Fraud busters on rise against fake ve...

Fraud busters on rise against fake veterans

There are 20 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 7, 2007, titled Fraud busters on rise against fake veterans. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

When Douglas E. Robinson showed up in Yorkville saying he was a homeless Vietnam veteran who had lost everything in Hurricane Katrina, the American Legion post took pity on a former comrade in arms, giving him ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Darkwater

North Chicago, IL

#1 Oct 8, 2007
This is nothing new. I saw it in my National Guard unit. The Company Commander had stated that he was a Vetnam Vet and served with a Special Forces unit on the Laos border. Another stated he had been award both the Drill Sargeants Badge and was a Parachutist. In both cases, they were lying.
Whether it is ego, jealously, or trying to get something for nothing is dishonorable behavior. Tolerance for it should be zero.
A History teacher of mine stated it nicely, Check the facts, Verify, Verify, Verify. Because just because someone said it is true, or is written down somewhere does not make it so. That goes double for stuff on the net.
Ken

San Jose, CA

#2 Oct 8, 2007
Bring the liars down. They bring dishonor to every warrior and their families.

They are a shame to our country. They help the enemy.
Dude Lofgrin

Friendship, TN

#3 Oct 8, 2007
So grown up little boys wnna play soldier. Hasn't this country got much worse problems to worry about?
Dude Lofgrin

Friendship, TN

#4 Oct 8, 2007
Oh chill out!
Ken wrote:
Stephen R Hendrickx

Leominster, MA

#5 Oct 9, 2007
What a wonderful article. The issue of someone saying or
promoting themselves as a veteran is a serious issue. This is
something that needs to be dealt with on a national level in the
form of a federal law that can be enforced by any law agency in the
United States. Being a veteran is to have served our country in the
most noble of ways, that of serving in our military forces. There are
many veterans who were drafted and may not feel that their
service was as good or valued as those who joined, but all
veterans are equally valued and to be respected. A person
who misrepresents themselves for any reason devalues all
veterans because that person causes other veterans to have
a cloud of doubt over them.
We who are veterans should question all who claim veteran
status and have them bear the burden of proof. There are
those who claim a ribbon or medal that they were never
awarded or earned. These people whether veterans or not,
need to be brought to the forefront and be made to attone for
their lies and misrepresentations. This truly is a crime that
hurts all of us that are honorable veterans no matter when
or where we served. We are vets and have the honor and pride
that we deserve. The people who misrepresent themselves
are dishonorable and need to be dealt with and the
sooner the better.
I am a proud Vietnam vet and proud to say so.
Jack

Saint Ann, MO

#6 Oct 9, 2007
My great-uncle earned a Silver Star in WWII. The family never knew until just a few years before he passed away. It's not something he would talk about. He showed me the orders for his medal once. He is buried in Arlington with Silver Star on his tombstone.

“A tramp and a dude”

Since: Oct 07

out of town

#7 Oct 9, 2007
Stephen R Hendrickx wrote:
What a wonderful article. The issue of someone saying or
promoting themselves as a veteran is a serious issue. This is
something that needs to be dealt with on a national level in the
form of a federal law that can be enforced by any law agency in the
United States. Being a veteran is to have served our country in the
most noble of ways, that of serving in our military forces. There are
many veterans who were drafted and may not feel that their
service was as good or valued as those who joined, but all
veterans are equally valued and to be respected. A person
who misrepresents themselves for any reason devalues all
veterans because that person causes other veterans to have
a cloud of doubt over them.
We who are veterans should question all who claim veteran
status and have them bear the burden of proof. There are
those who claim a ribbon or medal that they were never
awarded or earned. These people whether veterans or not,
need to be brought to the forefront and be made to attone for
their lies and misrepresentations. This truly is a crime that
hurts all of us that are honorable veterans no matter when
or where we served. We are vets and have the honor and pride
that we deserve. The people who misrepresent themselves
are dishonorable and need to be dealt with and the
sooner the better.
I am a proud Vietnam vet and proud to say so.
How does a guy playing soldier take the glory from any veteran? Glory once earned, can never be taken by anybody. If everyone would just relax, and not give these clowns the attention they crave, they might just go away!
Kansasvet

Dodge City, KS

#8 Oct 17, 2007
They should all spend time in an Army prison, then sent to the war on graves detail.

[email protected]
R Weimer

Haysi, VA

#9 Dec 20, 2007
Im writing a college paper on the availabilty of fake military documents on the internet an cant find any examples. So its not as easy as Fox news loves to report. It is a terrible crime even if all it does is hold up a real vets benifits.
Martini

Omaha, NE

#10 Aug 15, 2009
Did i just work for a wannabe combat veteran?
He owns and tries to operate underwaterworld SCUBA in Omaha, Ne. He displays the S F "De Oppresso Liber" emblem in his store and on his vehicle and tells his customers that he was a Special forces Operator during Vietnam that served in Cambodia and Laos???

The stories he told me were very conflicting and hard to believe. One time i brought in an "Inert", practice claymore to the shop to paint from blue to O.D. He asked me what it was??? And the various times i told him that i had medical appointments at the Veterans Administration (V.A.), he would usually comment on how he hated the V.A. and would never go back there.

One of the medical problems that I have now is my knees. He would see me come into work with my knees all taped up and asked what was wrong. i would tell him that I had a couple bad ladings while jumping and he would reply with "you dont have to tell me about bad landings". He would also complain about his knees being in pain but didnt want to pay the cost for going to the doctor. If he is an actual combat veteran he could use the V.A. for free.

I had my doubt right off the bat when he told me he was SF in Vietnam and couldnt talk about it. i did some research through the Special Forces, Special Operations, Vietnam Veterans, VFW, the Legion, The American Airborne Association and the V.A. All came back with never hearing of this guy. And my unofficial report back from the V.A. doesnt even have him in the system.

Going back to his comments about the V.A., wouldnt he have to at least experience the V.A. before you would say that hated it or would never return???

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks and S/F, Martini
RodneyMcDowell

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#11 Oct 30, 2009
I have a neighbor Johnny Johnson who claims he is a vietnam veteran and sometimes he goes a little crazy LOL He said he was with the 131st (an armor tank division as far as I know) and was on a PT boat ha!

I asked where he was and he stuttered out umn ahh I dont talk about it... ok great !

This guy does not even met the minimum height requirements and has been unemployed and riding the state welfare system for 3 1/2 years that I know of for sure.

I would bet he claimed a veterans status on the welfare documents as well.

How do you officially report a piece of shit like him ? Comment me here and let me know.
cantsay

Lake Station, IN

#12 Nov 17, 2009
I know a family member who claims to be a disabled Vietnam Vet. I know that the war actually ended 2 weeks after he joined the Marines while he was still in boot camp. His girlfriend dumped him and he got drunk ans crashed his motorcycle. He has been on disability ever since. That has never bothered me. Last year, I went to Washington to see the Vietnam War Memorial. On Panel 51W his name - Donald L Gibson appears. The fact that he lies about being in Vietnam is bad enough. But since that visit to the wall, I cannot help but feel that he has stolen the identity of a truly brave young man who died for our country and it is appalling to me! I know he is not breaking any laws, but I feel that what he is doing is horrible. I would like to know if veterans on this site feel that I am overeacting or if this is as bad as I think it is? Thank your for taking the time to respond.
Burnett usmc

Muskogee, OK

#16 Jun 24, 2010
OPERATION STOLEN VALOR!!!!
was formed in 2007 in washington to find these parasites and fry them. Google it, Im reporting another tomorrow morning. Give them a call or e-mail. google operation stolen valor
Burnett usmc

Muskogee, OK

#17 Jun 24, 2010
cantsay wrote:
I know a family member who claims to be a disabled Vietnam Vet. I know that the war actually ended 2 weeks after he joined the Marines while he was still in boot camp. His girlfriend dumped him and he got drunk ans crashed his motorcycle. He has been on disability ever since. That has never bothered me. Last year, I went to Washington to see the Vietnam War Memorial. On Panel 51W his name - Donald L Gibson appears. The fact that he lies about being in Vietnam is bad enough. But since that visit to the wall, I cannot help but feel that he has stolen the identity of a truly brave young man who died for our country and it is appalling to me! I know he is not breaking any laws, but I feel that what he is doing is horrible. I would like to know if veterans on this site feel that I am overeacting or if this is as bad as I think it is? Thank your for taking the time to respond.
Yes, report him, I have too many dead marines from fallujah to let frauds take there honor. Please report them. Look up operstion stolen valor. Theyll take care of it, and if you need help ill do whatever i can. feel fre to e-mail me if you need to. [email protected] And yes, what hes doing is against the law.
Distressed mother

Piscataway, NJ

#18 Jul 1, 2010
Good morning,my recent ex-boyfriend and father of my son has told me, the woman he was cheating on me with, and a boat load of others that he was in the marine corp special operations unit. He said he was in covert missions all around the world. He said the military has sealed his identity in case anyone tries to do a search on him. He said if he travels to certain places in the world he could still get killed. The woman he was cheating on me with told me that he told her tha the reason he left the military was because if he got orders to shoot a baby he had to do it because babies can be terrorists too. He never could produce a military ID of any kind. He never takes advantage of military benefits either. In addition he told me that if anything was to happen to him that all of his children will be well taken care of by the military.

I am building a case to get full custody of my son. I have found about other woman and children as well. This man has gotten so mucn money from me and the others. He tries to get people to businesses in thier name for him so that he can dodge child support. He won't even sign for certified mail so he won't be liable for its contents. Please help me stop him.
Distressed mother

Piscataway, NJ

#19 Jul 1, 2010
My ex also tells everyone that he has a master's degree from Rutgers University. I need to get hard core proof that he's lying so I can bring it to court. In addition to getting full custody I am also trying to make a case to change my son's middle and last name which he took from his father.
Veteran

United States

#22 Aug 16, 2011
Ken wrote:
I was a COD C1-A aircrewmen off the USS oriskany CVA34 in 1972. These guys that lie about being Vietnam Vets should be hung. I have all my DD-214 records stating everywhere i've been and back. Job description, medals, eveything. Do they not ask for verification? This country takes it to lightly as to who the real Patriots truly are. I know people who have died and given their lives and these idiots proclaim to be hereos? What has happened to this country.
Veteran

United States

#23 Aug 16, 2011
A number of years ago I was invited to a vfw meeting in Anahiem Ca.and had never met so many fake vets? what gives.? I am sorry to say but I will never join any veterans group unless I know that there are no phonies on board. You guys who claim to be vets are a big laugh. I know a vet when I talk and see a real veteran. Sorry boys, you aren't fooling anyone,and are only disgracing your family and friends. Losers.
usnvet

Bellingham, MA

#24 Apr 24, 2012
How does on report a fake vet. Definition of a veteran must have served 120 days active duty.
Angry citizen

United States

#25 Apr 6, 2013
I know a woman who is very close to my family who went to boot camp and faked an injury just to get out. Sh is now collecting over $4000 in benefits for an injury that doesn't exist. She went up for review last month and decided to stay in bed nd claim she was in so much pain that she couldn't even get out of bed. After she received the letter stating she could keep her benefits she was suddenly healed. She has been taking long rides on her harley and taking vacations. I don't know how any person can get by with doing this. If you are in too much pain to get out of bed there is no way you can sit on a motorcycle for hours non stop. If anyone knows what I or none else can do to stop this person from continuing to steal money from real disabled vets that deserve it please let me know. She was already turned in once that's why they did the review to make sure she was eligible still and she just pretended she was in too much pain to get out of bed through the entire month they were investigating her. I don't feel this is fair to the real disabled vets and needs to stop.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kendall County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cops sued for racial slur facing new suit ... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Wilsonthejudge 1
News Sheriff's Police Investigating Report of Shots ... (Sep '14) Sep '14 abible 1
News Veteran Oswego Officer Chosen as Baird's Successor (Jul '14) Jul '14 Victim 1
News Five Plano High students charged over possible ... (Aug '13) Sep '13 Wilson the Judge 5
News Golinski: Yorkville Plans Small Tax Levy Reduct... (Aug '12) Jun '13 been here awhile 2
News Yorkville 115's Property Tax Rate Third Highest... (May '13) May '13 mz sazzy 1
News Charges Filed in Boulder Hill Shooting (Jul '12) Feb '13 fat folkz rotz 2
More from around the web