No Same-Sex Benefits

No Same-Sex Benefits

There are 42 comments on the The Associated Press story from Feb 2, 2007, titled No Same-Sex Benefits . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

Michigan's ban on gay marriage also blocks public universities and state and local governments from providing health insurance benefits to the partners of gay workers, the state Court of Appeals ruled Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
jmpace

New York, NY

#1 Feb 2, 2007
they should all, every gay person in the state, leave. It would be felt deeply. Michigan would lose, teachers, doctors, lawyers, police, health care workers, business owners. Gay people are everywhere and straight people like this Michigan court don't deserve the benefits gay people give them, or the tax dollars.

the judges are out of touch and foolish and inhumane and abusing their position as judges. they are just people, and I'm sure one of them, when dying will be cared for in the hospital by a gay nurse, or aid or doctor, and whoever that person is should deny them care. that's what they have done with this reading of the law.

gay rights can't be stopped. the genie is out of the bottle. we'll just wait for these old farts to die. younger people don't feel the same way about marriage or homosexuality and it will all change in time. and the judges will be remembered, not for being good judges, but for being neanderthals in the treatment of good and worth citizens of their state.

but i think the real bottom line is,,, it's MICHIGAN, famous for nothing and contributing less to culture and life than you would expect, except it's michigan. Why would any self-respecting gay person want to live in Michigan. That's like commiting social suicide a day at a time and taking your whole life to do it. Yech, Michigan. Never been. Won't ever go. Even the terrorists aren't interested in it.
kbsurfer

Hacienda Heights, CA

#2 Feb 2, 2007
Our courts are becoming ridiculous puppets for misguided Americans who do not even deserve to be called Americans due to their lack of knowledge of America's Constitution or Bill of Rights. The entire gay marriage debacle has flushed out how many of our judges are unfit to interpret either document just as certainly as AIDS exposed a fraction of how many gay people there are. Likewise, it has also exposed just how few people understand what marriage is legally about (the moral reasons are clearly, and legally, left up to the individual). There is no state in this Union that requires any marriage to produce children in order to be valid. Not one. Therefore there is no legally valid reason to restrict marriage and all of its legally binding obligations and rights to only a male and female American citizen. There is no religious marriage ceremony that is valid without a civil certificate of recognition, regarldess of any additional personally recognized religious requirements, which is a clear indication that equal rights, according to the Bill of Rights, is always to be pre-eminent over any personal religious particulars. As Americans we are endowed with the right to express and practice our religion, but nowhere is the right given to anyone,expressly or implied, individually or collectively, with the right to enforce any religion or any of it's precepts on any other citizen of this country.
Every time I hear of a judge who even allows this sort of issue to clog up the system is a reminder of the blatant, horrible betrayal of this country perpertrated by those who are meant to protect it.
daveMI

Royal Oak, MI

#3 Feb 3, 2007
If the religous right is so concerned about the "sanctity of marriage" why don't they change the existing divorce laws to make it more difficult to get a divorce? That would do more to save marriages than restricting people who WANT to get married from doing so.
NY Lawyer

Jackson Heights, NY

#4 Feb 3, 2007
What the court here seems to have done is to take a very literal view of the actual language of the amendment.From what the press has reported it seems like this lawsuit did not challenge the constitutionality of the Michigan amendment under the US Constitution. The unfortunate result seems a direct consequence of the intention of the drafter of the amendment. Perhaps the Michigan Supreme Court will reverse but even if it doesn't, the constitutionality may still be open to question in a later suit by which time, let us hope, a Democratic President will have the opportunity to appoint a Supreme Court Justice.
Darren

Phoenix, AZ

#5 Feb 3, 2007
kbsurfer wrote:
Our courts are becoming ridiculous puppets for misguided Americans who do not even deserve to be called Americans due to their lack of knowledge of America's Constitution or Bill of Rights. The entire gay marriage debacle has flushed out how many of our judges are unfit to interpret either document just as certainly as AIDS exposed a fraction of how many gay people there are. Likewise, it has also exposed just how few people understand what marriage is legally about (the moral reasons are clearly, and legally, left up to the individual). There is no state in this Union that requires any marriage to produce children in order to be valid. Not one. Therefore there is no legally valid reason to restrict marriage and all of its legally binding obligations and rights to only a male and female American citizen. There is no religious marriage ceremony that is valid without a civil certificate of recognition, regarldess of any additional personally recognized religious requirements, which is a clear indication that equal rights, according to the Bill of Rights, is always to be pre-eminent over any personal religious particulars. As Americans we are endowed with the right to express and practice our religion, but nowhere is the right given to anyone,expressly or implied, individually or collectively, with the right to enforce any religion or any of it's precepts on any other citizen of this country.
Every time I hear of a judge who even allows this sort of issue to clog up the system is a reminder of the blatant, horrible betrayal of this country perpertrated by those who are meant to protect it.
Wrong. Marriage was created at the beginning of time in the Garden of Eden. ONE man and ONE Woman. Marriage is not what people think it is. Rather, it is what what God created it to be. Homosexuals and lesbians cannot procreate. That means it is NOT natural. Marriage was created by God for the purpose of procreation, love, companionship and family. This is true wheather you believe it or not.

The sun rises and sets wheather you believe it or not.

The earth revolves around the sun wheather you believe it or not.
Fire burns wheather you believe it or not.

Hell is real wheather you believe it or not.

There is a God wheather you believe it or not.

What you believe has no bearing on reality.

The homo lifestyle should never ever be permitted to marry. NEVER. I dont care what anyone thinks.

If you look at the female anatomy and compare it to the male anatomy, you know the two were meant to go together. Procreation can only exist between male and female wheather in the animal kingdom, humans, plants, bacteria, protozoa, etc. Get a clue.

Since: Feb 07

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Feb 3, 2007
daveMI wrote:
If the religous right is so concerned about the "sanctity of marriage" why don't they change the existing divorce laws to make it more difficult to get a divorce? That would do more to save marriages than restricting people who WANT to get married from doing so.
Yes! "Physician heal thyself"!
Payattention

United States

#7 Feb 3, 2007
Not in America nimrod. In America, marriage is a legal contract, not your religious fantasy.

Also, homosexuals can procreat, our parts work fine. Why is it you think we are sterile?

Grow up and keep your religion in church, not in my home, we do not want it there.
Darren wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Marriage was created at the beginning of time in the Garden of Eden. ONE man and ONE Woman. Marriage is not what people think it is. Rather, it is what what God created it to be. Homosexuals and lesbians cannot procreate. That means it is NOT natural. Marriage was created by God for the purpose of procreation, love, companionship and family. This is true wheather you believe it or not.
The homo lifestyle should never ever be permitted to marry. NEVER. I dont care what anyone thinks.
If you look at the female anatomy and compare it to the male anatomy, you know the two were meant to go together. Procreation can only exist between male and female wheather in the animal kingdom, humans, plants, bacteria, protozoa, etc. Get a clue.

“Married 6/17/08”

Since: Feb 07

Porterville, CA

#8 Feb 3, 2007
What our governmental officers need to remember is that when they take their oath of office, They place their hand on the Bible (or other book of faith) and swear to uphold the Constit, they DO NOT place their hand on the Constit and swear to uphold the Bible (or other book of faith).
Thank God religion does not rule in the US, just look how well that works in places like Iran, Iraq and others.
Darren wrote:
<quoted text>
Darren

Phoenix, AZ

#9 Feb 3, 2007
Payattention wrote:
Not in America nimrod. In America, marriage is a legal contract, not your religious fantasy.
Also, homosexuals can procreat, our parts work fine. Why is it you think we are sterile?
Grow up and keep your religion in church, not in my home, we do not want it there.<quoted text>
The institution of marriage IS a religious sacrement, wheather you like it or not! Period. Despite what you believe, it was not created by society, nor as a social convienience. It was created by God in the Genesis of mankind for reasons I mentioned earlier. I can tell you get irascible by just hearing the word religion. You dont like the truth and you dont want to hear it.
It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. Animals don't even have sexual relations with their own sex. Good grief.

Gays can procreate? Since when can a man and a man having a sexual union reproduce a child? Idiot. Take a biology class!! Try reading Leviticus chapter 18, especially verse 22!

Oh yes, and America was founded as a religious society wheather you like or not. I am NOT going to give a long history lesson for lack of time. But I encourage you to study the history of our great country. Many of our founding fathers were practicing Christians. Read a book and look it up. It will give you a much needed history lesson. God Bless America. In GOD we trust. E Pluribus Unum.

Since: Jan 07

Pittsburgh, PA

#10 Feb 3, 2007
Adam and Steve are such nice young respectful people. They don't hurt nobody. They just get up and go to work everyday and do their jobs.

At the end of the pay period, they each look at their checks and Steve says, "WTF? Look at how much taxes they've taken from us!!"

Poor Adam replies," Yeah, I know, all this tazation and yet we can't even get married!"

And so goes it all across the land. When will the bigotry stop?
Payattention

United States

#11 Feb 4, 2007
One more time nimrod. It is a contract between two people according to the US government and all state governments. Your religious ceremonie is not required for this contract to be valid. I have a marriage certificate from my Christian church, but that doesn't make it valid in the US or my state. See how that works?

Now, take you religious fantasy of what you think marriage means to everyone just because it means that to you, and stick where the sun don't shine. I don't care one bit about your marriage. It doesn't affect me in the slightest. Mine does not affect you either.

Learn a bit about history. The bible, as much as you believe in it, is not the history of the world. The world was here long before the bible. Marriage was here long before the bible, otherwise it would not have been included in the bible.

I am a Christian, and I can tell you are not just by your words. They will know we are christians by our love, not our hatred and blind ignorance.

Homosexuality is distinclty found in at least 450 species of animals, learn a little science as well. Do you think you do your version of god proud by completely not using the brain he gave you?

My church, in which I was married, was attended by many of the founding fathers you mention who were Christian. I do read the bible, you seem to only glance at it and make the rest up, or have it filled in by some misguided person claiming as you do here to be christian. I see no evidence of that.

Now why don't you leave this discussion to the adults here? Your mommy will be needing you for something else I am sure. Or maybe you could focus on learning about the world around you.
Darren wrote:
<quoted text>
The institution of marriage IS a religious sacrement, wheather you like it or not! Period. Despite what you believe, it was not created by society, nor as a social convienience. It was created by God in the Genesis of mankind for reasons I mentioned earlier. I can tell you get irascible by just hearing the word religion. You dont like the truth and you dont want to hear it.
It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. Animals don't even have sexual relations with their own sex. Good grief.
Gays can procreate? Since when can a man and a man having a sexual union reproduce a child? Idiot. Take a biology class!! Try reading Leviticus chapter 18, especially verse 22!
Oh yes, and America was founded as a religious society wheather you like or not. I am NOT going to give a long history lesson for lack of time. But I encourage you to study the history of our great country. Many of our founding fathers were practicing Christians. Read a book and look it up. It will give you a much needed history lesson. God Bless America. In GOD we trust. E Pluribus Unum.
Payattention

United States

#12 Feb 4, 2007
Oh, and one more thing Darren, yes gays can procreate. I have a child that is my birth child. See, I have already proven you wrong on this. We can and do procreate and raise our children. We also adopt children that you heterosexuals discard because you have no desire to raise your own offspring. I have two adopted children as well. Our parts work fine, not to create a baby between us, but that is not now, nor has it ever been a requirement of marriage.

And you read the rest of Leviticus, follow these laws exactly, and you too will be allowed to enter the Holy Israel over 2000 years ago, as the beginning of Leviticus declares. If you have no interest in entering the Holy Isreal and becoming Jewish, you have no need to follow these laws. Leviticus is very clear on this. See how reading the bible can help you? Try it sometime. Since this is about marriage and benefits in the US, I will work on the laws here, but you go ahead and work with laws for Jewish men to enter into the holy Isreal over 2000 years ago if you like. Remember no shrimp or cheesburgers and only pure cotton or pure wool clothes. Otherwise you cannot become a member of the Jewish faith.
Darren

Phoenix, AZ

#13 Feb 4, 2007
Payattention wrote:
One more time nimrod. It is a contract between two people according to the US government and all state governments. Your religious ceremonie is not required for this contract to be valid. I have a marriage certificate from my Christian church, but that doesn't make it valid in the US or my state. See how that works?
Now, take you religious fantasy of what you think marriage means to everyone just because it means that to you, and stick where the sun don't shine. I don't care one bit about your marriage. It doesn't affect me in the slightest. Mine does not affect you either.
Learn a bit about history. The bible, as much as you believe in it, is not the history of the world. The world was here long before the bible. Marriage was here long before the bible, otherwise it would not have been included in the bible.
I am a Christian, and I can tell you are not just by your words. They will know we are christians by our love, not our hatred and blind ignorance.
Homosexuality is distinclty found in at least 450 species of animals, learn a little science as well. Do you think you do your version of god proud by completely not using the brain he gave you?
My church, in which I was married, was attended by many of the founding fathers you mention who were Christian. I do read the bible, you seem to only glance at it and make the rest up, or have it filled in by some misguided person claiming as you do here to be christian. I see no evidence of that.
Now why don't you leave this discussion to the adults here? Your mommy will be needing you for something else I am sure. Or maybe you could focus on learning about the world around you.
<quoted text>
WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET IT IDIOT? A homo marriage is not what marriage is meant to be. Read the scriptures!! What part of "thou shalt not" do you not understand? Do you know how to read? You sure like to insult and condescend anybody who disagress with you. In fact most of America disagrees with you. Poll after poll after poll shows that most Americans do NOT want gay marriage legal! Period. Because we are a traditional society. If you want to live in a secular-progressive society than go live in Europe!!!
Christian? Ha Ha Ha HA HA! Anybody can call themselves a Christian. You cannot call yourself a Christian and be gay. Period. Try reading Leviticus 18:22. The Bible calls it a perversion. Soddom and Gammorrah were destroyed in Genesis because of sexual immorality largely, including the homo lifestyle. The New Testament over and over addresses sexual immorality and its consequences. Read it!
Stop taking what you want from scripture and leaving the rest. This isn't a salad bar. The scriptures do not change and are crystal clear on the issue of sexual immorality. Period. Perido. Period.
Homosexualality in 450 species in the animal kingdom? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. Dont know what biology class you took. I like the way you pull out any figure you want. You can rationalize the immoral lifestyle all you want, but it is still a perversion and abomination. I dont know what Bible your reading.
My version of God? He is who he is wheather you accept it or not. You have what the scrptures call "itchy" ears.
I think YOU are the one who needs to take a science class. Male on male CANNOT procreate and NEVER have been able to. I studied biology for 4 years in college, son. NEVER has the same sex been able to procreate. You can minipulate all the facts you want too.
Is this all you can come up with? Gimme a break.
And I noticed your from Illinois? The Bears and their fans need to get over themselves 'cuz the Colts are going to be victorious.

Pittsburgh, PA

#14 Feb 4, 2007
Darren wrote:
<quoted text>
WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET IT IDIOT? A homo marriage is not what marriage is meant to be. Read the scriptures!! What part of "thou shalt not" do you not understand? Do you know how to read? You sure like to insult and condescend anybody who disagress with you. In fact most of America disagrees with you. Poll after poll after poll shows that most Americans do NOT want gay marriage legal! Period. Because we are a traditional society. If you want to live in a secular-progressive society than go live in Europe!!!
Christian? Ha Ha Ha HA HA! Anybody can call themselves a Christian. You cannot call yourself a Christian and be gay. Period. Try reading Leviticus 18:22. The Bible calls it a perversion. Soddom and Gammorrah were destroyed in Genesis because of sexual immorality largely, including the homo lifestyle. The New Testament over and over addresses sexual immorality and its consequences. Read it!
Stop taking what you want from scripture and leaving the rest. This isn't a salad bar. The scriptures do not change and are crystal clear on the issue of sexual immorality. Period. Perido. Period.
Homosexualality in 450 species in the animal kingdom? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. Dont know what biology class you took. I like the way you pull out any figure you want. You can rationalize the immoral lifestyle all you want, but it is still a perversion and abomination. I dont know what Bible your reading.
My version of God? He is who he is wheather you accept it or not. You have what the scrptures call "itchy" ears.
I think YOU are the one who needs to take a science class. Male on male CANNOT procreate and NEVER have been able to. I studied biology for 4 years in college, son. NEVER has the same sex been able to procreate. You can minipulate all the facts you want too.

And I noticed your from Illinois? The Bears and their fans need to get over themselves 'cuz the Colts are going to be victorious.

Let's get a volunteer homosexual male and see if someone would be willing to make your wife pregant. Would this satisfy your theory about how homesexuals can't procreate?
lynn

Whitmore Lake, MI

#15 Feb 4, 2007
Darren wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor, poor Darren. Such a sad pitiful being. So childish. Oh, that's right. You changed the subject to football.
lynn

Whitmore Lake, MI

#16 Feb 4, 2007
Too many people try to hide their hatefulness behind their "religion." You open your mouth and the evil spills out.
linda

Cincinnati, OH

#17 Feb 5, 2007
Fortunately Darren is not representative of all christians. He does however represent those in history that have denied, tortutured and killed others for not believing like him.
Payattention

United States

#18 Feb 5, 2007
Silly child, you do not determine who is Christian all by your little pea brained self. We all determine that for ourselves.

As for taking what I want from scripture, it is ok for you to do this, but not me? Wrong. You are the only one doing that here. So chastising me for doing this is foolish, since I have not done this.

Check the polls again, you are incorrect on them, but you don't care do you? You hate people you do not even know because they are different from you. Not very Christian of you is it? Or very American of you. Massechusettes has gay marriage, so why would I have to move to Europe in you sad little fantasy, I could just move there. But you aren't bright enough to know that.
Darren wrote:
<quoted text>
Payattention

United States

#19 Feb 5, 2007
Yes, poor Darren is a sad excuse for a human being. He could easily find any of the information I gave him with a quick internet search, but he decides in his own head that he and he alone knows what is correct for everyone else. It must be a lonely little world this sad soul lives in. I pity him more than anything.

Pittsburgh, PA

#20 Feb 5, 2007
If we don't leave food out, the animals will find someplace else to go.................

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ingham County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ingham County Arrest Mugshots and Criminal Records (Oct '16) Oct '16 Eric 2
News Crime Stoppers: 4 people wanted for felonies (Nov '15) Nov '15 Nhgfdyu 1
News Lawyer's rants against gay student not protecte... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Xstain Mullah Fri... 10
Skinny Minnie Home For Christmas (Jan '15) Jan '15 Amiga 1
News MSU Student Charged with Felony, Accused of Mak... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Pssdov 1
News Judge refuses to dismiss stand-your-ground case... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Terri 1
News Lansing teen whose body was found in river was ... (Dec '12) May '14 Sneaky Pete 13
More from around the web