Iwo Jima survivor raised first American flag on the island

Feb 22, 2012 Full story: The Orlando Sentinel

Leo Champagne,pictured here at his home in The Villages, was a member of a group that raised the first American flag on Iwo Jima.

Full Story
Gary

Lady Lake, FL

#1 Mar 2, 2012
Thanks so much for your sevice to this country!! Interesting article!

Gary - http://www.villageshomes4rent.com
mitt

Lady Lake, FL

#2 Mar 11, 2012
what a stand up guy this guy is.I know him he lives in the villages.He does his business with only old retired villagers.old guys stand togeather.If there is a 2 hotdog stands one a retiree selling dogs and a young guy raising a family,he will go to the retired guy every time.What a stand up guy.
mitt

Hollywood, FL

#3 Apr 24, 2012
Orlando sentinal reported he was not there according to fellow solders _

Since: Feb 14

Lady Lake, FL

#4 Feb 11, 2014
It was Leo Rozek in the very first flag raising, and he still resides in the Villages, and appears every year to throw out the first softball at the military games there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge rules Lake deputy was justified in fatal ... Sep '14 Lobo1 2
Clermont Shell gas station robber arrested Jun '14 John 1
velma h (Jun '14) Jun '14 hickman tramp 1
'Acropolis?' 'The Hill?' Clermont asks advice f... (Apr '14) May '14 Name it soon 3
T Collins (Mar '14) Mar '14 Abc123 1
Boy's slingshot leads to probation, essay (Jul '07) Dec '13 Bob 31
Leesburg considers downtown 'gateway' to boost ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Randall Onstead 1
More from around the web