Health care law could mean thousands ...

Health care law could mean thousands more for smokers

There are 8 comments on the WAVE-TV Louisville story from Jul 2, 2013, titled Health care law could mean thousands more for smokers. In it, WAVE-TV Louisville reports that:

As companies like UPS and school systems such as the Jefferson County Public Schools enact new anti-smoking policies, WAVE 3 News is examining some of the implications of the Affordable Care Act.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WAVE-TV Louisville.

Clara

Benton, KY

#1 Jul 4, 2013
Smokers should be charged more for their health care..... Diabetics who do nothing to improve their eating habits or make any effort to change their lifestyle should pay more as well. Those who know they have have high cholesterol and continue to eat foods detrimental to their health should be charged more, too. Kind of hard to document, I guess.
Susie

United States

#2 Jul 4, 2013
Clara wrote:
Smokers should be charged more for their health care..... Diabetics who do nothing to improve their eating habits or make any effort to change their lifestyle should pay more as well. Those who know they have have high cholesterol and continue to eat foods detrimental to their health should be charged more, too. Kind of hard to document, I guess.
I absolutely agree. Why should those who take care of their bodies have to pay the price for those who refuse to? Smoking, obesity, recreational use of drugs and more. People choose to create these problems in their lives--and I have to pay for them? Why not require you and I (and all if you out there) to pay someone elses's DUI tickets? Same thing. All choices. Period. Most people are overweight and that leads to a plethora of problems--high blood pressure, stroke, cardiovascular disease, heart attack and on and on. We all know what smoking does--cancer of lung,bladder, intestine, throat, esophagus and more. And drug abusers abuse other people including so many defenseless children. Alcohol related car accidents every 20-30 minutes.
So make these people responsible for their choices. I should have the choice not to pay for their choices.
Politically incorrect

United States

#3 Jul 4, 2013
Same with welfare kids...why should I haft to pay taxes for laquisha and her six crack babies? Also why should I haft to pay a social security tax for grandpa Joe? I'm perfectly capable of saving for my retirement why must the government force me to save with social security. Ill tell you why, its about control and surveillance not security that's why. Give em a number force em to use it for everything that way the fed can get ya wherever you are.
Politically incorrect

United States

#4 Jul 4, 2013
Obama care WILL force a rfid chip in you, watch and see. This is the mark of the beast, its obvious and right smack in you're pig faces. It wont start off that way but like Cass sunstein said "you gotta nudge the public to get them to conform." They have been doing it for years. Free health care! But we gotta keep you're identity safe so take this chip, Years later...gotta have the chip to do monetary transactions. Take the mark piggies, its for you're own good!
Susie

United States

#5 Jul 4, 2013
Politically incorrect wrote:
Same with welfare kids...why should I haft to pay taxes for laquisha and her six crack babies? Also why should I haft to pay a social security tax for grandpa Joe? I'm perfectly capable of saving for my retirement why must the government force me to save with social security. Ill tell you why, its about control and surveillance not security that's why. Give em a number force em to use it for everything that way the fed can get ya wherever you are.
I agree. And one aspect of Social Security that most people don't know--that is, a stay at home spouse gets a Social Security check even if she has not contributed to S Security. Her working spouse doesn't pay one red cent extra in Social Security for that non tax contributing spouse-yet when it comes Social Security age-that stay at home spouse gets a Social Security check equal to one half of the the tax paying working spouse's full check and he gets his full check. If another unmarried worker made the same as the previous worker he'd only get the one check. So the married worker with the non contributing spouse gets 50% more S Security coming into his household. That's outrageous. I know an unmarried lady who worked 40+ years at low paying jobs and who gets the same as a noncontributing spouse. I think everyone should bear the burden. Even women who want to stay home with their children--that's fine. But when their kids are raised and they want to get a SS check--they must earn it. Everyone should bear the burden--both federal tax and SSecurity. I hope the way I explained it makes sense. You'll never hear about this on tv or advertised. Look up spouse benefits on the SSecurity website. Millions of noncontributing spouses get these checks There's a lot more wrong than this. This is just for starters. The young people need to put their feet down. These are the reasons it's going broke. So women who didn't contribute get a check and you who worked and paid tax won't get one. Horrible
Politically incorrect

United States

#6 Jul 4, 2013
Only one way to fix America. Good old fashion revolution.
sheepleloveroyal ty

Bryn Mawr, PA

#7 Jul 5, 2013
Everyone's blaming everyone else's health for the cost of health care INSURANCE. Until 2014 it is still voluntary to pay for health CARE through INSURANCE.

In a true free market health CARE system smokers, fattys, out of shapers, weekend warriors could all find care. Everyone's fixated on INSURANCE which was meant for A catastrophic medical illness. A huge chunk of health INSURANCE cost is that many patients AND medical 'professionals' are using it for routine maintenance or boo boos & sniffles.

Don't get sucked into the INSURANCE play because that what Obama Care is, an INSURANCE bill.
Susie

United States

#8 Jul 6, 2013
sheepleloveroyalty wrote:
Everyone's blaming everyone else's health for the cost of health care INSURANCE. Until 2014 it is still voluntary to pay for health CARE through INSURANCE.
In a true free market health CARE system smokers, fattys, out of shapers, weekend warriors could all find care. Everyone's fixated on INSURANCE which was meant for A catastrophic medical illness. A huge chunk of health INSURANCE cost is that many patients AND medical 'professionals' are using it for routine maintenance or boo boos & sniffles.
Don't get sucked into the INSURANCE play because that what Obama Care is, an INSURANCE bill.
Yes, people are using hospitals like a doctor visit--going to the emergency rooms for minimal health problems. That is a huge problem. I worked in hospital health care for 40 years. The problem is worsening astronomically. But also, the high cost of health care is because of obesity. Almost all of the patients are overweight, causing non insulin dependant diabetes, high blood pressure, heart attack, open heart surgery, a gazillion total knee and total hip replacements, stroke and on and on. It's so outrageous that people choose to do this to themselves and then expect others to pay their medical bills. It's not hard to do the right thing. Quit smoking. Quit drinking. Quit doing all the other harmful things. Just do it. But if one chooses to do those things then his insurance premiums have to be much higher. Surely no one could argue with that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jefferson County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roofing scam Jul 22 Victim 1
Jefferson County Music Thread (Jul '13) Jul 9 Musikologist 6
News 'Dog and pony show:' Jefferson Co. PVA faces do... Jun '15 Ace 1
Metro Council considers adding millions to fix ... Jun '15 Marilyn Parker 2
News Color Run 5K splashes across downtown Louisvill... Jun '15 African Beauty 1
News Metro Councilman David James resigns University... Jun '15 Hey 1
News Louisville man accused using computer to arrang... Jun '15 Politically Incor... 2
More from around the web