Labor contract extended at Ravenswood...

Labor contract extended at Ravenswood rolling mill

There are 95 comments on the Charleston Daily Mail story from Jul 16, 2012, titled Labor contract extended at Ravenswood rolling mill. In it, Charleston Daily Mail reports that:

The labor contract between Constellium and United Steelworkers Local 5668, which represents workers at the company's aluminum rolling mill at Ravenswood, has been extended to midnight Sunday, according to a message posted on the union local's website.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Daily Mail.

Junior Jr

Hyattsville, MD

#22 Jul 17, 2012
1ridgerunner wrote:
<quoted text>just a little to smart for you...LMAO
Well then, you must not be, because then you would have gotten it right and it would be ...
... "just a little TOO smart for you" ... not TO, genius.
Now, that's funny right there. I don't care who you are!!!
ROTFLMAO
Seriously

Ravenswood, WV

#23 Jul 17, 2012
fitness-guru READ wrote:
sitting around r-wood waiting for a factory to open ? how long will you do this ? why not seek employment elsewhere to feed your familys. is that union still paying you guys for nothing ? face it, the town hasnt really got much to offer does it ? am i mistaken ?
You ask a great question- why not seek employment elsewhere. It's simple, then there would be nothing to complain and bitch about. Also, it would require effort and desire, something the unemployed do not have.
Give an inch take a mile

Point Pleasant, WV

#24 Jul 17, 2012
harry wrote:
Believe me the Money is not Bad,But it is not as Good as you think.it is not always about money. I have a wife and three kid`s. insurance is the only great thing about the plant. And they want to take it.or at least part of it.when you give a little they seem to want more. All we want is to keep what we got. Pay raise is not even a concern!And if you want to know we do not make half of what AEP make`s and nobody talk`s about them.

Do NOT give an inch or they will take a mile next contract! They gave salaried over 10% bonus last year and invested millions in that plant (not to shut it down). Make them continue w/current benefits or strike! You will have them where you want them, trust me! Do NOT take any concessions or you are insane! They are setting records and want to run that plant. If you give them an inch....it will only open up a can of worms! Vote no to ANY concessions!
Junior Jr

Hyattsville, MD

#25 Jul 17, 2012
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
You ask a great question- why not seek employment elsewhere. It's simple, then there would be nothing to complain and bitch about. Also, it would require effort and desire, something the unemployed do not have.
And, don't forget ... a lot of "men" today just can't get off mama's tit. They just can't possibly leave home for the big, wide, scary world. Wimps!
bastardguy

United States

#26 Jul 18, 2012
Constellium is run by Leon Black and the rest of his communist henchmen at Apollo Global Management. They dont give a shit about anyone who receives a paycheck from anywhere but that big skyscraper in NYC. The contract extension will do nothing except give us time to get our rifles sighted in. Good luck Constellium, you cocksucks.
bacon hater

Columbus, OH

#27 Jul 18, 2012
bastardguy wrote:
The contract extension will do nothing except give us time to get our rifles sighted in. Good luck Constellium, you cocksucks.
The EXACT reason why not one single company has invested a dime in Ravenswood since 1991. These people are worse than any lazy welfare recipient. At least the ones on welfare aren't poisonong an entire community and decimating the economy. Uneducated, unskilled workers. Gimme gimme gimme.
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#29 Jul 18, 2012
you mess with me....and i will shut down this factory, even if i have to flatten tires with jack rocks. go ahead, put a hiway patrolman in front of the plant. i will bang on your windows and call you names for wanting to support you family.
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#30 Jul 18, 2012
why would anyone want to do business in r-wood. it flat out isnt worth the chance, so sad, r-wood was a nice town, so desperate to sell picles in the park.
Unreal

Point Pleasant, WV

#31 Jul 19, 2012
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text>
The EXACT reason why not one single company has invested a dime in Ravenswood since 1991. These people are worse than any lazy welfare recipient. At least the ones on welfare aren't poisonong an entire community and decimating the economy. Uneducated, unskilled workers. Gimme gimme gimme.
Bacon hater obviously doesn't read the news! Many millions of dollar were and are being invested there! Go get a degree or two & think about what you just said!

The stretcher cost more than you will make in a lifetime and that is NOT the only investment. Wake up & smell the roses. Your intellect is showing!
Cindi

Hyattsville, MD

#32 Jul 19, 2012
fitness-guru wrote:
you mess with me....and i will shut down this factory, even if i have to flatten tires with jack rocks. go ahead, put a hiway patrolman in front of the plant. i will bang on your windows and call you names for wanting to support you family.
What about the men who were locked out after giving decades of their lives and sacrificing their health to that company? Do you get it, Guru? They went to work one day with lunchpails in hand and were LOCKED OUT! They were given nothing. No explanation. No severance pay. No unemployment. No training. No benefits. Nothing! What about their families? You don't think they were in the supporting theirs? Jack rocks were wrong! Striking was not.
Big Mac

South Lyon, MI

#33 Jul 22, 2012
I work at a restaurant in town and I hear you guys working out there making so much money and bragging about hiding yourselves and sleeping on the job. I wish I made half as much as you and was given a chance to pay for some sort of healthcare.
True

United States

#34 Jul 23, 2012
Big Mac wrote:
I work at a restaurant in town and I hear you guys working out there making so much money and bragging about hiding yourselves and sleeping on the job. I wish I made half as much as you and was given a chance to pay for some sort of healthcare.
Your right, I have heard them as well. You may get your chance if they continue with their way of thinking.
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#35 Jul 23, 2012
offer the job at 12 bucks an hour and watch em line up at the gate. if ya dont like it, tough.
Lazy Salaried

Point Pleasant, WV

#36 Jul 24, 2012
If salaried got over 10% bonus in 2011 and generous 401(k) contributions, why does the hourly (real work force) get $1,000 increase with $4,800 loss in family healthcare benefits the first year of contract???

Perhaps they think the Union cannot do math. It's an absurd slap in the face of the working man to say the least!

Greed in corporate America is insane. They are setting productivity records and increasing income but want to take from those who most contributed to it.

Salaried need to work too (ALL of them)! I could list hundreds of examples of what they don't do to contribute but if allowed to continue, so be it. It sets a poor example at the very least.

Rick keep adding millions to the Company coffers and taking more from the REAL workers!!!
bacon hater

Marion, OH

#37 Jul 24, 2012
Paying for health insurance and the end of high salaries for uneducated and unskilled laborers is now the standard. Get used to it. The rest of the country did 30 years ago. The union no longer represents the only way to secure labor. It represents the reason why American companies move offshore and the drop in US productivity. The top global manufacturers learned this long ago. There is no Toyota union, no Dupont union. Their workers are educated, skilled and are compensated far more than those at Constellium. Century is not reopening. Its only a matter of time before Constellium moves on to a more competitive workforce.
NO MORE UNION

Baytown, TX

#38 Jul 24, 2012
You all will call them SCABS, but they are going to be your permanent replacements if they decide to keep the place open. Otherwise, it will become a tax write-off for company and they will move elsewhere.
Cindi

Hyattsville, MD

#39 Jul 24, 2012
Lazy Salaried wrote:
...Greed in corporate America is insane. They are setting productivity records and increasing income but want to take from those who most contributed to it.
Salaried need to work too (ALL of them)! I could list hundreds of examples of what they don't do to contribute but if allowed to continue, so be it. It sets a poor example at the very least.
Rick keep adding millions to the Company coffers and taking more from the REAL workers!!!
Beautiful. I couldn't possibly agree more and with good reason - seen it.
Strike Vote

Point Pleasant, WV

#40 Jul 25, 2012
I hear the Union Hall will take a vote today.

Good luck guys, corporate greed exists in America. Unfortunately, on the backs of the working poor!
Seriously

Ravenswood, WV

#41 Jul 25, 2012
Strike Vote wrote:
I hear the Union Hall will take a vote today.
Good luck guys, corporate greed exists in America. Unfortunately, on the backs of the working poor!
Luck will have nothing to do with it...IGNORANCE will determine this outcome!
Cindi

Hyattsville, MD

#42 Jul 25, 2012
Strike Vote wrote:
I hear the Union Hall will take a vote today. Good luck guys, corporate greed exists in America. Unfortunately, on the backs of the working poor!
Here's one more "good luck" going out to you men who work hard every day to support your families! Just know, there is support out here for you! We wish you well and HOPE for the best possbile outcome. You deserve your jobs, your pay, your health care benefits, and your retirements. They were promised to you and should NEVER be taken away for some-greedy-someone to line their pockets with gold! NEVER GIVE UP THE FIGHT!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Food increases could encourage home..... (Apr '08) Jul '16 Pendrii 2
News Drug sweep nets arrests in Jackson County (Sep '14) Mar '16 Annoymous 42
News Trail of blood leads police to body (Oct '10) Feb '16 Jesus is Lord 2
Oh (Feb '16) Feb '16 Wile c 1
News W.Va. plant provides metal for Orion spacecraft (Jan '15) Jan '16 YIM 12
News Site of last public hanging in West Virginia ma... (Dec '14) Jan '16 really? 20
News Advocates for dog-breeding regulations going co... (Jul '15) Jul '15 tired of bad service 1
More from around the web