Hearing date set in rape-murder

Hearing date set in rape-murder

There are 61 comments on the The South Mississippi Sun Herald story from Dec 13, 2007, titled Hearing date set in rape-murder. In it, The South Mississippi Sun Herald reports that:

A Jan. 16 court hearing has been set to determine whether to grant a request to move the trial of a man accused in the 2004 rape and murder of his stepdaughter.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The South Mississippi Sun Herald.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
dwayne

Dundee, NY

#1 Dec 25, 2007
ok look, i know mr downing very well, i was married to his cousin, and tho i find it very hard to believe he commited this terrible crime, i think if he did it he gets whatever he deserves, but id also like to add that the police should really keep looking into mr downings wife rose, tho its an unbearable thought that a mother could hurt her own child but this lady is a true lunatic and i personally can see her comitting this crime before mr downing would, the palmprint is pretty obvious incriminating evidence you would have to know him to know he was an alcoholic and was prolly more of an accomplice in moving her body rather than comitting this gruesome act
Turd Ferguson

Rio Rancho, NM

#2 Dec 26, 2007
Then why did he run???

Why did he evade police. Why did he change his story.

He knows something he is not telling. Something stinks to high heaven. The truth is close, but its just out of sight.

I miss her ever day. I knew Robyn very well. Something was going on. I regret every day not pressing her when she was still alive to find out what was causeing her to be so unhappy towards the end. I will never forget or rest easy till truth is found for her.
Rose Downing

Sioux City, IA

#3 Jan 4, 2008
dwayne wrote:
ok look, i know mr downing very well, i was married to his cousin, and tho i find it very hard to believe he commited this terrible crime, i think if he did it he gets whatever he deserves, but id also like to add that the police should really keep looking into mr downings wife rose, tho its an unbearable thought that a mother could hurt her own child but this lady is a true lunatic and i personally can see her comitting this crime before mr downing would, the palmprint is pretty obvious incriminating evidence you would have to know him to know he was an alcoholic and was prolly more of an accomplice in moving her body rather than comitting this gruesome act
Dwayne you are a scumbag.You certainly have no bisness judging anyone elese since you are a child moleseter.
Amy

Roanoke, VA

#4 Jan 13, 2008
I would like to point out that it is nobody's business to judge anyone else regardless of whether or not they are a child molester. I'm not even sure why that statement is relevant to this conversation or how that even addresses the accusations.

I think it will be huge travesty of justice if Sean is forced to spend his life in prison for a crime he did not commit. I have known Sean longer than anyone else who has posted thus far and I find it extremely difficult to believe that he could murder a 15 y/o girl. Was he a saint? Absolutely not. Was he easily manipulated? Yes. And I think that is the crux of the matter. Someone has made him a scapegoat and I am sure that person knows who s/he is.

I don't know what happened on that day when poor Robyn lost her life. It is tragic. It is even more tragic that whomever was ultimately responsible will never have to pay in this life. However, that person has to live with what s/he has done. And that person will be judged by the One who knows. In the mean time, I will do my part to support Sean as best I can and let him know that someone cares.
happy in os

Weaver, AL

#5 Jan 15, 2008
so how do you people feel now? Its all over the local news! Sean Downing convicted of the murder; I was hoping more would come out and other people would be charged along with him. oh well -- justice has been served.
Dave

Roanoke, VA

#6 Jan 15, 2008
happy in os wrote:
so how do you people feel now? Its all over the local news! Sean Downing convicted of the murder; I was hoping more would come out and other people would be charged along with him. oh well -- justice has been served.
Justice has NOT been served, and now it never will. My brother did not kill Robyn. The state had three years to go after who really did this, and they never did, why make the effort when they already had their man? I'm sure you folks will rest easy now that you think a "killer" is locked away for life, when in fact the real killer is still walking among you. But that person will be judged one day, and will face a punishment far worse than life in prison.
Turd Ferguson

Anniston, AL

#7 Jan 15, 2008
Con-fes-ion

Why did he spit one out if he didn't do it?

I think life is good for him. Hope they make him feel welcome. I think its a shame that he got a deal and they droped the molestation charges. But I suppose one way or the other hes going away.

If you guys have more info or you know the real story where have you been the past 3 years?

He did this. Hes gona pay. If he didnt act alone, they will pay.

Turd
Amy

Roanoke, VA

#8 Jan 15, 2008
Oh please, don't be so melodramatic. Of course we don't know the "real" story, that's kind of the point, don't you think? And now no one will know the real story. Sean just looked too good for this for anyone to dig deeper. He confessed due to a lack of options. Life in prison is certainly better than the dealth penalty. Yep, he got exactly what an accomplice deserves--life in prison while the actual murderer gets to run free. Justice is served.

BTW, it's con-fes-sion. Just so you know.
Rose Downing

Sioux City, IA

#9 Jan 15, 2008
Sean confessed in open court that he beat Robyn to dealth with a lead pipe. He strangled her to dealth and raped her. He used crack cocaine and alcohol as an excuse. Yes,he did it Dave,whether you want to believe it or not . He stood up in court and applogized and said he wished he could take it back. He was the only one home with her. As his wife I wish to God anyone had done it but him.
Amy

Roanoke, VA

#10 Jan 15, 2008
Rose, please know that our desire to believe that Sean is not guilty in no way detracts from the heinousness of what happened to your daughter. It was appalling and I cannot imagine what you must have had to live through. I apologize if I came across as uncaring. The MOST important fact here is that a little girl died tragically. My thoughts are prayers are certainly with your family. Our love for Sean makes it impossible to not support him. I wish the best for you and everyone who loved Robyn.
Rose Downing

Sioux City, IA

#11 Jan 15, 2008
Amy wrote:
Rose, please know that our desire to believe that Sean is not guilty in no way detracts from the heinousness of what happened to your daughter. It was appalling and I cannot imagine what you must have had to live through. I apologize if I came across as uncaring. The MOST important fact here is that a little girl died tragically. My thoughts are prayers are certainly with your family. Our love for Sean makes it impossible to not support him. I wish the best for you and everyone who loved Robyn.
Amy who r u ? No matter how much you "love" Sean he killed Robyn and admitted it. I loved him too and trusted him. Papa understands he did it, why can't you? He and Sandra were in the courtroom.and heard him confess. I have been in Sean's life for the past 6 years . Where have you people been? I think I know him a little better yhan you do, but I never dreamed he'd do something this horrible. Robyn hated him for stealing from us . The day he left he stole all the money out of my purse. the car and ran to n.o. to party .He has no concience.
Dave

Roanoke, VA

#12 Jan 16, 2008
Amy is my wife, and has known Sean for 18 years. You think that because Papa and Aunt Sandy heard him confess in court that they believe it? They don't, not for a second. When your only choices are to plead not guilty and face the death penalty, or to plead guilty and get life in prison, there's not much of a choice. Nothing I say here is going to change anything, so all I can do is continue to love Sean and be there for him.
Mike

Taylors, SC

#13 Jan 16, 2008
I guess when you are stuck with a public defender in south mississippi you have to take what you can get. Imagine being accused with piss-poor representation. I still wonder what really happened. Rose, we have met. You have always been a terrible influence on Sean. Even from the very begining.
A Local Mom

Biloxi, MS

#14 Jan 16, 2008
You people have no shame do you? This woman lost her baby in the most violent way possible and you people are going to tell her how horrible she is?!? I'm amazed that people can still be so cold? Has everyone forgotten that this is about Robyn NOT SEAN!!! That baby is gone and never coming back and ya'll are going to attack Rose?!?
You people make me sick!! Leave her alone and let her start getting some closure. And shame on you for trying to take that from her! I don't care how much anyone "loves" Sean! Its about Robyn and every one seems to have forgotten that.
Rose Downing

Sioux City, IA

#15 Jan 16, 2008
Mike wrote:
I guess when you are stuck with a public defender in south mississippi you have to take what you can get. Imagine being accused with piss-poor representation. I still wonder what really happened. Rose, we have met. You have always been a terrible influence on Sean. Even from the very begining.
If by being a bad influence you mean trying to get him off drugs and alcohol... he was just out of prison for grand larsony when I met him. He told me he wanted to change. He lied. We went to AA,councellors. If you uys care so much abouy him why haven't you been in his life for years? And Papa did tell me he knew he did it and was very sorry. Sean could have had a trial but chose to confess to avoid the dealth penalty. Robyn's father and I had to agree to accept the plea or there would have been a trial. Sean had peep holes in the bathroom and Robyn's door to look at her. He almost took the door off the henges to burst into her room to rape and murder her in her own room. She had told her brother she was afraid of him and that Sean had threathened her ,but I didn't know it at the time. I had always told Robyn that she was safe in her own house,I was wrong. The more she developed ,the more he wanted her. Don't defile her memory by defending him. He did the right thing and confessed buy you can't seem to do the right thing and admit your drunken mother raised a child raper and child murderer, Sean told me she was drunk the day she delivered him. He's probubly an alcohol fetal sendron baby. And if you are so concerned about his defence why didn't YOU hire a lawyer? I found Robyn's Bloody Naked body wrapped in her favorite plaid blanket. She had a bloody rag wrapped around her bottom. I can't believe this soul less bastard who should have been put to dealth finally confessed and you bastards now act like you give a damn about this monster you helped to create and let loose on the world. At lease now he can't hurt anyone else. How dare you spread your hateful venom. Shame on you!
curious in town

Weaver, AL

#16 Jan 16, 2008
what a cop out! The coward fessed up to get out of the death penalty. Rose, why did you want to avoid a trial? Where were you when she was murdered? Why did you not find the body until Sunday morning (yes, I read the papers when it happened). If he was a such a soul less bastard and you knew all of this about him, why did you marry him and bring him into your house?

sounds a little fishy to me!
Rose Downing

Sioux City, IA

#17 Jan 16, 2008
You misrable pile of shit. The only thing fishy is you. If you can read then you know I was at work and its a miracle I found her at all,what's your name '"fishy" or should I say "spineless"?
curious in town

Weaver, AL

#19 Jan 18, 2008
well Rose, you may call me "fishy" or "spineless" whichever you choose. Makes no difference to me. So you were at work; did you not notice the blood when you walked in? I don't think it was luck that you found her. Anyway, I'm not going to get into a name calling session with you and that's where all of your comments see to go. Yes, I can read and I can spell; maybe you should spend your idle time learning both!

have a great life!
Rose Downing

Sioux City, IA

#20 Jan 18, 2008
There was no visable blood when I walked in you heartless bitch. You seem to knoe alot about the case. Did you have something to do with my daughter's murder?! Who are you?I love my daughter very much and we were very close. I hope no one has to experience the horrible pain of loosing a child in such a way. I also loved my husband and never dreamed he was capable of such a thing. I will miss Robyn every day and greave for her until God reunites us in heaven. My words are harsh because I am in so much pain.
traveler

San Antonio, TX

#21 Jan 20, 2008
I've been friends with robyn since we were in first grade. Towards the end, we weren't "best friends" but were still really close. I don't honestly don't think that Rose had anything to do with it, regardless of what Sean's family thinks.
Robyn was pretty happy until Sean came into the picture, so what does that tell you people?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mississippi Choctaws give details on $375M coas... (Oct '06) Apr 11 Cherie 98
Wake up dum num Jan '17 Skale it 1
News Will this Mississippi murder be the first feder... (Sep '16) Sep '16 TerriB1 1
News Deputy: Transgender woman stabbed 119 times (Sep '16) Sep '16 Sneaky Pete 1
News Vancleave's Alec Lara arrested in connection to... (May '13) Jul '16 Alec Lara 5
News Texan arrested in Jackson County accused of smu... (May '16) May '16 tomin cali 1
News Ex-senator set to plead guilty in Jackson Count... (Dec '15) Dec '15 OS DOG 2
More from around the web