Lake Co. Man Shoots, Kills Intruder

Lake Co. Man Shoots, Kills Intruder

There are 117 comments on the WESH-TV story from Nov 20, 2009, titled Lake Co. Man Shoots, Kills Intruder. In it, WESH-TV reports that:

A Sorrento man shot and killed a man he said was trying to steal his property, the Lake County Sheriff's Office said Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WESH-TV.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Monique

Mount Dora, FL

#105 Mar 8, 2010
I'm on board, if there is anything that I can do, I would love to help. This law does need to change.

One thing I do disagree with Curious it that you feel Mr. Beil doesn't regret his actions and actually is bragging, I think if he had to do it again, he would change his actions. Human nature, when you feel guilty is to brag about it, this helps to find people to justify it for you. Wouldn't it be great if Mr. Beil would just be honest and tell people, that he does regret his action, but he probably would not do this because he would possible set himself up for crimal charges.

You like me want a positive to come from a negative.
curious

Leesburg, FL

#106 Mar 9, 2010
Florida state attorney's office 5th district, Lake county sheriff's office.

The problem with the law is the clause that says the shooter has to have a "reasonable" fear of loss of life or great bodily harm. The law appears to be a good law, but the state attorneys office and lake county sheriff's office interpretation of what is reasonable is way off the mark.

This falls square on the investigating officers shoulders. All cases should go before a grand jury to determine if there was reasonable fear, that should not be left in the hands of one officer.

The attitude of people on this board is reflected that if you steal you deserve to die. I don't think anyone out there believes that Beil was in fear of death or great bodily harm. He was in fear of Brett running away. If he admitted the truth about that, then he would be prosecuted for murder. I still don't understand how they can justify him being shot in the back, but when a lake county investigator is determined to arrest someone or not, then they spin it how ever they want.
CrimeDontPay

Grand Rapids, MI

#107 Mar 9, 2010
If someone came at me with bolt cutters, I do believe that shows "bodily harm". Again, who knows what Brett's intentions were. Curious, you keep saying he was there to steal and that was wrong, but how do you know that was all he wanted to do? At 3:30 am in the morning, you don't have light to see where you are shooting, back, front or whatever. It stated in paper one bullet even hit his trailer or truck. If he had good light, do you think he would shot his equipment? Time to admit the facts, Brett was there when he should not have been to do whatever, and he had a criminal record of thief several times. Quit trying to blame everyone else and put the blame where it belongs, BRETT LEE CANADA, and anyone else that was there with him!
curious

Leesburg, FL

#108 Mar 9, 2010
CDP - I make my statements based on personal knowledge of the lighting, the home and the people. And he had nothing on him. Can you read that NOTHING. Bolt cutters appeared on the property, may or may not have been Bretts.

So what, are you saying the man just went out there and started shooting randomly? Couldn't see so just shoots around? Come on. That would be even worse.
curious

Leesburg, FL

#109 Mar 9, 2010
I'll say it one more time, stealing something out of someones yard is wrong, going out there and killing someone is MURDER. Two wrongs do not make a right. They were both wrong, one paid with his life, the other needs to be in prison for the rest of his.
Monique

Mount Dora, FL

#110 Mar 9, 2010
CrimeDontPay wrote:
If someone came at me with bolt cutters, I do believe that shows "bodily harm". Again, who knows what Brett's intentions were. Curious, you keep saying he was there to steal and that was wrong, but how do you know that was all he wanted to do? At 3:30 am in the morning, you don't have light to see where you are shooting, back, front or whatever. It stated in paper one bullet even hit his trailer or truck. If he had good light, do you think he would shot his equipment? Time to admit the facts, Brett was there when he should not have been to do whatever, and he had a criminal record of thief several times. Quit trying to blame everyone else and put the blame where it belongs, BRETT LEE CANADA, and anyone else that was there with him!
Isn't this worse shooting without knowing where you are shooting? Again and again it has been said Bret was wrong, but property is not worth a life. That is the point, it is so frustrating that this point is not coming across. Do you think Mr. Beil is glad at what he did. My money is on no, he wishes he hadn't done it.
Truth

AOL

#111 Mar 9, 2010
But yet being on someone's property without the owner saying they could be there is wrong, especially that time of morning. Yes its sad there was a life taken., but he had no reason being there unless to steal, or maybe yet take the owners' life. I don't blame the owner. No one can say they wouldn't do the same. They lie to themselves and GOD.
curious

Leesburg, FL

#112 Mar 9, 2010
I wouldn't do the same by any means. I've been in an even worse situation with a young man facing me in my own doorway continuing forward even after being told to stop. As a last resort, I did pull a gun and told him to stop one last time. He turned and ran away, I did not shoot him in the back.

Taking another life is your very last resort, not your first.
Monique

Mount Dora, FL

#113 Mar 10, 2010
Truth wrote:
But yet being on someone's property without the owner saying they could be there is wrong, especially that time of morning. Yes its sad there was a life taken., but he had no reason being there unless to steal, or maybe yet take the owners' life. I don't blame the owner. No one can say they wouldn't do the same. They lie to themselves and GOD.
Again and again, unsure why everyone isn't getting the point BRET WAS WRONG, HE WAS PROBABLY DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL. HE DOES HAVE A LONG HISTORY OF BAD CHOICES. BUT DID NOT DESERVE TO DIE FOR IT, THAT IS THE POINT. Please don't try and make people believe that he was there to kill. He was in his yard, not his house. Bret has no history of violence. I can say that I would not shoot someone for being in my yard. What I would do is send my dogs and call the police. If you want to protect yourself from someone coming into your house is one thing, your yard is another. This again is my opinion, but I would bet that anyone who has taken a life, would if they could change it. Your decision to take a life to save yours, is one thing, but try and justify it in your head a life for a few tools or equipment. There is not one person on this planet that could make me believe any different.
curious

Leesburg, FL

#114 Mar 10, 2010
I'm going to address Bretts past. He went to jail for stealing stereos out of unlocked cars, he was bairly 18. When he got out, for the last four years, the only trouble he got into was not haveing the money to pay his fines, lost his lic. for not paying the fines, got a ticket for not wearing his seat belt and some moving violations.

I believe the pressures of trying to find work, a baby comming, and other things, was too much for him and he made some bad choices.

He never broke into someones home. He didn't have a violent bone in his body, he was a petty thief, a yard thief, he took small things.

That's why I don't believe that gate was even closed, let alone locked. If it had been then why not just use the "supposed" bolt cutters and open it? I mean really, what was he going to do, break into this mower trailer, lug a commercial lawn mower over a 6 foot fence? Come on.

My belief is that Beil confronted Brett with a gun, ordered him to "eat dirt" when Brett turned to run, Beil shot him in the back.

At no point do I believe Beil was in fear for his life or his person or even his property. Just by his own statements, "he moved in an agressive manner" textbook verbage to get out of murder charges. That's not how people normally describe something.

Brett wasn't a hardened criminal as everyone trys to portray to justify his murder. He was a petty thief, he was still inmature, he was still just a kid. He didn't deserve to die for this, no one does.
curious

Leesburg, FL

#115 Mar 10, 2010
Monique, I would like to believe that Beil regrets what he did, I really would, but due to the buzz in the neighborhood, I believe he is actually proud of it and is just waiting for an opportunity to do it again. He is that cold blooded. It is boosting his ego. He, as others, believes he was justified for no other reason than a thief deserves to die. That is my opinion.
dude

Altamonte Springs, FL

#116 Mar 10, 2010
curious wrote:
Brett wasn't a hardened criminal as everyone trys to portray to justify his murder. He was a petty thief, he was still inmature, he was still just a kid. He didn't deserve to die for this, no one does.
A 23 year old with a black hoodie and gloves doesn't qualify as a kid.

In fact, I would ASSUME that if someone were standing in my backyard at 3:30am dressed in a black hoodie and GLOVES (and holding some sort of metal object), that they were there to KILL me.

Theives don't just hurt the people they steal from. They also hurt anyone who was dependant on whom they stole from (family, workers, etc). And yes, they can take away an entire neighborhoods peace of mind.

People like that get double doses of karma.
curious

Leesburg, FL

#117 Mar 10, 2010
He wasn't holding anything, and I'm wearing a grey hoodie right now, I understand that the gloves weren't on his hands, but in his pocket. It was pretty cool that night if you will remember.

Just like murder hurts a whole lot more people for the rest of their lives, people get past loosing something material, they never get past something like this.

And if you really thought someone was there to kill you, especially if you thought there was more than one, as he claims, would you run out there in the open so they could do it? Hardly. The man wasn't in fear, he was angry.

And you don't think karma isn't going to hit Beil? What man does or doesn't do to him is nothing compared to what he is going to face because of this. That is about the only sollace that his family has right now, Beil will face judgement. If it were me, I would rather face man's judgement with the truth and find forgiveness instead of having to face that other judgement.

So dude, if you know shane, how long did he let Brett lay there before before he called 911?

The neighbors kid estimates about an hour accourding to the group of people he talked to.
Monique

Kissimmee, FL

#118 Mar 10, 2010
curious wrote:
Monique, I would like to believe that Beil regrets what he did, I really would, but due to the buzz in the neighborhood, I believe he is actually proud of it and is just waiting for an opportunity to do it again. He is that cold blooded. It is boosting his ego. He, as others, believes he was justified for no other reason than a thief deserves to die. That is my opinion.
People who are insecure and are not confident, boost. He is trying to feel better about what he did by this behavior. Agree that he does need to tell the truth and help educate the rest of the people on this message board, that violence is never the answer. It is so frustrating that people feel like this was the best choice. There is not one person involved in this that feels like anything good has come from it. It is just so hard to think about what Bret went thru. I just can't stand our world today. People only care about their selves and belongings. We have lost the value of life.
curious

Leesburg, FL

#119 Mar 10, 2010
Monique wrote:
<quoted text>People who are insecure and are not confident, boost. He is trying to feel better about what he did by this behavior. Agree that he does need to tell the truth and help educate the rest of the people on this message board, that violence is never the answer. It is so frustrating that people feel like this was the best choice. There is not one person involved in this that feels like anything good has come from it. It is just so hard to think about what Bret went thru. I just can't stand our world today. People only care about their selves and belongings. We have lost the value of life.
Thank you monique. It's hard some times to remember that there really are compassionate people out there that holds human life to the highest level. You are one of them. It gives me some hope that there are others out there as well.

Tonight here in Mt. Plymouth, a teenager was in my yard shooting off some sort of firework. It sounded like a gun going off right outside my home. I didn't know the kid, have never seen him in this neighborhood before. But my first thought was thank God he wasn't in Beil's yard or any of these other peoples yard.
Monique

Mount Dora, FL

#120 Mar 11, 2010
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you monique. It's hard some times to remember that there really are compassionate people out there that holds human life to the highest level. You are one of them. It gives me some hope that there are others out there as well.
Tonight here in Mt. Plymouth, a teenager was in my yard shooting off some sort of firework. It sounded like a gun going off right outside my home. I didn't know the kid, have never seen him in this neighborhood before. But my first thought was thank God he wasn't in Beil's yard or any of these other peoples yard.
Was that about 8pm?
curious

Leesburg, FL

#121 Mar 11, 2010
about 10 I think, It was about an hour before I posted. He was going all over the neighborhood.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Deputies: Meth lab arrests in Paisley (Oct '09) Apr 14 Runrun 4
News Woman mauled by pit bull in stable condition (Feb '07) Mar '17 Goregirl 2
News Missing Clermont woman suffers from delusional ... Feb '17 ynotpw 1
Lake County Criminal Mugshots and Arrests Records (Oct '16) Oct '16 Mia 2
News Body found alongside the road in Eustis (Sep '16) Sep '16 Anita 2
News Groveland OKs rezoning for 500 homes in swamp (Aug '06) Jun '16 Denny421 2
News Audit 'stunningly critical' of MPO (Apr '16) May '16 SMH 8
More from around the web