Balloon release will salute sacrifice

Balloon release will salute sacrifice

There are 30 comments on the Fredericksburg.com story from Dec 18, 2012, titled Balloon release will salute sacrifice. In it, Fredericksburg.com reports that:

If a reminder is needed that real people are behind the statistics of military personnel killed overseas, then a memorial event in Colonial Beach on Friday is designed to be just that.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fredericksburg.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cathy CarLady

Laurel, MD

#22 Dec 21, 2012
Who ever WowKaren is go back to school and study this time in english class.Karen is one of the most knowledgable people when it comes to the environment and local and state laws. You trying to argue with her on these points is like you trying to fire a cannon with no balls. There are other ways to honor these men without destroying our water systems and wildlife. Why not spend the money that would be spent on helium and balloons and start a scholarship fund in their memory something that will live on more than the five minutes you will see the balloons and then forget all about them. If you just want an excuse to have a party fine, but don't act like you're honoring them. If they were still with us they would not want frills, do something relevant for their families. They are the ones who are giving the ultimate sacrifice by giving us their sons, husbands, and fathers for our freedom. Balloons...I think not.

“Annoying and won't go away....”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#23 Dec 22, 2012
Karen wrote:
And yes, I gave you the funny face, because you cannot be taken seriously.
Is this entire topic supposed to be taken seriously?! This is a real concern?! When you have drunk boaters out there throwing their beer cans in the water, run-off of pesticides from the fields, etc etc, you are worried about f-cken balloons?! Are you the same cut of person who wanted to ban rice from weddings? How do you even know the balloons are even going to land in the water? Next we will have a law where GPS trackers will be adhered to every releasesd balloon so that whoever released it can go track it down, or be fined for landing in the wrong place.

Christ this is stupid. Can't believe I am even wasting time on this.
Agree

King George, VA

#24 Dec 22, 2012
The_Bill_P wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this entire topic supposed to be taken seriously?! This is a real concern?! When you have drunk boaters out there throwing their beer cans in the water, run-off of pesticides from the fields, etc etc, you are worried about f-cken balloons?! Are you the same cut of person who wanted to ban rice from weddings? How do you even know the balloons are even going to land in the water? Next we will have a law where GPS trackers will be adhered to every releasesd balloon so that whoever released it can go track it down, or be fined for landing in the wrong place.
Christ this is stupid. Can't believe I am even wasting time on this.
Agree, everything said was just a waste of time. We should be working together to solve problems, not just talking just to stir things up. We all have to find out what is really important and take a position to solve the real problems. If we could just learn to work together and not create opposition. We have so many serious issues to take on. Together we can make a difference. This Forum was a waste of time. Sorry if you disagree.
Karen

White Stone, VA

#25 Dec 22, 2012
Agree wrote:
<quoted text> Agree, everything said was just a waste of time. We should be working together to solve problems, not just talking just to stir things up. We all have to find out what is really important and take a position to solve the real problems. If we could just learn to work together and not create opposition. We have so many serious issues to take on. Together we can make a difference. This Forum was a waste of time. Sorry if you disagree.

Not a waste of time. I tried to address this before it happened, and I have addressed it with the schools, too. Choosing to ignore it just makes it worse.
Wasteoftime

King George, VA

#26 Dec 22, 2012
Karen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a waste of time. I tried to address this before it happened, and I have addressed it with the schools, too. Choosing to ignore it just makes it worse.
Yes this was a waste of time! You seem to be the only one willing to continue this...seems to me I remember you wasting alot time on town council in just this way. You had a lot to say about nothing and not much was done to address real issues. Now you want to have you way blasting everything and everyone! Really you are not worth the time. Yes by all means have the last word....I don't think me or anyone else will be around to hear it. Have A Merry Christmas.
Karen

White Stone, VA

#27 Dec 22, 2012
Wasteoftime wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes this was a waste of time! You seem to be the only one willing to continue this...seems to me I remember you wasting alot time on town council in just this way. You had a lot to say about nothing and not much was done to address real issues. Now you want to have you way blasting everything and everyone! Really you are not worth the time. Yes by all means have the last word....I don't think me or anyone else will be around to hear it. Have A Merry Christmas.
You're the only one wasting your own time by reading it, if that's how you feel.

Since: Oct 12

Washington, DC

#28 Dec 22, 2012
1st of all, less than 500 balloons were released. So basically , no law broken. 2nd only latex balloons ere used which Are biodegradeable. 3rd these men died for your right to " bitch" about laws & the environment! To the naysayers, I say " get over yourselves"!
Zilch UK

Guildford, UK

#29 Dec 24, 2012
Our is that guess saying that balloons are made of natural rubber (latex) and biodegrades is a bit like saying that the filter tips on cigarettes will protect you from cancer!

The balloon industry has a vested interest in seeing people continuing to use their product just as the cigarette manufacturers do. Neither cares for the damage they do to their customers, wildlife or the environment.
Karen

White Stone, VA

#30 Dec 24, 2012
Laylow22454 wrote:
1st of all, less than 500 balloons were released. So basically , no law broken. 2nd only latex balloons ere used which Are biodegradeable. 3rd these men died for your right to " bitch" about laws & the environment! To the naysayers, I say " get over yourselves"!
Read the previous posts, it is illegal to release more than 50, not 500.
munum

Pittsburgh, PA

#31 Dec 26, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King George County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Missing boy located and is safe (Oct '13) Oct '13 Hunter S 1
News What's going on around town this weekend? The w... (Jun '13) Jul '13 guess 2
News Colonial Beach man arrested following shooting (Mar '12) Apr '12 SCS 4
News Albemarle County to Appeal Denial of Earthquake... (Jan '12) Jan '12 heh 2
King George Internet (Oct '11) Oct '11 Curtis 1
News Virginia Wilkins (Jun '11) Jun '11 Roxanne Smith 3
News Civil War message opened, decoded: No help coming (Dec '10) Dec '10 Kwanzaa Kenny fro... 1
More from around the web