Ruling expected Friday on East Beach ...

Ruling expected Friday on East Beach pathway in Ocean Springs

There are 6 comments on the The Mississippi Press story from Apr 23, 2010, titled Ruling expected Friday on East Beach pathway in Ocean Springs. In it, The Mississippi Press reports that:

A court ruling to decide who owns East Beach in Ocean Springs -- waterfront property owners or taxpayers -- is expected Friday or Monday, according to Mayor Connie Moran.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Mississippi Press.

Ocean Springs, MS

#1 Apr 23, 2010
The beach belongs to the people .I have friends here in o.s. the live across the street from a public park they have no say on what happens there!!!!!!

Lewiston, ID

#2 Apr 23, 2010
In protest of the court's decision I am going to dump my garbage on East Beach tonight.

Meridian, ID

#3 Apr 24, 2010
How does a Hinds County judge have jurisdiction on the the coast?

Ocean Springs, MS

#4 Apr 26, 2010
I kind of hope that someone will jump in here and help me explain this,(see other thread), but Delbert the Secc'y of State's office is in Hinds County and Delbert is the one who gave permission so Connie could have another mess like Front Beach, did anyone see it Saturday? What an awful mess, it would have taken at least 20 guys to clean it up for the landing Sunday.

That beach is zoned public but is privately owned, just like in Destin. The owners there have never denied anyone access to the beach. They just don't want a big ugly concrete and standing water mess. The city is putting it about that they will deny us access, but I know some of those people and that is just not true.

It is shameful that the city has to lie to get support for the money it will pay lawyers to fight for their sidewalk, 6 and a half feet of concrete. What I don't get is that Front Beach is not any safer. If it was me I would have widened the road so you wouldn't get hit taking your kids out of the car. You have plenty of places to walk on concrete, walk the bridge or all the tracks in town. I like the sand on East Beach, leave it alone. You can still walk there, on sand.

Hector, if they catch you, you will pay, like, a $1000 fine and I hope they do. Jax county owns a lot of that beach (where the private owners don't, not the city) and they clean up where they own, and they will bust you on behalf of us, we don't want your garbage where we walk.

Meridian, ID

#5 Apr 26, 2010
While at the end of the day I don't really care one way or the other if you get the sidewalk or not I am a little bothered that a judge 300 miles away has such sway over our local political decisions.

Here's hoping the local judges nullifies that judges ruling and gives a ruling to whichever party.

I haven't been on East Beach in years so good luck to whoever.
Fat Mama

Ocean Springs, MS

#6 Apr 27, 2010
What bothers me is that the Secretary of State can give the city the land, when it's not owned by either the state or the city.

If I get this right, he gets the land that's at the waterline and beyond. Commercial businesses have to pay money to use it, but how come some businesses in OS (you can guess) don't pay the rent and some do?

So for some people he claims it and for some people he lets it go? What's up with that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lake George plan submitted for federal, state p... Sep 22 Frank Leach 1
Mississippi Senate district 51 (Mar '15) Mar '15 Butch Loper 1
News No ruling on motion to recuse Chancery Court Ju... (Feb '15) Feb '15 debra heumphreus 1
News Singing River Health employees ask for Jackson ... (Nov '14) Feb '15 Taxpayer Too 6
Ryan Nelson (Jan '15) Jan '15 Just wondering 1
News SRHS retirees, employees band together to get l... (Dec '14) Dec '14 just me 2
News Small employee raises included in Ocean Springs... (Sep '14) Sep '14 gulf 5
More from around the web