Groups want Johnston County sheriff's...

Groups want Johnston County sheriff's resignation after remarks...

There are 18 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Sep 20, 2008, titled Groups want Johnston County sheriff's resignation after remarks.... In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Almost two dozen civil rights groups on Friday asked for the resignation of a North Carolina sheriff who has come under fire for his statements about Latinos, including calling Mexicans 'trashy' while driving ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Connie

Raleigh, NC

#1 Sep 29, 2008
In my opinion, someone is “pulling the wool over” the eyes of Johnston Co.
I live on the same road as steve bizzell and he did NOT protect and serve me.
A hunter put out scraps mixed w/ a deadly pesticide Counter. I became sick 3 times after dealing with animals dying in my garden and holding a dying pet full of the poison. I nearly died in the hospital and have my medical records to prove it!
. steve bizzell stated to my sister that he knew who was doing the poisoning, and in fact had known it FOR YEARS!
In the end all I got, when the cases were dropped, was ILD, dead pets and other animals , and a knowlege that was NO JUSTICE FOR ME AND NONE FOR THE DOZENS OF ANIMALS THAT WERE MURDERED. ALL UNDER THE WATCHFUL EYE OF THE sHERIFF!
The cases were closed and never resolved.
He will have to answer to a higher being, to explain the reason he allowed this serial animal killer to get away with murder of all those poor animals…… And knowing I was sick and sat back and did nothing….. Oh he did say quote “I made it hot and he got out of the kitchen” one of his great mediphors.
In my opinion, the hunters and farmers (who found dead animals on their land) and the farmer that sold the poison to begin with… wanted these cases to “go away” and they did.
Connie House-Harmon
bizzell Grove Church Road
Keith former Gun-bunny

United States

#2 Sep 29, 2008
Connie wrote:
In my opinion, someone is “pulling the wool over” the eyes of Johnston Co.
I live on the same road as steve bizzell and he did NOT protect and serve me.
A hunter put out scraps mixed w/ a deadly pesticide Counter. I became sick 3 times after dealing with animals dying in my garden and holding a dying pet full of the poison. I nearly died in the hospital and have my medical records to prove it!
. steve bizzell stated to my sister that he knew who was doing the poisoning, and in fact had known it FOR YEARS!
In the end all I got, when the cases were dropped, was ILD, dead pets and other animals , and a knowlege that was NO JUSTICE FOR ME AND NONE FOR THE DOZENS OF ANIMALS THAT WERE MURDERED. ALL UNDER THE WATCHFUL EYE OF THE sHERIFF!
The cases were closed and never resolved.
He will have to answer to a higher being, to explain the reason he allowed this serial animal killer to get away with murder of all those poor animals…… And knowing I was sick and sat back and did nothing….. Oh he did say quote “I made it hot and he got out of the kitchen” one of his great mediphors.
In my opinion, the hunters and farmers (who found dead animals on their land) and the farmer that sold the poison to begin with… wanted these cases to “go away” and they did.
Connie House-Harmon
bizzell Grove Church Road
Hate to hear that but in the case of illegals, I have to stand by the Sheriff. As for you, he should be kicked off the force if what you say is fact.
Connie

Raleigh, NC

#3 Sep 30, 2008
> Investigators closing in on poisoning suspect
>
> By MANDY LOCKE, Staff Writer
>
> MICRO -- In a quiet country block just off Interstate 95, animals have been
dropping dead for more than a year -- victims of a feast of table scraps doused
in toxic pesticide.
> "Someone is baiting them," said Ken Crabtree, a pesticide inspector for the
state Department of Agriculture.
>
> Crabtree has been investigating this case since the state's veterinary
laboratory in Raleigh found heavy doses of Counter -- a pesticide used to keep
insects off corn stalks -- in the stomachs of several dead dogs last winter. The
culprit stashed bags filled with food scraps and Counter concentrate along
ponds, near fence rows and along wooded paths in this community.
>
> Neighbors are pointing fingers at one of their own -- risky business in a
community where many of the residents are kin. Crabtree thinks they are on the
right track, but he cannot prove it yet.
>
> The FBI is studying the Ziploc bags for fingerprints, and Crabtree said he
hopes to have results within a week. The State Bureau of Investigation refused
to handle the bags, saying they were too toxic.
>
> "The person whose fingerprints show up has definitely got some explaining to
do," said Johnston County Sheriff's Deputy Detective James Gerrell. If the lab
can make a match, the sheriff's department will be pressing criminal charges
against the suspect, he said. The culprit could also face state fines of up to
$2,000 for improper use of pesticides.
>
> While most chalk this up to pure and simple animal cruelty, Crabtree said the
suspect has clear reasons for poisoning the animals.
>
> "He's an avid hunter, and he's doing it to kill the predators," said Crabtree.
"He's trying to build up the quail and rabbit population in the area. He thinks
if he kills the natural predators, he'll have a lot more to hunt." The culprit
has most likely burned or buried most of the evidence, Crabtree said.
>
> Residents on Bizzell Grove Church Road said they have long stumbled across the
carcasses of foxes and deer in the backwoods near their homes. Poisoned foxes
and possums often limped into Connie Harmon's garden or crawled beneath her
double-wide trailer to die. She would find them weeks later when the flies
swarmed around their bodies.
>
> But when family pets started dying, residents tried to solve the mystery.
>
> "I had seven dogs, and now I'm down to three," said Deborah Hancock, whose
last mutt, Dixie, died in July. "I'm paranoid to let my dogs out now."
>
> Harmon held her granddaughter's Jack Russell terrier, Terry, last fall as it
gasped for air and shuddered in her arms.
>
> Harmon has been ill since her contact with the poisoned dog last fall. Doctors
at Johnston Memorial Hospital found terbufos, the active ingredient in Counter,
in her bloodstream. Clumps of her ankle-length hair now fall out in the shower,
and she has long since given up working in her garden.
>
> Harmon's son, Ryan Brown, moved because he worried his two toddlers would come
in contact with the poison. The bait that killed their dog has been found
planted along the edge of their Bizzell Grove Church Road property.
>
> "My little girl already had to see her dog die," Brown said. "Is my young'un
supposed to be the next guinea pig?"
fred

Durham, NC

#4 Oct 7, 2008
Sounds like ever who was putting out this sh-- could have accidently killed anyone around this area. I googled this terbufros (counter) and it is regulated by the government and is very toxic. Did you contact the sheriff or wasn't he involved at all to stop this? You have to have a chemical card to even buy it. If it is that easy to get your hands on something this deadly!!!! looks like the gov. would like to at least find out who was giving this stuff away. Talk about home-grown terrorism!!!!!!
fred

Durham, NC

#8 Oct 8, 2008
Connie lives in Johnston Co Tami Kelly lives in Raleigh. Nuff said.
Voter

Lincolnton, NC

#9 Oct 8, 2008
If the voters voted him in don't let the special interest groups toss him out. Let the voters vote him out if they want to.

“born here/raised here”

Since: Jun 07

asheville

#10 Oct 8, 2008
he spoke his mind and told the truth! thats a good thing.
Lynn

Lincolnton, NC

#11 Oct 8, 2008
Connie wrote:
Madam you are confused. Your prosecutor has the responsibility to carry out justice. Not the sheriff. If the charges were dropped you need to be angry with the prosecutor not the sheriff. The sheriff cannot get anything to trial or keep there if the prosecutor doesn't carry it through. Maybe the cases were to weak or maybe those charged were found not guilty. I don't know but your anger is misdirected.
Connie

Raleigh, NC

#12 Oct 8, 2008
"Madam you are confused..."
" I don't know but your anger is misdirected"
"Maybe the cases were to weak"

"the prosecutor doesn't carry it through."

Of course the prosecutor didn't carry it though..He was only given 2 cases, 2 dead dogs!!

Dozens of domestic and wild animals were murdered and 12 people had pets to die. All documented. We have all the paperwork.
We were told, by NCDA, that the cases were 95% solved. When the sheriff became involved, ONLY at the end of the cases, these cases were dropped.
EPA told us, quote.. "There's a coverup somewhere..I just don't know who all's under that sheet."
The ONLY CONFUSION I felt was when I was in the hospital fighting for my life after being poisoned.

"1-Distant history of Arsenic Exposure previously, and more recent exposure to the pesticide called Terbufos. Atypical Pneumonia superinfection on top of this."
I sent this to the sheriff's office and got no reply.

That's only part of my medical record..And if you don't think that's enough for me to be mad you can KMA!!
Sam JD

Lincolnton, NC

#13 Oct 8, 2008
Connie wrote:
"Madam you are confused..."
" I don't know but your anger is misdirected"
"Maybe the cases were to weak"
"the prosecutor doesn't carry it through."
Of course the prosecutor didn't carry it though..He was only given 2 cases, 2 dead dogs!!
Dozens of domestic and wild animals were murdered and 12 people had pets to die. All documented. We have all the paperwork.
We were told, by NCDA, that the cases were 95% solved. When the sheriff became involved, ONLY at the end of the cases, these cases were dropped.
EPA told us, quote.. "There's a coverup somewhere..I just don't know who all's under that sheet."
The ONLY CONFUSION I felt was when I was in the hospital fighting for my life after being poisoned.
"1-Distant history of Arsenic Exposure previously, and more recent exposure to the pesticide called Terbufos. Atypical Pneumonia superinfection on top of this."
I sent this to the sheriff's office and got no reply.
That's only part of my medical record..And if you don't think that's enough for me to be mad you can KMA!!
Prosecutors can and do ask for additional information, subpoena for information and force witnesses to talk. The other poster was correct. If the prosecutor wanted or needed additional information he should have gotten it! You seem to have a real vendetta for this sheriff. So be it. But dead court cases aren't the sheriff's fault.
fred

Durham, NC

#14 Oct 8, 2008
N.C. has NEVER had a case that a person was proven to be poisoned by this type of pesticide. In my opinion... seems like alot of folks wanted to keep it that way!! What is NCDA getting paid for if they had this much evidence, and couldn't prove anything?!
Connie

Raleigh, NC

#15 Oct 8, 2008
"You seem to have a real vendetta for this sheriff"
nah..as a person he's ok...I live right down the road from him... I just expect to get the same protection under law as everyone else.
He should have said "Not in my county!"

"So be it"...Whatever
fred

Durham, NC

#16 Oct 8, 2008
If Someone I loved or a member of my family almost died from this stuff, I'd be mad too!! If farmers use this pesticide and have a accidental runoff, someone is called to put it in a sealed container and then it is carried to a waste dump. If all these animals died on the ground or were buried, they are containers. Connie, weren't your neighbors concerned, because i'm sure they have well water?
Connie

Raleigh, NC

#17 Oct 9, 2008
The justice system works this way. Local law enforcement agencies are responsible for investigating the crimes. They then submit reports to the District Attorney’s Office for review. Prosecutors look at the evidence and law and determine if there is sufficient evidence to prove the case.
Connie

Raleigh, NC

#18 Oct 13, 2008
Connie, weren't your neighbors concerned, because i'm sure they have well water?

They were in the beginning... but after others became involved they got quiet. They must not love animals like I do...
----------
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.... Edmund Burke
----------
No question is ever settled
Until it is settled right."
— Ella Wheeler Wilcox
----------
kristi

Raleigh, NC

#19 Oct 13, 2008
i think people are really getting tooo mean on here, they can speak their opinion extactly the way they want bc this is america.. i mean didnt the sheriff speak his mind quiet openly??

oh but we should be able to, but realy should he?? i really want to know some answers on here!! even if you agree with what he said which im sure ALOT do, do you honestly think he was in the right position to speak this???? mmmmm NO I DONT THINK SO!!!!! comment back like you want to but right is right. i betcha he can make sure he gets some people busted for drugs. No matter what color, there's alot of evil going on whether it be killing animals, kids, adults! me personally i feel if you can kill an animal in that sorta manner the next step would be a person. but then again thats my persoanl opinion & i guess we're allowed that since we are lead by someone who speaks his opinions freely... oh btw I am white
fred

Durham, NC

#20 Oct 14, 2008
Kristi, he is in the news alot for drug busts. What happens to the cars, homes, ect. not to mention all that money that is found at the scene??? I was just wondering. As a public servant, we pay him to protect us. That's his job. He should be gun-hoe and dedicated to protect ALL citizens. No matter what the threat is....
mike

Spring Lake, NC

#21 Oct 14, 2008
Voter wrote:
If the voters voted him in don't let the special interest groups toss him out. Let the voters vote him out if they want to.
My sentiments exactly, this is why we have elections. If the citizens of Johnston County want a new sherriff then elect one. Mob rule is an unacceptable alternative.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnston County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fire destroys ex-KKK leader's home (Apr '08) Jun '17 Phuckulibtards 19
News ACLU Probes NC Sheriff Who Called Hispanics "Tr... (Sep '08) Nov '16 Banks want Clinton 33
Johnston County Arrest Mugshots and Criminal R... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Lily 2
News Johnston Sheriff's Department Seize Stolen Good... (Aug '08) Oct '16 Murray 8
News Man accused of raping a 16-year-old member of h... (Jun '09) May '15 Holywoman50 11
News 5 from Wake Co. charged in Clayton homicide (Sep '11) May '15 Jonathan 4
Raleigh activists calls for full accountability... (Dec '14) Dec '14 no justice 1
More from around the web