Police Chase Leads to 4 Year Old's Death

Sep 19, 2011 Full story: WMGI-FM Terre Haute 108

The Indiana State Police are investigating a police chase that resulted in the death of a four year old.

Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Petra

Springville, IN

#1 Sep 19, 2011
Sirens ,light, no seat belts on kids, criminal running for Leo. Who is to blame?
Lelie

Vincennes, IN

#2 Sep 20, 2011
No sirens just lights.
Petra

United States

#3 Sep 20, 2011
no sirens? In a chase? Is that common?
FormerKnoxCoCiti zen

Newton, IL

#4 Sep 20, 2011
Several things went wrong here. But I for one have to ask, is their any traffic violation that is serious enough to justify a police officer deliberately running a stop sign or red light?????????? Lights and sirens be dammed!!!!! Itís called basic defensive driving or a lack of in this case. As a taxpayer and a US citizen I for one feel that the police are quick to get caught up in the moment and give chase over petty offences. Now I donít know Mr. Fuller and I donít care too. And I also donít know the family however my heart and prayers go out to them.
Petra

United States

#5 Sep 20, 2011
I wonder why defensive driving wasn't used by every one involved.The Leo didn't stop at the sign. The other driver didn't yield to the officer in pursuit.The children were not belted in, why? Why are the Police always blamed when any thing goes wrong? Are we not responsible to make sure we are kept safe?Are we not responsible to protect our children? I am very sorry this poor child died. I feel the Mothers pain, She now knows why her child should have been belted in.
Snuffy

Vincennes, IN

#6 Sep 20, 2011
Police are only allowed to break traffic laws under certain situations. There must be an underying legal or emergency situation to do so. But to do so also requires the officer to use due diligence. The safety of the public is first and foremost. Also, both lights and sirens mst be activated.....this is basic instruction taught at the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy. All emergency responders including fire departments and ambulance services have to use due diligence when responding to incidents. I'm sure most of you have seen firemen activate their lights and pull their fire trucks into traffic only to move them from one bay of the fire house to another....this is illegal. The firemen have no lgal right to interfere with the normal flow of traffic absent an emergency situation. They do it becase they are too lazy to drive around the blck. This is a terrible tragedy for all involved. The underlying offense was not worth the lfe of the child and injuries to the family in the van. I'm sure the officer wold be the first to admit that. The accident reconstructionist will submit a report to Knox County John Sievers and it will be his sole decision as to whether or not file criminal charges against the officer or the parents of the children. I certainly would not want to be in his shoes.....whatever decision he makes will be sure to make certain groups of people angry. If he makes the wrong decision he may very well be voted out of office and have to find a new job. I know two people who lived within a block of the acident. None of them heard a siren. There was an eyewitness...I believe his name is Jono McNece...and he was standing in his front yard. It is rumored he stated that the officer did turn on his siren a split second before the crash but it was too late for the Van to react and stop. Again, this was not told to me directly but from a trusted friend who is also a friend of Mr. McNeece. And the family members are saying the 4 year old was properly restrained. There are a lot of conflicting rumors at this point. Hopefully it will all get ironed out and the right decisions as to how and proceed from here will be made.
liz

United States

#7 Sep 20, 2011
well by all means lets go by rumors not the news or official reports.
Snuffy

Vincennes, IN

#8 Sep 20, 2011
No offical reports have been made available. And the news is dependant on the same rumors (witness comments) that I mentioned above. All the information is being gathered and analyzed at this time. And yes.....I spoke with witnesses. Very little has been released to the public at this point. Comments from the authorities are lacking any real substance. This is far from over. Hopefully, somewhere is this flood of information the truth will be revealed.
shawn

Vincennes, IN

#9 Sep 20, 2011
i think if she would have a ben mom and not out doind god knows what with brandie and all her good buddies he might still be here and that does for you to brandie same with your son
shawn

Vincennes, IN

#10 Sep 20, 2011
now i bet she wishes she would have ben a mom now but who know i thought that about brandie christmas to when she lost her son and mom but look at her now doing the same stuff jennifer mathies lives with brandie in vin. nether one of them care enough for the children they got left to stop what they are doing and be moms i hope both read this maybe do them some good befor they both go back to prison for doing the same o stuff
Snuffy

Bridgeport, IL

#11 Sep 20, 2011
I read one news report which seemed to place most of the blame on the parents for not having the children properly restrained...which is being disputed by some faily members. One news report quoted a witness stating the police cruiser was traveling between 60-70 miles per hour when it ran the stop sign. The news reports are not even consistent. Do not be so gullible as to believe everything you read in a newspaper. And the wreck will be studied by the authorities, insurance investigators and at least one private investigator has already taken pictures and took measurments of the skid/yaw marks to construct his own reconstruction. A 4 year old is dead. The public has every right to know the truth and form their own opinions....this is after all a public talk forum.
shawn

Vincennes, IN

#12 Sep 20, 2011
brandie christmas and jennifer mathies is on facebook everyone should tell both of them to be moms stop what there doing before its to late once again
liz

Bedford, IN

#13 Sep 21, 2011
Snuffy wrote:
I read one news report which seemed to place most of the blame on the parents for not having the children properly restrained...which is being disputed by some faily members. One news report quoted a witness stating the police cruiser was traveling between 60-70 miles per hour when it ran the stop sign. The news reports are not even consistent. Do not be so gullible as to believe everything you read in a newspaper. And the wreck will be studied by the authorities, insurance investigators and at least one private investigator has already taken pictures and took measurments of the skid/yaw marks to construct his own reconstruction. A 4 year old is dead. The public has every right to know the truth and form their own opinions....this is after all a public talk forum.
The truth? your calling gossip and rumors truth. Stop telling every one else what to believe
liz

Bedford, IN

#14 Sep 21, 2011
shawn wrote:
i think if she would have a ben mom and not out doind god knows what with brandie and all her good buddies he might still be here and that does for you to brandie same with your son
Does this belong on this thread? Who are these women?
ping

Columbus, IN

#15 Sep 28, 2011
liz wrote:
<quoted text> The truth? your calling gossip and rumors truth. Stop telling every one else what to believe
thats what your doing? your not doing anything but running your mouth.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#16 Sep 28, 2011
ping wrote:
<quoted text>
did you read what liz posted? she hasn't tryed to influence any one

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#17 Sep 29, 2011
ping wrote:
<quoted text>
Whats your problem?
liz

Bedford, IN

#18 Sep 29, 2011
don't worry about it Yarby. Small minds don't offend me.
ping

Columbus, IN

#19 Sep 29, 2011
yarby wrote:
<quoted text>Whats your problem?
whats yours,its my opinion ,you got yours and i got mine, please respect mine without being so rude
2112crw

Vincennes, IN

#20 Sep 29, 2011
THIS IS FOR "THE FORMER KNOX COUNTY" BIG MOUTH... YR A STUPID BITCH WHO DONT NEED TO RUN HER BIG MOUTH ABOUT THE OFFICER JOHN FULLER!!!!! YR RIGHT YOU DONT KNOW HIM APPARENTLY BECAUSE HE HAPPENS TO BE A VERY GOOD MAN ,A FAMILY MAN WHO LOVES KIDS AND IF I KNOW HIM ENOUGH HE IS JUST BESIDE HIMSELF OVER THIS TRAGEDY.SO HOW DARE YOU RUN YR MOUTH ABOUT SOME WHO'D RATHER DIE AS TO HARM A CHILD.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knox County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Name released in Knox County fatal fire Jun '14 wow 1
Trial Date Set For Man Accused In Knox County T... Jun '14 kitten 4
400 iPads stolen from Farmersburg high school (Aug '13) Aug '13 Mike 1
New Pool Vincennes Referendum (Apr '13) Apr '13 discouraged 6
Looking for my Granddaughter (Mar '13) Mar '13 Worried Grandma 1
Pantheon on Endangered List (May '12) Oct '12 beware 57
Police Dogs Converge In Vincennes For K9 Trials (Sep '12) Sep '12 come on 2
•••

Knox County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE