Silver Line Rapid Transit Should Create Jobs For Kent County, Says Rapid CEO
A high-speed bus service, that operates more like a rail service, should create 450 jobs in Kent County.Full Story
#1 Apr 14, 2009
This $70 million tax increase on May 5th is being opposed by small businesses downtown. This affects you if you live in Grand Rapids, East Grand Rapids, Walker, Wyoming, Grandville, or Kentwood!
- The Silver Line will actually increase congestion on Division Avenue because two (of the four) lanes of traffic will be cut off to normal traffic during peak hours, so that the new BRT buses will have priority over all other traffic. That means that during rush hours, traffic will only be allowed one lane each way on Division Avenue.
- Rapid buses already travel this “new” route. The new Silver Line will only duplicate efforts and accomplish nothing new.
- This new bus route is being called a Bus Rapid Transit line (BRT). However, the length of the route is 9.87 miles and the travel time for that route is 36 minutes. That works out to a little over an average of 16 miles per hour. How do they call this rapid?
- Increasing taxes by $70 million during the worst recession since the Great Depression will only serve to kill more jobs in the Grand Rapids area.
- Very, very, very few of the residents of the ITP area will see any benefit whatsoever. Residents of Walker, Grandville, and East Grand Rapids will see no benefit at all.
- The dedicated lanes for these buses will eliminate crucial parking for the small businesses along Division.
#2 Apr 14, 2009
Learn more at http://www.itpwatch.org
#3 Apr 22, 2009
VOTE NO! May 5!
#4 Feb 17, 2011
You really need to fact check your work.
The election is actually on May 3rd so thank you for proving how much you really know about the millage. Go ahead and vote no on May 5 because it will be 2 days too late! Also $70 million dollars works out to $17/household/year to increase public transit service, create jobs, and improve our communities.
#5 Feb 17, 2011
how about taking $70 million and handing it out to home owners who have small balances.
less than $20,000
Green jobs, mass transit? makes no sense, we need jobs before they can be used.
Add your comments below
|Mana s arrest is linked to deadly barbershop sh...||Thu||Go Blue Forever||1|
|Jury now in charge of deciding whether Danyell ...||Dec 10||Shaffizzle||3|
|Grand Rapids woman who took $25,000 from aunt's...||Nov '14||Batch 37 Pain Is ...||1|
|Woman, 36, held without bond after fatal stabbi...||Sep '14||Batch 37 Pain Is ...||1|
|Kent County couple charged with sexually assaul...||Sep '14||doingit4thekids||8|
|Grand Rapids Police Close The Books On An Unsol...||Jul '14||Go Blue Forever||1|
|Americans for Prosperity donating to Grand Rapi... (Mar '14)||May '14||Bob||39|
Find what you want!
Search Kent County Forum Now
Copyright © 2014 Topix LLC