Checkpoint yields 76 arrests Friday

Checkpoint yields 76 arrests Friday

There are 2 comments on the Lebanon Daily Record story from Jun 24, 2007, titled Checkpoint yields 76 arrests Friday. In it, Lebanon Daily Record reports that:

The Laclede County Sheriff's Department reports 76 arrests made at a safety checkpoint set from 2 to 9 p.m. Friday on Route E about five miles northwest of Eldridge. via Lebanon Daily Record

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lebanon Daily Record.

Cecil Nixxon

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Jun 25, 2007
This "safety checkpoint" was set up at the end of the paved roads at the only ingress to the Peace Conspiracy Festival at the Bird Island campgrounds. There are no other significant facilities served by this road other than a dozen or so farms.

While the weekend was gearing up in full swing for the drunken, lewd and reckless Lake crowd, Law Enforcement chose to marshall their resources to selectively target and harass "undesirable" campers headed for a weekend-long, stay-put-no-driving party.

I've seen first-hand the worst behavior of the alcohol and petroleum crowd at the lake, and the psilocybin and patchouli crowd at the festivals. From a purely safe and civil standpoint, I'll take the hippies, thank you.

Since: Oct 11

Marion, WI

#2 Oct 13, 2011
In order to facilitate an arrest then there must be either an active warrant or an active "crime in progress". As a resident of this town I can tell you that I am disgusted by the excessive speeds that the guests of Campgrounds like Mountain creek and Bird island drive on the way to their "parties". I have lost livestock, dogs and had near collisons with vehicles travelling down NN that were going so fast that they could barely stop when they see a vehicle pulling out.
I don't feel a bit bad for you if you have a warrant for your arrest (already broke the law) or you are foolish enough to drive into a police checkpoint and "break the law"
It is not "profiling" if the police go where the law is most likely to be broken...it's called DOING THEIR JOB.
My respect to our Sheriff's department.

-Jesse

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laclede County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Railroad Crossing Improvment (Jul '15) Jul '15 HorsinAround 1
Barb (Jun '14) Jun '14 Duard Johnson death 1
News 28 tickets issued in Niangua River law enforcem... (Jul '12) Jun '13 Brittany 8
News More than a dozen Laclede County residents arre... (Apr '13) May '13 Paul 5
News Attorney enters not guilty plea (Apr '09) Apr '13 Roll Tide 31
New Sheriff Wanted (Mar '13) Mar '13 John Doe 1
News 45-year-old Mo. man charged with poaching deer (Jan '13) Jan '13 Larry 1
More from around the web