Knox nursing home admissions suspended

Knox nursing home admissions suspended

There are 91 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Nov 7, 2007, titled Knox nursing home admissions suspended. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

Admissions have been suspended at a Knox County nursing home due to conditions inspectors found while investigating resident complaints.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Knoxville

Knoxville, TN

#1 Nov 7, 2007
Good news for us who work in EMS!!! this place used to give out blank DNRS for patients, EVEN FULL CODES!!! As if that wasn't bad enough I hauled a patient who had a trach, and the staff took it out let it close and then called 911 after about an hour and the patient nearly coded. The other Hillcrest N.H need closed too! They are just as bad
knoxville tn

Schaumburg, IL

#2 Nov 7, 2007
god help these people who work there. i don,t know how they can lay down at night and go to sleep........................ how can some one whose mother is there worry so about her, and then just leave her there , lord how sad.
Tupperware Gal

Morristown, TN

#3 Nov 7, 2007
To the mother of this woman:

Get your mother out of there! Even if it means a different facility. I had a relative pass a few months ago because the NH staff were not giving him his meds.
Tupperware Gal

Morristown, TN

#4 Nov 7, 2007
Knoxville wrote:
Good news for us who work in EMS!!! this place used to give out blank DNRS for patients, EVEN FULL CODES!!! As if that wasn't bad enough I hauled a patient who had a trach, and the staff took it out let it close and then called 911 after about an hour and the patient nearly coded. The other Hillcrest N.H need closed too! They are just as bad
That is pathetic! I hope to see something done soon.
Darlene - Knoxville

Cary, IL

#5 Nov 8, 2007
My mother was in that rat hole for one week. After being ther two days she was taken to the emergency room and was told by the doctor there that she was so heavily medicated he could not treat her because he could not communicate with her. She was kept medicated to the point that she could not even talk. No info was ever placed in her room as to what her name was, what medications, she was on, etc. The paper in her room was for some other patient that had been in there several months before. She had a $1500.00 hearing aid that disappeared the third day she was there - no one had any idea where it was or what happened to it. She was in a bed that had to be raised and lowered with a handle which my 89 year old mother could not do and no one there would bother to do it. This place needs to be closed permanently and all patients relocated. It is a cesspool and they could care less about the patients as long as the money rolls in. When we moved our mother out, one of the CNA's told us she was happy that we could relocate her; she said getting any treatment at that facility was basically zero. Never saw a doctor during the week either. Only reason she was taken to the ER was that she started passing blood. It was not checked at the nursing home, but we had it checked as soon as we got her out of there. It wasn't anything serious, but if she had stayed at the rat hole, she would have been dead by now.
Resident Family Member

Smyrna, TN

#6 Nov 8, 2007
I must comment on the Hillcrest issue. My Mother has been over there since late 2004 and when she went in, everything seemed very clean and the residents taken care of. Everyone that visited her was very complimentary of the care........

Well, that was 2004 and sadly I say that it has really gone downhill. The people who actually see to the residents can't be found when they are needed, sometimes there is only one or two CNA's to care for all the residents on a floor... That's stretching things too thin and the ones that are working there are not happy and most of the time they do not take pride in their jobs... Not to say they are all like that, but they have such a revolving door of employees I don't know how anyone can even learn the resident's needs.

I would move my Mother in a heartbeat, but I am afraid that would end her life. She has all her facilties about her and is able to communicate with the caregivers but gets ignored a lot of times. But trying to move her (85) would be a great shock for her... I have questioned her about another place, but she's willing to tolerate some things because she has lived there for a while and has grown to know her surroundings.

I have spoken with members of the Administration there and they have yet to respond to the formal complaints that I have made to them.... I heard from the State inspection already, but I have yet to find any other answers.
Local Nurse

Nashville, TN

#7 Nov 8, 2007
As an Emergency Room Nurse here in Knoxville, we receive many patients from the Hillcrest Company(North, South, West). I must say that while the care and the condition of these patients is never great...the patients we receive from Hillcrest North is far the worst. They always appear as uncared for, normally laying in urine or feces soaked briefs or sheets, dirty gowns, excessively dry skin, poor mouth hygiene, etc. There have been multiple times that we would call family at home and they would not even know that their loved one had been transfered to the hospital. I am glad that the State of Tennessee has finally stepped up and is making the care of our elderly loved ones a priority!
Granddaughter

Knoxville, TN

#8 Nov 8, 2007
My grandmother was out there for one week while they were preparing a bed for her at the south location. She got a staff infection in her eye that went untreated. I am glad she is out of there.

“Keep the amusement coming : )”

Since: Mar 07

Knoxville, TN

#9 Nov 8, 2007
It seems hard to find a nursing home that actually cares about its residents. I am sorry for all of you who have suffered putting your parents in one.
Parent

Murfreesboro, TN

#10 Nov 8, 2007
The cost of health care is outrageous! I thought the increased cost in health care was supposed to assist with paying "nurses" better salaries. Hillcrest charges outrageous amounts, but they don't compensate their employees. They will hire anyone just to keep from having to pay higher salaries for people who really care!!!! They hire people who just need money, and they don't care about their jobs! Hillcrest (all locations) need to be shut down! If its happening at one facility, it's happening at all of them! Hillcrest just wants the money!!!!
CATHY

Jamesville, NC

#11 Nov 8, 2007
IT IS ABOUT TIME THAT SOMEONE IS FINALLY INVESTIGATING THIS NURSING HOME AND OTHER NURSING HOMES NEED TO BE INVESTIGATED!!!! MY DAUGHTER USE TO WORK FOR THIS NURSING HOME AND SHE WOULD COME HOME IN TEARS STATING HOW BAD THE PATIENTS ARE BEING TREATED. WHEN SHE COMPLAINED TO SUPERVISORS AND NURSES THEY GAVE HER A HARD TIME MAKING HER QUIT. STATE INVESTIGATORS NEED TO PUT SOMEONE IN THE NURSING HOMES AND LET THEM MAKE NOTES. THAT IS WHY NURSING HOMES DO NOT ALLOW CHURCHES TO VISIT PATIENT ROOMS, INSTEAD THEY BRING THE PATIENTS INTO A COMMUNITY ROOM TO WHERE THEY CAN BE MONITORED TO MAKE SURE THEY AREN'T TALKING TO THE OUTSIDE.
LoL

United States

#12 Nov 8, 2007
question is. who would have no heart and send their mother or father to a nursing home? All your telling them is that you dont want to care for her like she wiped your ass when you were young. And send them to these places. i say everyone who has a loved on in t here, and is complaining... you need to stfu and take care of your own parents if they are that old.
official statement

Knoxville, TN

#13 Nov 8, 2007
STATEMENT REGARDING HILLCREST HEALTHCARE

Patients at Hillcrest Healthcare North are receiving excellent care by physicians and staff as the nursing home appeals a recent state action.
The state Department of Health suspended new admissions to the north Knoxville facility earlier this week after an investigation involving a patient at a specialty unit of the home. Hillcrest plans to appeal the action and the fines associated with it.
According to Gene Gantt, owner of Respiratory Support Services, a partner with Hillcrest in the operation of the East Tennessee Respiratory Center, which is located at Hillcrest North, the incident in question involved one patient at the specialty unit. Patients in all other areas of the facility were not involved.
East Tennessee Respiratory Center is a 16-bed facility – the only one of its kind in Tennessee – dedicated to helping wean patients off of respirators. The incident involved a patient who had been successfully weaned from the ventilator and who subsequently pulled off an oxygen mask. Gantt said the staff responded appropriately according to policy and the patient was reconnected immediately. The patient is still being treated at the East Tennessee Respiratory Center.
“News reports have led several patients and families to believe that there is a widespread problem of some kind at Hillcrest,” Gantt said.“This is not true. The state’s action involved a technical interpretation by the state regarding one patient at this specialty unit -- and that patient is still being treated here. Hillcrest is continuing to provide excellent care to its patients while it exercises its legal right to an appeal.”
The East Tennessee Respiratory Center has liberated more than 200 patients from ventilators since it opened in 2003. This is the first citation it has ever received from the state. Gantt said that if the East Tennessee Respiratory Center did not exist, Tennessee patients would have to be transported to Kentucky, Virginia or Ohio for treatment. It is the only facility in the state that employs full-time around-the-clock respiratory therapists. The highly regarded facility, which has been used as a model for other similar units, also is staffed by a pulmonologist, a medical doctor who sees all patients there on a weekly basis along with a specialty nurse practitioner.
tngirl

Madison, AL

#14 Nov 8, 2007
I for one can understand exactly where everyone on here is comming from i used to work there we were always short staffed.. some of the things i seen there was uncalled for.. the cna's that do care an are very good to the patients are overworked pulling doubles an working 6 or 7 days straight just to help out because they never kept enough staff weekends are crazy it is like a ghost town trying to find help.. an when you do complain about things that are going on you are ignored an treated like you done something wrong... i am very glad to see the state finnaly step in.. all three hillcrest facilities are in bad shape.
taxpayer

Knoxville, TN

#15 Nov 8, 2007
Darlene - Knoxville wrote:
My mother was in that rat hole for one week. After being ther two days she was taken to the emergency room and was told by the doctor there that she was so heavily medicated he could not treat her because he could not communicate with her. She was kept medicated to the point that she could not even talk. No info was ever placed in her room as to what her name was, what medications, she was on, etc. The paper in her room was for some other patient that had been in there several months before. She had a $1500.00 hearing aid that disappeared the third day she was there - no one had any idea where it was or what happened to it. She was in a bed that had to be raised and lowered with a handle which my 89 year old mother could not do and no one there would bother to do it. This place needs to be closed permanently and all patients relocated. It is a cesspool and they could care less about the patients as long as the money rolls in. When we moved our mother out, one of the CNA's told us she was happy that we could relocate her; she said getting any treatment at that facility was basically zero. Never saw a doctor during the week either. Only reason she was taken to the ER was that she started passing blood. It was not checked at the nursing home, but we had it checked as soon as we got her out of there. It wasn't anything serious, but if she had stayed at the rat hole, she would have been dead by now.
I worked there also briefly and the tbi told me they had taken care of the issues I addressed...obviously they have not.

I also know the doctor and he is too busy being important in his church to respond to anything dirty or difficult.

They should have been closed down a long time ago.
taxpayer

Knoxville, TN

#16 Nov 8, 2007
official statement wrote:
STATEMENT REGARDING HILLCREST HEALTHCARE
Patients at Hillcrest Healthcare North are receiving excellent care by physicians and staff as the nursing home appeals a recent state action.
The state Department of Health suspended new admissions to the north Knoxville facility earlier this week after an investigation involving a patient at a specialty unit of the home. Hillcrest plans to appeal the action and the fines associated with it.
According to Gene Gantt, owner of Respiratory Support Services, a partner with Hillcrest in the operation of the East Tennessee Respiratory Center, which is located at Hillcrest North, the incident in question involved one patient at the specialty unit. Patients in all other areas of the facility were not involved.
East Tennessee Respiratory Center is a 16-bed facility – the only one of its kind in Tennessee – dedicated to helping wean patients off of respirators. The incident involved a patient who had been successfully weaned from the ventilator and who subsequently pulled off an oxygen mask. Gantt said the staff responded appropriately according to policy and the patient was reconnected immediately. The patient is still being treated at the East Tennessee Respiratory Center.
“News reports have led several patients and families to believe that there is a widespread problem of some kind at Hillcrest,” Gantt said.“This is not true. The state’s action involved a technical interpretation by the state regarding one patient at this specialty unit -- and that patient is still being treated here. Hillcrest is continuing to provide excellent care to its patients while it exercises its legal right to an appeal.”
The East Tennessee Respiratory Center has liberated more than 200 patients from ventilators since it opened in 2003. This is the first citation it has ever received from the state. Gantt said that if the East Tennessee Respiratory Center did not exist, Tennessee patients would have to be transported to Kentucky, Virginia or Ohio for treatment. It is the only facility in the state that employs full-time around-the-clock respiratory therapists. The highly regarded facility, which has been used as a model for other similar units, also is staffed by a pulmonologist, a medical doctor who sees all patients there on a weekly basis along with a specialty nurse practitioner.
thats a big change from the o2 being set at 2 liters for masks...when the tbi became involved.

Give me a break...this is an organization that is as corupt as the county and will fire you on a whim if you report them.
taxpayer

Knoxville, TN

#17 Nov 8, 2007
and the doctor I also know...it is not surprising..he would not get his hands dirty and does this for a comfortable retirement...I can't figure out how a legitimate physician would tolerate the conditions...oh yes, a legitimate and caring physician would not!
Mary Pittman

Knoxville, TN

#18 Nov 8, 2007
Granddaughter wrote:
My grandmother was out there for one week while they were preparing a bed for her at the south location. She got a staff infection in her eye that went untreated. I am glad she is out of there.
I am sorry about your grandmother's staph infection. It sounds like you're a very caring granddaughter.
M Henry

Knoxville, TN

#19 Nov 8, 2007
My grandmother was there for almost a year. She received good care, and I didn't see any of the terrible conditions that are described in these posts. The only problem I did see was that the bed was old and did not have power controls, but Hillcrest is trying to raise money to buy new beds for all their patients.
former employee

Franklin, TN

#20 Nov 8, 2007
The problem at Hillcrest starts at the top!
There are too many people that have supervisor positions that have never earned the job.They also have a very high turnover rate,caused by improper people with high salaries that dont care about the employees at the bottom.When the CEO is on vacation three or four times a year and the Special Services supervisor has cost the company more money than he has saved, there is a problem.What needs to happen is that a special committe needs to come in and fire all the so called management and start fresh, the employees in facilities management,laundry,housekeepin g,dietary and cna's all deserve a big fat pay raise so they can have a better life!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knox County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News West Knoxville homeowners worried about future ... Nov 15 Not in my backyard 1
News Shiny, metal objects: New rules planned for Kno... Nov 13 Just saying 1
looking for you 😢 (Dec '16) Nov 11 Hey yo 3
News Cops shut down another Knoxville business (Aug '11) Nov 5 Bethany 3
News Rutledge Police looking for career criminal (May '13) Oct 19 tiredofit 48
couple featured on WATE? Oct 19 Grady 2
Cotton Eyed Joe's Bartender Oct '17 Monty 1
More from around the web