Handgun license case may turn on priv...

Handgun license case may turn on privacy issue

There are 4 comments on the Medford Mail Tribune story from Dec 12, 2009, titled Handgun license case may turn on privacy issue. In it, Medford Mail Tribune reports that:

Whether sheriffs in Oregon's 36 counties must disclose the holders of concealed-handgun permits under the public-records law will hinge on a case that three Oregon Court of Appeals judges heard arguments on Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Medford Mail Tribune.

armedcitizen

Eugene, OR

#1 Dec 13, 2009
If the concealed handgun listing is allowed to be made public: criminals will now have a list of residences that have firearms that can now be targeted by the criminals to be stolen, and the element of surprise is taken away. Once criminals know you are armed they can then "get the drop on you" thus defeating your most powerful tool when you carry your handgun concealed which is the "element of surprise"!!!!!!!!!!
mikeb

Willamina, OR

#2 Dec 14, 2009
get real, no self respecting criminal would want to go near any one with a weapon, remember we know how to use them. part of the ciurse to get the permit..this comes from a lobbist for the police
GaiaGirl

Ashland, OR

#3 Dec 14, 2009
I totally agree. I carry a concealed weapon because in my profession I often have to travel to remote sites alone. If I had car trouble and was stuck out in the "boonies," I definitely want some way to protect myself if some questionable person appears at the side of my car. Also, in these unsettled times, we have been hearing about people getting beat up or robbed in the malls, in grocery store parking lots, and other public places. The police can't be everywhere and in the 5 to 10 minutes it might take them to respond to a 911 call, someone could be seriously injured or killed. An armed citizenry is important to all our personal freedoms, including the freedom to protect oneself or one's family if law enforcement isn't immediately available. I've had to draw my weapon just three times in my life and only pulled the trigger once to send a shot over the head of the potential attacker (he stopped advancing on me and ran away). The other two thought a gun in the hands of a woman was scary enough and they also ran away (one was caught and arrested for the rape and assault of another woman earlier that day).

No one knows I am walking around with a 9mm in my purse, and I've heard enough conversations to know that a lot of people would shy away from me if they knew I was armed, thinking I am potentially dangerous to them. The truth is that in a nasty scenario, I might be able to keep them from harm as well as myself. I grew up with guns and am very comfortable and competent with them and I don't advertise the fact that I carry one. I really don't want most people to know and I believe it is a private thing---and I CERTAINLY don't want a newspaper to know!
Charlie

Goldendale, WA

#4 Dec 15, 2009
My question is, just what does the editor of the mail tribune want/need this information for?

Asking for this equates to me asking the IRS for his tax return. Neither one of us should have access to that information.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Excavators demolish dam to boost salmon migration Sun PJofGrantsPass 1
News Medford man dies in rollover accident on Old St... (Jun '13) Aug '14 klh 3
News Fast-Growing Independent Party of Oregon Opens ... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Real Indepedent 1
News Jackson County, Oregon, Approves GMO Ban (May '14) May '14 Oregonbythesea 1
News Judge says flashing headlights is free speech (Apr '14) Apr '14 Tony Waters 1
News White City principal sits front and center (Nov '13) Nov '13 Joseph 1
News Will Oregon Protect Monsanto? (May '13) May '13 Maui 1
More from around the web