Tornado of '54 took lives, brought its share of misery

There are 1 comment on the The Macon Telegraph story from May 17, 2008, titled Tornado of '54 took lives, brought its share of misery. In it, The Macon Telegraph reports that:

“You had to drive out Emery Highway and go through Cross Keys to get there. The Shurling Drive bridge over Walnut Creek hadn't been built yet.”

Former Telegraph photographer Everett Drinnon shows a camera like the one he used after a tornado hit Macon in March 1954. via The Macon Telegraph

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Macon Telegraph.

Vicki Weimer Shealy

Warner Robins, GA

#1 May 18, 2008
I remember my dad carrying my sister Sherry and me downstairs and covering us with a mattress during the Macon tornado of 1954. The next day, we surveyed the damage around North Avenue where we lived. I was much too young then to understand the full impact of the damage and the miracle that we had survived.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jones County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
arlington news great news Mar '15 great day 1
News The forgotten fort on the frontier of the war (Mar '12) Mar '12 Yo Yo 1
News Meet Jim LeBrun (Jul '09) Jul '09 Steve Carson 1
Dog shooting (Nov '06) Nov '08 Concerned Citizens 2
News Gray barber, 75, fatally stabbed at his business (Jul '08) Jul '08 Martin 1
News Schools passing on teaching Bible (Jan '08) Feb '08 Front 3
News Car Stolen By Tow Truck (Aug '07) Aug '07 Joe Blow 1
More from around the web