Oregon's plans for Alkali Lake herbic...

Oregon's plans for Alkali Lake herbicide dump raise concerns

There are 12 comments on the The Oregonian story from Sep 2, 2009, titled Oregon's plans for Alkali Lake herbicide dump raise concerns. In it, The Oregonian reports that:

Oregon buried 25,000 barrels of hazardous waste at the Alkali Lake site about four decades ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Oregonian.

buba

Manhattan Beach, CA

#1 Sep 6, 2009
You got to be kidding!? Just cap it and leave it? Oh, and have the company that dumped it in the first place monitor it...ya right, I'm sure they'll do a stellar job (wink,wink).
Doesn't surprise me though, DEQ letting the earth down...again! What does DEQ stand for anyway? Department of Environmental Quakery?

“Truth is Power”

Since: Aug 09

NO Tinfoil Hatery!

#2 Sep 7, 2009
Doesn't surprise me, hey state of Oregon, Lake County, pull your head outta our ass.
Don't expect much though, since both the state and the county have repeatedly perjured themselves.
Tell enough lies, often enough, and the people will dumb down.
Bovine Breeder

Manhattan Beach, CA

#3 Oct 4, 2009
From the Lakeview Examiner:

“One of the questions that we have heard a lot at the public meetings is that,’If this site were in Portland, it would have been a Superfund Site.’ My response to that was, if it were in Christmas Valley, it would be a Superfund Site,” said Schwarz.“It’s not a conspiracy of the rich city folks against the rural country folks. It’s a question of whether or not it is near people. A town, whether large or small. Then it would rank high on the Superfund List.”
Perhaps the worst charge made against the DEQ is that they are responsible for the crushing and burying of the drums of chemicals in 1976, a factor that has made the prospect of cleaning up the site infinitely more complicated and expensive. The chemicals are now free in a brine pool that lies just underneath the lake bed, the infamous “plume of toxins,” a concept extrapolated from lab results that give concentrations of various chemicals at 34 test wells that also measure pressure.“It’s kind of being pushed by the hydraulic pressure flowing from Abert Rim,” said Schwarz about the plume. The same pressure that feeds artesian wells in the area pushes the toxins up and also to the Northwest. Schwarz estimates that the plume of toxin penetrates no more than 100 feet beneath the surface of the lake bed. Many residents fear that the poisons will spread into the water source aquifer used by Christmas Valley, but according to Cameron, that is impossible. And it is only a slight exaggeration to say that the bed of Alkali Lake is like a giant bowl, made of impermeable rock, from which nothing escapes. What a bunch of horse shit! Everyone knows that the plume reached Christmas Valley years ago. Haven't you seen all the MUTANTS that live there?

“Start the Revolution”

Since: Dec 07

Cave Junction

#4 Oct 6, 2009
It's that old Infinitesimal dilution theory again.
The Corporations hold the belief as corporate policy that if you take a bullet that is quite dangerous and you scatter the powder all over an acre of land the bullet is now somehow not dangerous anymore...
This is Corporate thought and relieves them of any responsibility for the pollution. Company's do this all the time from scattering manure over large areas to discharging small amounts of chemical waste into the sewer systems. It is a myth they keep repeating to get away with this activity.
concerned

Palo Cedro, CA

#5 Dec 19, 2009
do you think it's in the hay yet? I know that hay is fed to dairy cows.
Concern Troll

Shingletown, CA

#6 Jan 14, 2010
ou can blame Ron Johnson of Christmas Valley for the Lakeview Prison being built, as he personally gets kickbacks from the DOJ as well as the BOP.

“"CAUSE NO ONE CARES"”

Since: Jan 10

C.V. , Oregon

#7 Jan 18, 2010
Grouchy Goat wrote:
Doesn't surprise me, hey state of Oregon, Lake County, pull your head outta our ass.
Don't expect much though, since both the state and the county have repeatedly perjured themselves.
Tell enough lies, often enough, and the people will dumb down.
Oh My God!!? I Thought Something Was Up There!!??
George Shrub

Millville, CA

#8 Feb 22, 2010
This is outrageous!

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#9 Oct 7, 2010
I;ll go get some barrels of that good ole toxic crap. Yummy !

“"Forgiven"”

Since: Feb 10

"Hopefully in your heart"!

#10 Apr 1, 2011
Another blight across America, due to the greed of the MIC.
BURNING LIARS

Salem, OR

#11 Apr 1, 2011
Like morse will rot in hell for the deception .I hear there is a huge class action suit that will be brought against him very soon for the lies he has told many seeking rufuge out there,he tells them the air, water, land, is pure when he has known for MANY years that it is a toxic dumping ground...and about all the sickness and defects in humans and all other life forms..heard he cant sell anything anymore...desperate buisness attempts will be futile for him now as many other LEGITIMATE people move into our valley and will disclose th TRUTH for those whom ask..instead of filling them with a bunch of CRAP to sell innocent UNsuspecting newcomers full of his BS.Tell the TRUTH losr creepy man..The blood of those you sell toxic earth to will be on your hands!!!
green is my fav color

Shingletown, CA

#12 Apr 2, 2011
You did good, you get a cookie!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Reward Offered for Information on Oregon Horse ... (Jan '10) Jun '16 sam 4
News CVCC Fall Festival to be held Saturday (Oct '14) Oct '14 Stu 3
News Permit classification changed for proposed comp... (May '13) May '13 Truck noise 3
News Seattle man arrested in Lakeview had LSD, Marij... (Jan '11) Jan '11 KGB 1
News Element Power receives Lake County approval for... (Oct '10) Oct '10 seenglweyd 3
News Area solar activity heats up; Energy companies ... (Aug '09) Feb '10 Luvin every minut... 2
News Oregon's plans for Vietnam-era herbicide dump r... (Dec '09) Dec '09 Google This 21
More from around the web