4-year-old wanders outside, hit by truck

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Indian River County Sheriff's officials are investigating the circumstances surrounding how a 4-year-old girl apparently wandered outside her home early Tuesday and ran into a passing pickup truck, a sheriff's ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 51 Comments Last updated Oct 8, 2008
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Awesome Auger

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

i live near the swap shop. there are always infants and toddlers walking in the streets.
New attitude

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Have the police investigated where the parents were yet?! They should be charged with neglect. Hope the child is going to be fine.
hillbilly

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

A girl can not run into a truck...the truck ran into her.
savesealsboycott canadacfd

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

this is something that totally could have been avoided. i myself have a 4 year old and when we all go to sleep at night i have locks way up high on the doors that a 4 year old could not possibly get to. wake up parents!!!!!!!!!!
Parents wake up

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

It's called a hook and eye. Put it on your toddler's door (or your outside doors) at night. They cost under $1 and can save a life.
Keep your children safe!
Lady Di

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

It doesn't matter.. rednecks. blacks.. hispanics.. what matters is a four year old child wandered outside her house.. So maybe in that part of 'town' doors and windows do not need to be locked, etc. but a four year old should know how to find her parents at 7 a.m. Sometimes the parents are not to blame. Again, it shouldn't be a race issue.

“MANGLER”

Since: Dec 06

Atlanta, GA / Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Well I'm glad she's alive.
concerned one

Fort Pierce, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Lady Di wrote:
It doesn't matter.. rednecks. blacks.. hispanics.. what matters is a four year old child wandered outside her house.. So maybe in that part of 'town' doors and windows do not need to be locked, etc. but a four year old should know how to find her parents at 7 a.m. Sometimes the parents are not to blame. Again, it shouldn't be a race issue.
You must be new to South Florida!

“MANGLER”

Since: Dec 06

Atlanta, GA / Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Well, if the truck were parked, she could have run head first into it.

If the truck were passing by, she could have popped out from in between something taller than she was (like a parked car, tree, or doped out parent lying on a bench next to the road) and run into the side of it - thus being tossed aside rather than run over.
hillbilly wrote:
A girl can not run into a truck...the truck ran into her.
Bernice Fish

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

New attitude wrote:
Have the police investigated where the parents were yet?! They should be charged with neglect. Hope the child is going to be fine.
How ridiculous. I used to walk to school by myself when I was five, and before that I played outside without supervision. Of course, that was before there were motorized vehicles.
deme

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Redneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Blacks!
nope i know this area.. def red necks
magnum girl

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

when my kids were young, they were taught not to go out alone, and doors were secured. are her parents deaf, dumb, and blind? what is their excuse.exactly, where were they?

Since: Aug 07

South Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Well, where the Heck were her parents? How about if you have children you have the DOORS locked!! Jeez. this is not an accident it is neglect on the parents part. There is no reason for a child to be wandering the streets at 7am looking for her parents for God's sake!
shelia

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

not all parents stink. just many. you can always tell the child who runs the household. just because she wasnt supposed to go outside is exactly why she did. she knows that doing something wrong will get a rise out of her parents and eventually give her more power over them. i am so amazed at how many kids are in charge of their parents these days. all this new parenting is creating monsters, oh but we wouldnt want to psychologically damage these darlings so we let them run things here. enough of this garbage. time for parents to be parents and take charge.
Pete

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Where's Concerned (IQ of) One?
bubba

Homestead, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

MEXICANS !!!
Redneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Blacks!
Ody

Hialeah, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

concerned one wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be new to South Florida!
Now that was funny! LMAO
GetReal2

Key Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

it indeed should NOT be a race issue. It doesn't matter where you are from or what color you are, the issue at hand is the fact that the 4 yr old wandered outside. Who cares about anything else- this could happen anywhere, being irresponsible happens across racial lines. You don't need tow to Florida to know that.
Dan From Boston

Quincy, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

And why can't gay people ?
Dan From Boston

Quincy, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Any Why Can't Gay People Adopt ?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Indian River County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sebastian's Kaitlyn Hunt released from jail | P... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Juan 1
More than 140,000 sign online petition suportin... (May '13) Nov '13 Juan 10
Kaitlyn Hunt: Obsessed Lesbian Predator? (Aug '13) Oct '13 Juan 10
Kaitlyn Hunt: Back behind bars for her continue... (Aug '13) Sep '13 flbadcatowner 3
Florida gay teen rejects plea deal (May '13) Sep '13 Gremlin 52
Kaitlyn Hunt back in jail (Aug '13) Aug '13 Juan 1
Attorney for Kaitlyn Hunt criticizes prosecutor... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Juan 5

Search the Indian River County Forum:
•••