Fire ravages old cotton mill

Fire ravages old cotton mill

There are 2 comments on the The Smithfield Herald story from Apr 4, 2006, titled Fire ravages old cotton mill. In it, The Smithfield Herald reports that:

Nearly 250 firefighters from 26 fire departments in Johnston, Wake and Wilson counties battled the blaze that destroyed an old cotton mill on Millbrook Street near Lizzie Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Smithfield Herald.

Cary, NC

#1 Apr 6, 2006
my family lives near the cotten mill and i will tell yuo from first hand this fire was 1 set by someone it cover to much of the roof to fast and
two it has been made out more then what is waswe didnt need all of the fire trucks that where there while i was there watching them fight the fire only a couple of trucks between 3 to 5 where even fighting the fire at one time more of the trucks where just in the way then any good for fighting the fire also the fire fighters from selma let the fire burn next to and right above the heating oil tank for the mill that had 400 gallons of kerosene in it the smithfield department finally realise there was kerosene in the tank and started to to fight the fire there thank god for the other fire fither that came and they all done a great job but as far as selma's fire department i am disgusted with there inadequate performance with this and other situations in the past i was also a witness to a car accident where a older lady ran off the road and hit a tree in the same area the woman had a heart attack and hit a tree 911 was called the police came and then the fire chief came to the scean and before the ambulance could get to the scean 25 mins later they had 3 fire trucks blocking the road to the accident jaws of life wernt use when the ambulance did get there they had to park down the road almost two blocks from the scean because of the fire trucks in the way which was bad for the older lady that died from shock when she arrived at the hospital maybe if the fire trucks wernt there and in the wayand the own selma rescue had got there in time (also it was less hen 1 mile from the fire and rescue departments) the woman might have got the aid in time to help save her life
so all in all the other fire departments done great job but the fire department in selma is a joke and need to be reformed as well as the rescue department
m blust

United States

#2 Jul 18, 2007
First of all John you need to learn how to spell before saying bad things about other people or depts. You complain about the mass quanity of fire trucks at this fire but for one on any incident it's better to more than to not have enough. The fire trucks that were standing by had the water supply that was being used to extinguish the fire. Each dept. rotated back and forth bringing water to the fire they were not sitting around roasting marshmellows. I think that the Selma Firefighters,Police,and Ems do an excellent job. I wouldn't talk bad about them b/c I'm sure one of these depts. sometime over the years have helped you out and you never know when you might need them again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnston County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man accused of raping a 16-year-old member of h... (Jun '09) May '15 Holywoman50 11
News 5 from Wake Co. charged in Clayton homicide (Sep '11) May '15 Jonathan 4
Raleigh activists calls for full accountability... (Dec '14) Dec '14 no justice 1
News Illegal alien charged with sexually assaulting ... (Oct '13) Dec '14 no justice 6
News Diego Reyes and Francisco Javier Zuniga (Aug '09) Nov '13 The King 18
News Clayton police arrest 5 in drug bust (Jun '07) Aug '13 No name 12
News First “legal” brewery opens in Johnst... (Apr '13) Apr '13 ddog 1
More from around the web