O.S. mayor's race already gearing up

Dec 2, 2007 | Posted by: The South Mississippi Sun Herald | Full story: The South Mississippi Sun Herald

“I have every intention of running for re-election.”

The Ocean Springs mayor's race is a year and a half away, but there are already potential candidates seriously considering running, some even testing the waters.

The mayor and three others have acknowledged it's on their minds. Most won't make their final decisions until about this time next year. The deadline to qualify is March 2009.

Why such interest in a city race so soon? One politician said Ocean Springs is attractive on several levels and the political climate leads candidates to believe they have a shot at the job. Read more

Comments
401 - 414 of 414 Comments Last updated Jun 27, 2010
First Prev
of 21
Next Last
Bayou Man

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#403
May 31, 2009
 
Coast resident wrote:
<quoted text> Just thought you should know Mr. Denham that I personally contacted your office six months ago about a personal injury and to date have not heard back from your office. It's no surprise to me that your a Moran supporter, birds of a feather flock together.
Shoulda told them you were rear-ended by a Lowes truck, bet they woulda beaten your door down.
jimmy

Moss Point, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#404
Jun 1, 2009
 
Earl Denham wrote:
I have been watching city politics here for many years from my ring side seat on Washington Avenue. I have been reading this blog for several months. I have regretted that the blog has become a portal for the anonymous to vent invective instead of a place where calm and useful discourse may be had about major events transpiring in our city. Anyone logging in to read it for the first time would have a dim view of the level of intelligence among our citizens and of the crude extremes to which many of the uninformed who write here are willing to go, writing things they would never dare utter if they were required to identify themselves. I say shame on them. I suspect several of the more obvious perpetrators would hardly be able to stand the scrutiny of an informed public into their own lives, and thus they write anonymously. Small, crude, petty, and vindictive they are, and in most cases I predict that if you really knew who they were to be pointing fingers at others, you would just laugh at them. And so that is how I have been dealing with it-laughing at the display, but also regretting that the public will have this impression of my beloved city for so long as this blog is up.
The fact is that to decide how to vote you need only look at where we are, how far we have come, and where the other cities are since Katrina. It is as simple as that. Look to see what each of the candidates has done for the city and vote their record, not by hollow political promises. Look at the projects in construction in this wonderful city and those on track for construction and then vote your thanks to those who envisioned and guided the effort which has made us the most recovered and beautiful city along the coast. Take a ride over to Biloxi and return, and look at the beauty of the gateway to your city. Ask yourself whose name will forever be linked to that structure. Why not honestly ask yourself if there are any persons in the race who have never done anything at all for the city, not a single thing except want a job? Think about it really hard before you condsider interrupting the positive mopmentum we all have going for us. This city is better off by far than at any previous time during the many years I have lived here, and we need to keep it going.
Earl Denham:
Your Wright from Biloxi to Ocean Springs there is a deference, but you’re getting of the path. Of the hurricane. You ride the beach line from Ocean Springs to fountainbleau there is not a lot of deference.
Earl Denham

Gulfport, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#405
Jun 1, 2009
 
Thank you, Gayle, an ad hominem argument is advanced by persons who cannot answer an argument and so resort to personally attacking the person advancing the argument. Good examples of this are posted by Coast Resident and Bayou man. Jimmy makes a good argument as to the amount of coastline, and I would answer him by reminding him that we got extensive damage well away from the shoreline. In fact, St. Alphonsus had over 5 feet of water in the KC Hall across the Street from my office, and this occurred all over the City, not just along the coastline. As for the responder who wants to attack the mayor using an anonymous name, I can only say that if you think that you can rightfully engage in character assasination and keep your identity private so others cannot consider the source of your invective, persons may rightfully assume that you have no credibility and are simply venting your personal dislike without answering any of the very real points advanced. Really, haven't we seen enough of this personal venting by people without the courage or morality to attach their names to their views? If you want to be taken seriously, come on out of the closet into the light. Let us see what good citizens you are.
Truthyness

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#406
Jun 1, 2009
 
Denham, Esq., I admire you for using your real name but as you are old you don't get internet forums, the first rule of the Internet is you NEVER use your real name. This doesn't mean you're a coward, it means you are smart.

"Ad hominem" (Latin) means: Appealing to personal prejudices rather than to reason, attacking an opponent's character rather than the opponent's assertions.(From Black's Law Dictionary; online).

I have lived here a long time too and the good ole boys days (you know who they are) were bad, and we still have that in some wards, but disliking a Mayor who does not conduct herself with dignity in public is not a character attack. She's an elected official, she serves the public and is responsible to us. It's not like we are attacking YOU for your personal life, that would be wrong.

Instead I'll attack you on your beliefs. I lost my house, but I drove the Coast after Katrina and OS was less trashed than any other city in three counties, including Pascagoula. If you are often at the courthouse there, you saw how bad it was in downtown 'Goula. Downtown OS wasn't even touched, NO got it worse than us, of course we are doing better, duh.

She's taking credit for us being spared the worst by God and nature, that's very wrong. I don't like what I see in City Hall & she's not even there much. I'm sick of festivals and a free pass for businesses at the expense of residents. Only a few people are getting rich, the others are struggling. The parking downtown is awful, and most of the stuff the aldermen do is favors for friends, see the forums on this website if you don't believe me. Yes, they are anonymous, otherwise those in power would use that power to silence us.
Coast resident

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#407
Jun 1, 2009
 
Earl Denham wrote:
Thank you, Gayle, an ad hominem argument is advanced by persons who cannot answer an argument and so resort to personally attacking the person advancing the argument. Good examples of this are posted by Coast Resident and Bayou man. Jimmy makes a good argument as to the amount of coastline, and I would answer him by reminding him that we got extensive damage well away from the shoreline. In fact, St. Alphonsus had over 5 feet of water in the KC Hall across the Street from my office, and this occurred all over the City, not just along the coastline. As for the responder who wants to attack the mayor using an anonymous name, I can only say that if you think that you can rightfully engage in character assasination and keep your identity private so others cannot consider the source of your invective, persons may rightfully assume that you have no credibility and are simply venting your personal dislike without answering any of the very real points advanced. Really, haven't we seen enough of this personal venting by people without the courage or morality to attach their names to their views? If you want to be taken seriously, come on out of the closet into the light. Let us see what good citizens you are.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to show what scumbags you and your firm are. If you want my name and number just check your records for unreturned calls!
In the Know

Berryville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#408
Jun 1, 2009
 
With regards to the post storm progress of Ocean Springs here is a little info.

Total dollars obligate to the City of Biloxi for damages resulting from Katrina $485 million

Total dollars obligated to the City of Ocean Springs for damages resulting from Katrina $8 million

Now I will admit that I am impressed at the repairs that OS has made but to compare their damages to those of Biloxi are a bit ridiculous.
Earl Denham

Gulfport, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#409
Jun 1, 2009
 
To Coast resident, whoever you really are, I admire your persistent cowardice. You really are a piece of work, entirely unable to address the issues. To In The Know, I never compared Biloxi to OS except to respond to Jimmy, who did. We need only look to the way things are in OS today as a result of the incumbent administration, and we don't have to compare ourselves to any other city. And to Truthyness I reply that I put in a great deal of computer time every day, so I wouldn't be so quick to make the assumptions you make just because at 61 I seem "old" to you. My partner and I had the first paperless, fully integrated computer system here in Ocean Springs long before anyone other law firm in Mississippi. Now as to your assertion that it is "smart" to defame someone else while hiding behind a fake identity, I disagree and with respect assert again that it is an act of cowardice to attack anonymously and is nothing more than gossip mongering of the worst order. After all, this is not some dating forum. If one is going to throw stones, one should have the courage to do it openly. I am surely sorry you don't like the festivals, and somehow I doubt you really feel that way. To me they are the breath of life for our community. I was so proud to see our little community become a beacon for residents of the more shattered communities around us on Friday and Saturday nights after Katrina. I am sure we all hope for the best tomorrow for our precious city. I just hope that the next four years will be as great and filled with accomplishment as the last four.
One vote one person

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#410
Jun 1, 2009
 
Well said Earl. I don't agree with you often, but you have summed it up quite well. Stick to your guns and I hope you prevail.
Truthyness

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#411
Jun 2, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Well, Earl, how do I know that's you?

Which corrupt Roman emperor said, as long as I give the people bread and circuses I can do whatever I want? That's our unrelenting festivals, bread and circuses to keep the people amused and out of the mayor's office. Isn't "festival" a Roman word?

You didn't address the most important reason to keep our identities off of the internet; reprisals from those in power. We both know a couple of aldermen who do stuff just for revenge, check out who got kicked off the voluntary committees for speaking up, I know at least two people who did and they are a loss to the city as both of them were honest and did not do favors for friends.

I looked up "defame" and it said "attack the good reputation of", but what if the person does not have a good reputation? What if the things on here, while shocking and rude, are true? How else would people know the truthyness? You are free to correct things said here that are defamatory, go right ahead.

See, there are lots of eyewitnesses to some of the incidents posted here, including some court appearances. Did you yourself witness any?
Earl Denham

Gulfport, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#412
Jun 2, 2009
 
You may or may not be someone I know, but it doesn't change the fact that great people discuss ideas, average people talk about things, and little people talk about people. If you would speak the truth, have the courage to stand in the light and do it, and if you do not have that courage, stop attacking persons behind your veil of anonymity. Surely you are a better person than that. That, Truthyness, is the difference between a truth teller and a common gossip. You can't be both. Who will issue reprisals against me for exercising my right of free speech as a citizen? I am not concerned in the least.I have the Truth on my side.
Coast resident

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#413
Jun 2, 2009
 
Earl Denham wrote:
You may or may not be someone I know, but it doesn't change the fact that great people discuss ideas, average people talk about things, and little people talk about people. If you would speak the truth, have the courage to stand in the light and do it, and if you do not have that courage, stop attacking persons behind your veil of anonymity. Surely you are a better person than that. That, Truthyness, is the difference between a truth teller and a common gossip. You can't be both. Who will issue reprisals against me for exercising my right of free speech as a citizen? I am not concerned in the least.I have the Truth on my side.
Wow thats quite a reply. I expected better from people who contributed money to John Edwards and Hillary! Now we know who the true morons in Ocean Springs are!
Earl Denham

Gulfport, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#414
Jun 2, 2009
 
Coast resident wrote:
<quoted text>Wow thats quite a reply. I expected better from people who contributed money to John Edwards and Hillary! Now we know who the true morons in Ocean Springs are!
I think we all expected it was you all along. What's your real name, Gutless?

Earl Denham
AAB

Columbus, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#415
Jun 26, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Jonesy wrote:
Scott Walker!!!! He knows what Ocean Springs needs and he's not afraid to go after it. He may be young but maybe we need someone with his energy to take us into the future.
"He may be young but maybe we need someone with his energy to take us into the future." Same thing was said about Obama and, look what we ended up with! A young person being in a political position is the last thing we need. The younger they are, the more arrogant and, clueless they are.
Walter J Murphsky

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#416
Jun 27, 2010
 
Why are the biggest contributors to Democrat candidates the people who work the lest for their money? I mean, come on, actors, singers and ambulance chasing lawyers? How are these dolts the ones who should shape the fabric of our political future.
The only sweat these fools produce is when they try to slam down a few more before last call.
"One call that's all." "For justice." ...
What all these ambulance chasers are after one thing, your money. You hire these clowns and get a $1mil settlement and when you get "yours" it's $25k - the rest is sucked up in fees. It's no wonder lawyers live to be 400 years old, they die when their billing finally catches up with them.
Bottom feeders.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••