Fire strikes troubled cemetery

Fire strikes troubled cemetery

There are 10 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Apr 2, 2007, titled Fire strikes troubled cemetery. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The office of the Grandview Memorial Gardens cemetery in Jefferson County, Ind., went up in flames early yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

suspicious

United States

#1 Apr 2, 2007
Seems soggy to me.

“Finally Settled in Lawrence”

Since: Mar 07

Lawrence the City not Township

#3 Apr 2, 2007
Hhhmmm, how convenient. Wonder if the records for the burials were burned up? Let wait and see...
NOBODY

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Apr 2, 2007
WHAT A COVER UP
old fogy

Louisville, KY

#5 Apr 2, 2007
Dead men don't talk. Burned records don't record.

Since: Mar 07

AOL

#6 Apr 2, 2007
Luckily the records survived intact. Credit that to either:
1) Excellent response time by the local volunteer fire departments or
2) The arsonist(s)were of amateur caliber.
The two previous owners were total jokes. Carriage Services, a Texas conglomerate, owned it from 1996 to 2001, when a local mortician named Jim Holt bought it. He sold it to two different buyers (clever). Jim Holt has been in trouble with the Federal Trade Commission for violations of consumer protection laws in the 1990's as well as the US Dept. of Labor - twice - for failing to abide by wage and overtime laws, once in the 1980's and again in the 1990's. He's a real class act and stupid enough to leave enough evidence behind if he was involved in this latest chapter.
Thank You

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Apr 2, 2007
Thank you, DST!
Give me a dry berth

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Apr 2, 2007
Could it possibly be that certain records will be alleged to have burnt up?
Curious in Greenwood

United States

#9 Apr 2, 2007
Sounds awful suspicious to me. Wonder if the burial records were destroyed as well. Someone from the state needs to get down to the cemetery immediately and salvage whatever they can. As for Carriage Services, they have always been noted for being a reputable company. I seriously would doubt that they had any play in the cemeteries problems. Maybe Carriage shouldve maintained ownership of the cemetery.
openwheeler

Cohoes, NY

#11 Apr 2, 2007
I wonder how many bodies they found?
Clifford

United States

#12 Apr 2, 2007
I couldn't figure how a cemetary could catch on fire, unless they buried one with a lit cigarette.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jefferson County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Body of Missing Dupont Man Found At Crosley Fis... (Feb '17) Feb '17 BearFeet 1
News School bus driver reports alleged abuse incident (Oct '16) Oct '16 Knowitall8914 1
News Pair captured after alleged theft from Walmart (Aug '15) Aug '15 addazz 2
News Daniel Reaves: No clues into disappearance (May '12) Sep '14 interested1072 12
News Prosecutor drops 63 cases after officer's arrest (Feb '14) Mar '14 Fast Cars-pretty ... 5
News Charges dropped in robbery after prosecution delay (May '12) Mar '14 Fast Cars-pretty ... 10
News West Nile found near water treatment plant (Jul '13) Jul '13 durr 3
More from around the web