Balloon release will salute sacrifice

Dec 18, 2012 Full story: Fredericksburg.com 30

If a reminder is needed that real people are behind the statistics of military personnel killed overseas, then a memorial event in Colonial Beach on Friday is designed to be just that.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#2 Dec 19, 2012
Save the river

King George, VA

#3 Dec 19, 2012
Do you need to release baloons that will just fall into the Potomac and kill fish? Great event wrong place!
Tim Curtin wrote:
Karen

Smithfield, VA

#4 Dec 19, 2012
Save the river wrote:
Do you need to release baloons that will just fall into the Potomac and kill fish? Great event wrong place!
<quoted text>
You are so right! When will people learn that releasing plastics into the air only results in the death of thousands of fish and marine mammals! Please stop!!!!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#5 Dec 19, 2012
Karen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right! When will people learn that releasing plastics into the air only results in the death of thousands of fish and marine mammals! Please stop!!!!
We are using latex rubber balloons. They are biodegradable.
Here's a link to allay anyone's concerns:

http://www.balloonlink.com/environment.htm
Karen

Smithfield, VA

#6 Dec 19, 2012
How many are you releasing?
Karen

Smithfield, VA

#7 Dec 19, 2012
How long are latex balloons dangerous to wildlife after they enter the ocean?

"Latex rubber balloons are an important category of product in the marine environment. Promotional releases of balloons that descend into the sea pose a serious ingestion and/or entanglement hazard to marine animals. Based on the fairly rapid disintegration of balloons on exposure to sunlight in air, the expectation is that balloons do not pose a particularly significant problem. In an experiment we carried out in North Carolina we observed that balloons exposed floating in seawater deteriorated much slower than those exposed in air, and even after 12 months of exposure still retained their elasticity."

From the article: Plastics and Their Impacts in the Marine Environment by Anthony L. Andrady, Program Manager and Senior Research Scientist, Chemistry and Life Sciences Division, Research Triangle Institute, North Carolina. Proceedings of the International Marine Debris Conference on Derelict Fishing Gear and the Ocean Environment, August 6-11, 2000 Hawai'i Convention Center Honolulu, Hawai'i
Karen

Smithfield, VA

#8 Dec 19, 2012
Dr. Peter Lutz, noted sea turtle biologist in Florida, published a study in 1990 on the ingestion of latex balloon pieces by sea turtles. It was presented at the Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Marine Debris. Dr. Lutz' study found:
1. When offered a mix of pieces of clear plastic and brightly colored latex, the turtles showed a strong preference for the latex pieces over the plastic.
2. In experiments with latex only, sea turtles demonstrated that if their appetite is sufficient, they will actively swim towards and ingest latex materials, that all colors are acceptable, and that the amount ingested will depend on their nutritional state.
3. The length of time that the latex remained in the turtle's intestinal tract ranged from a few days to four months, with a peak time period of eight weeks.(Note: the normal gut passage time in sea turtles is approx. 10 days.)
4. Turtles passed multiple pieces bound together, although they had ingested the individual pieces at different times, showing the possible cumulative effect of ingestion of latex balloon pieces.
Evidence of Impacts: Scientists who work with stranded whales, dolphins, seals and sea turtles have been looking at the stomach contents of these dead marine animals. These scientists have found balloons, parts of balloons and balloon string during numerous necropsies.
The New Jersey based Marine Mammal Stranding Center has displays of items, including balloons, found in animals that have died and washed ashore.
Releasing balloons into the air is littering, and ultimately the balloons will return to earth. The balloon industry claims that balloons explode in many tiny harmless fragments when they reach a certain altitude. Beach Sweep data refutes this claim. Over 32,000 balloons were picked-up on beaches during the 1999 cleanup - clear evidence that many return to earth intact.
The balloon industry also claims latex balloons are bio-degradable and degrade as fast as an oak leaf. A study published in the scientific journal "Soil Biology and Biochemistry" found that about 54% of oak leaves decomposed in a two-year period, and it takes about four years for oak leaves to completely degrade under natural conditions. Hence, balloons would take up to four years to fully degrade - much too long a time for them to be found and eaten by an unsuspecting animal.
Karen

Smithfield, VA

#9 Dec 19, 2012
Karen

Smithfield, VA

#10 Dec 19, 2012
Wikipedia:

Main article: Marine debris

Anthony Andrady (a former Senior Research Scientist at the Engineering Technology Division of Research Triangle Institute (RTI) International in North Carolina) says that releases of latex balloons that descend into the sea pose a serious ingestion and/or entanglement hazard to marine animals because balloons exposed floating in seawater deteriorate much more slowly than those exposed in air.[15] Balloon manufacturers will often state that a latex balloon is perfectly safe to release into the environment as it is made from a natural substance and will biodegrade over time. However a latex balloon can take up to a year to degrade if it lands in the sea and during this time it is possible for a marine animal to ingest the balloon and die from slow starvation if its digestive system is blocked.
Karen

Smithfield, VA

#11 Dec 19, 2012
Karen

White Stone, VA

#12 Dec 20, 2012
Tim, you haven't answered my question. How many balloon are being released?
Someaddedinfo

King George, VA

#13 Dec 20, 2012
Karen wrote:
Unjustified Environmental Concern

Latex balloons used in mass releases are produced from the sap of the rubber tree. It’s collected without harming the tree by using an environmentally safe, age-old process similar to that used for collecting the sap from maple trees for making syrup.
Because of rubber’s versatility and high demand, these tropical rain forest trees are very valuable and highly coveted. Equally important, these precious trees play a key role in the earth’s fragile ecological balance by removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere which helps prevent global warming. As a result, the world’s rubber trees are well-protected natural resources.
Consequently, a latex balloon — the only type used in mass releases — is made from 100 percent organic material and it’s 100 percent biodegradable. Stress caused by inflation starts this decomposition cycle. Exposure to sunlight accelerates the process — oxygen and ozone continue the molecular attack even in the dark. Deterioration is clearly evident within a few hours — it begins to oxidize or “frost”— and soon the balloon will break apart into small pieces. Research has shown that under the same conditions latex decomposes as quickly as an oak leaf.

How long are latex balloons dangerous to wildlife after they enter the ocean?
"Latex rubber balloons are an important category of product in the marine environment. Promotional releases of balloons that descend into the sea pose a serious ingestion and/or entanglement hazard to marine animals. Based on the fairly rapid disintegration of balloons on exposure to sunlight in air, the expectation is that balloons do not pose a particularly significant problem. In an experiment we carried out in North Carolina we observed that balloons exposed floating in seawater deteriorated much slower than those exposed in air, and even after 12 months of exposure still retained their elasticity."
From the article: Plastics and Their Impacts in the Marine Environment by Anthony L. Andrady, Program Manager and Senior Research Scientist, Chemistry and Life Sciences Division, Research Triangle Institute, North Carolina. Proceedings of the International Marine Debris Conference on Derelict Fishing Gear and the Ocean Environment, August 6-11, 2000 Hawai'i Convention Center Honolulu, Hawai'i
The industry has attempted to collect all documented evidence and research covering the last 18 years which addresses the environmental and litter issues pertaining to balloons and mass releases.
This data shows only one substantiated incident in which a sea animal was harmed by a latex balloon.
This data shows no sea animal deaths due to a balloon.
Latex balloons are 100 percent organic, 100 biodegradable and decompose at a rate equal to that of an oak leaf.
On average, mass balloon releases have a return-to-earth rate of no greater than one balloon per 15 square miles.
Total debris collected during annual CMC U.S. coastal cleanup campaigns from 1994 to 1997 averaged balloons/pieces content of .61 percent and this ratio is steadily decreasing. In 1997 — the largest CMC cleanup by far — balloons accounted for only .52 percent.
Karen

Smithfield, VA

#14 Dec 21, 2012
Decomposition is 1 - 4 years. The info you quoted is put out by the balloon/party industry. Why is a balloon release such a wonderful thing anyway? BTW, Virginia recognizes balloon releases as damaging to the environment, and limits the number of balloons which can be released. For a conservative state like Virginia to take this action, that says something. Why won't Tim or anyone answer how many are being released? Maybe because the number will be illegal?
Wow

King George, VA

#15 Dec 21, 2012
Karen wrote:
Decomposition is 1 - 4 years. The info you quoted is put out by the balloon/party industry. Why is a balloon release such a wonderful thing anyway? BTW, Virginia recognizes balloon releases as damaging to the environment, and limits the number of balloons which can be released. For a conservative state like Virginia to take this action, that says something. Why won't Tim or anyone answer how many are being released? Maybe because the number will be illegal?
You must have had a really bad child hood! You should seek some help! Get a Life! Or Just Go away! Who made You the Queen Of CB!

Understanding and information goes a long way. You do not have either.
haykaren

King George, VA

#16 Dec 21, 2012
Karen wrote:
Since you seem to know please tell us what was the law that was broken to make this illegal? You will also want to check out if the fireworks that every town on the river uses during the $th of July and other events should also fall under the same law. the plastic used in the fireworks is real plastic.. Waiting for your response... If you can or will put you foot in your mouth.
Karen

White Stone, VA

#17 Dec 21, 2012
Here you go, smart ass.

Virginia

§ 29.1-556.1. Release of certain balloons prohibited; civil penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly release or cause to be released into the atmosphere within a one-hour period fifty or more balloons which are (i) made of a nonbiodegradable or nonphotodegradable material or any material which requires more than five minutes’ contact with air or water to degrade and (ii) inflated with a substance which is lighter than air. Any person who violates this section shall be liable for a civil penalty not to exceed five dollars per balloon released above the allowable limit, which shall be paid into the Lifetime Hunting and Fishing Endowment Fund established pursuant to § 29.1-101.1.

B. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) balloons released by or on behalf of any agency of the Commonwealth, or the United States or pursuant to a contract with the Commonwealth, the United States, or any other state, territory or government for scientific or meteorological purposes or (ii) hot air balloons that are recovered after launch.(1991, c. 607.)

This law is in Title 29 of the Code of Virginia, enforced by local law enforcement and prosecuted by local Commonwealth’s Attorney.
WowKaren

King George, VA

#18 Dec 21, 2012
Karen wrote:
Thank You Soooo Much Karen, Now I will that You have kissed my as_ These are the facts 500 BALLOONS given out to 50 PEOPLE ....That will mean only 10 BALLOONS per person WOW.....Based on the law you have posted I DO BELIEVE NO THAT"S RIGHT NO LAW was broken. You must be heart broken since you can no longer wine about end of the bs.....BY BY U R such a work of art! You have just been hung out for all to see u for what u r....BY BY
Here you go, smart ass.
Virginia
§ 29.1-556.1. Release of certain balloons prohibited; civil penalty.
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly release or cause to be released into the atmosphere within a one-hour period fifty or more balloons which are (i) made of a nonbiodegradable or nonphotodegradable material or any material which requires more than five minutes’ contact with air or water to degrade and (ii) inflated with a substance which is lighter than air. Any person who violates this section shall be liable for a civil penalty not to exceed five dollars per balloon released above the allowable limit, which shall be paid into the Lifetime Hunting and Fishing Endowment Fund established pursuant to § 29.1-101.1.
B. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) balloons released by or on behalf of any agency of the Commonwealth, or the United States or pursuant to a contract with the Commonwealth, the United States, or any other state, territory or government for scientific or meteorological purposes or (ii) hot air balloons that are recovered after launch.(1991, c. 607.)
This law is in Title 29 of the Code of Virginia, enforced by local law enforcement and prosecuted by local Commonwealth’s Attorney.
Thank You Soooo Much Karen, Now I will that You have kissed my as_ These are the facts 500 BALLOONS given out to 50 PEOPLE ....That will mean only 10 BALLOONS per person WOW.....Based on the law you have posted I DO BELIEVE NO THAT"S RIGHT NO LAW was broken. You must be heart broken since you can no longer wine about end of the bs.....BY BY U R such a work of art! You have just been hung out for all to see u for what u r....BY BY
Karen

White Stone, VA

#19 Dec 21, 2012
WowKaren wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, that's why I asked how many balloons were being released. Secondly, who gave out the 500 balloons? If one organization gave out 500 balloons, then they are in violation. Thanks for the info.
Karen

White Stone, VA

#20 Dec 21, 2012
And by the way, I make no apologies for caring for the environment. I spent a number of years working for a marine mammal stranding network, and know the heartbreak of death for these animals. Say what you will, but ignorance kills.
Karen

White Stone, VA

#21 Dec 21, 2012
And yes, I gave you the funny face, because you cannot be taken seriously.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King George County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Missing boy located and is safe (Oct '13) Oct '13 Hunter S 1
What's going on around town this weekend? The w... (Jun '13) Jul '13 guess 2
Colonial Beach man arrested following shooting (Mar '12) Apr '12 SCS 4
Albemarle County to Appeal Denial of Earthquake... (Jan '12) Jan '12 heh 2
King George Internet (Oct '11) Oct '11 Curtis 1
Virginia Wilkins (Jun '11) Jun '11 Roxanne Smith 3
Civil War message opened, decoded: No help coming (Dec '10) Dec '10 Kwanzaa Kenny fro... 1

King George County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE