there. Cool Hand Luke in 2012. Everything you thought prison reform took care of.
DWB wrote:
I did 4 years at westville and the whole time i was there the officers were bringing the shipments in there and i also agree that my fellow inmates are not in gangs just to fit in its a part of BROTHERHOOD LOYALTY and most important SELF RESPECT. And i disagree that this officer cares about the saftey of inmates . Your probley on the payrole too. The way the officers treat you there is like your a dog and that is what i beleive makes the inmates ANGRY WITH THE WORLD. You can only kick a dog so many times before he bites back.
Justbeyou

Hammond, IN

#10 Sep 13, 2014
Joanne wrote:
First of all, officer is what they are. Secondly , not all officers are corrupt. There are some with self respect and high integrity . Just as all offenders are not the same. Don't judge and say things in a manner that is incorrect. I understand there are many officers who have no self respect, integrity but let's not generalize a small amount of the officers. I know many I'm proud of. How many people want to risk their life working in the prison? I bet you couldn't do it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laporte County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News South Bend Police released the crime statistics... (Jul '14) Mar 27 Hoosier by Associ... 4
News LaPorte Co. man charged for beating malnourishe... (Jun '13) Feb '14 Go Blue Forever 4
News Take-home methadone concerns lawmakers (Sep '07) Dec '13 Nothing wrong 743
News You haven't live here until ... You visit Michi... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Robert Boeninger 1
News Pipeline has support, opposition (Aug '13) Aug '13 shadowrydr420 1
News Lakefront park plans get financial boost in LaP... (Jul '13) Jul '13 shadowrydr420 1
News Toby Keith grew up in tornado-stricken area (May '13) May '13 Ralph 2
More from around the web