Florida gay teen rejects plea deal

May 24, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KCCI-TV Des Moines

Eighteen-year-old Kaitlyn Hunt, charged with a crime for having sex with a 14-year-old girl, rejected a deal Friday that would have required her to plead guilty to child abuse, according to Hunt's attorney.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of52
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Orem

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2013

Tatiana wrote:
18 v. 14. That's not right to me.
NorCal Native is all for it

Whoop Whoop

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2013

Judged:

Tatiana wrote:
18 v. 14. That's not right to me.
I agree. I think she should be prosecuted.

I also wonder if there is an unspoken racial aspect to this case.
BS Detector

La Puente, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I think she should be prosecuted.
I also wonder if there is an unspoken racial aspect to this case.
Prosecuted, yes. Somebody suggested community service instead of prison time. The idea has merit.

I'm not so sure about the racial aspect. I'd like to think not.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> Prosecuted, yes. Somebody suggested community service instead of prison time. The idea has merit.
I'm not so sure about the racial aspect. I'd like to think not.
The age thing bothers me, too. I don't see evidence that this is all about the genders of the teenagers involved.

As a high school teacher, it's not uncommon to see a few senior teen boys gravitate to the freshmen teen girls. Usually, it's 17 and 14, but if the older teen turns 18 before the younger teen, suddenly it's a crime? And a felony, to boot?

I know that our counselors and VPs try to let parents know if we see relationships forming that might be problematic (abusive, controlling, or potentially "illegal"). We hope that the family can resolve the matter. But things don't always work out the way parents wish.

Given these facts, especially since both teenagers go to the same school, I think that a felony prosecution is way overboard, regardless of the genders. This is at worst a misdemeanor, and the plea deal should drop any felony charge. Order the older teen to stay away from the younger teen until the younger teen turns at least 16.(Good luck keeping the younger teenager away if they genuinely like each other.) Community service would be appropriate, too.

These kind of prosecutions are ugly, and it's not uncommon for the parents to unwittingly push their obstinate teenager in the exact opposite direction they hope they'll go. Still, complaining parents don't get to set the punishment for other people's teenagers. The prosecutor and judge should use reason, compassion, and common sense in dealing with teenage romances.
Tatiana

New Britain, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

You should not be doing a 14- year old, whether you are 17 or 18. In this situation, I'm not sure a felony is appropriate, they were fellow students.
Orem

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Most Righteous Mayor wrote:
I don't think adult homosexuals should be having sex with children!!!
NorCal Native supports it and will defend queer sexual predators.
BS Detector

La Puente, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
The age thing bothers me, too. I don't see evidence that this is all about the genders of the teenagers involved.
As a high school teacher, it's not uncommon to see a few senior teen boys gravitate to the freshmen teen girls. Usually, it's 17 and 14, but if the older teen turns 18 before the younger teen, suddenly it's a crime? And a felony, to boot?
I know that our counselors and VPs try to let parents know if we see relationships forming that might be problematic (abusive, controlling, or potentially "illegal"). We hope that the family can resolve the matter. But things don't always work out the way parents wish.
Given these facts, especially since both teenagers go to the same school, I think that a felony prosecution is way overboard, regardless of the genders. This is at worst a misdemeanor, and the plea deal should drop any felony charge. Order the older teen to stay away from the younger teen until the younger teen turns at least 16.(Good luck keeping the younger teenager away if they genuinely like each other.) Community service would be appropriate, too.
These kind of prosecutions are ugly, and it's not uncommon for the parents to unwittingly push their obstinate teenager in the exact opposite direction they hope they'll go. Still, complaining parents don't get to set the punishment for other people's teenagers. The prosecutor and judge should use reason, compassion, and common sense in dealing with teenage romances.
I'd advocate keeping them apart until the minor is 17 because she's now 15 and the separation would be less than a year. Other than that, I really cannot find any real flaw in your argument.

Have you noticed that, absent the usual stupidity of the morons, some actual dialogue has happened on this issue?

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> I'd advocate keeping them apart until the minor is 17 because she's now 15 and the separation would be less than a year. Other than that, I really cannot find any real flaw in your argument.
Have you noticed that, absent the usual stupidity of the morons, some actual dialogue has happened on this issue?
Sounds fair. I only hope that the authorities in Florida, and those providing counsel to the teenagers and the families, are as amenable to reason. Actually, the plea offer isn't too far from what I've suggested, although it's still a felony. It would be nice if the adults on both sides would stop playing this in the media and provide the kind of guidance and maturity that the teenagers apparently need.
Gary Herndon

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Hold it people...Notice The Video you have seen is bogus,its a rehearsed story of events that are complete lies about the actual events of Kate Hunt & her Ex Girlfriend...

Lets make this short,The Mother of the would be teen GF of Kate Hunt said...A neighbor came to her with surprising news,the mother said the neighbor told her that she told Kate to stay away from the daughter...(Who gave this woman/man to be Legal Guardian?And the Mother said she learned from the neighbor that Kate & her daughter were having a relationship .. BOGUS ..when in fact it was the New York Times that ran a story on May 21st,2013,clearly stating this : The younger girl’s parents went to the police after learning from a coach, school employees and students that their daughter was having a relationship,according to a report from the Indian River County Sheriff’s office.The parents’information led to the investigation....."Where does it say anything about a Neighbor"? Now,I shot holes in the interview with ease..Of course I watched it 30 times,and the last 5 times I was rolling in my chair falling to the floor.You don't have to be a professor to tell when someone is lying. Ya'll have a Great Memorial Day!!

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Gary Herndon wrote:
Hold it people...Notice The Video you have seen is bogus,its a rehearsed story of events that are complete lies about the actual events of Kate Hunt & her Ex Girlfriend...
Lets make this short,The Mother of the would be teen GF of Kate Hunt said...A neighbor came to her with surprising news,the mother said the neighbor told her that she told Kate to stay away from the daughter...(Who gave this woman/man to be Legal Guardian?And the Mother said she learned from the neighbor that Kate & her daughter were having a relationship .. BOGUS ..when in fact it was the New York Times that ran a story on May 21st,2013,clearly stating this : The younger girl’s parents went to the police after learning from a coach, school employees and students that their daughter was having a relationship,according to a report from the Indian River County Sheriff’s office.The parents’information led to the investigation....."Where does it say anything about a Neighbor"? Now,I shot holes in the interview with ease..Of course I watched it 30 times,and the last 5 times I was rolling in my chair falling to the floor.You don't have to be a professor to tell when someone is lying. Ya'll have a Great Memorial Day!!
Exactly WHICH video are you referring to ?

(I saw teh mother and father of the younger girl interviewed on CNN last week).
BS Detector

La Puente, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Gary Herndon wrote:
Now,I shot holes in the interview with ease.
The only thing you have done is made claims. Why are yours any more reliable than anybody else's claims?
Juan

Vero Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

I'll bet she wishes she'd taken the plea now.......she's in deep chit for contacting the little girl.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> The only thing you have done is made claims. Why are yours any more reliable than anybody else's claims?
The "facts" I have seen in the news about this case are so discordant I doubt anyone really knows what has been going on.

BTW did you ever hear of a restraining order being issued prior to Kaitlyn turning 18?

I sure didn't.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> I'd advocate keeping them apart until the minor is 17 because she's now 15 and the separation would be less than a year. Other than that, I really cannot find any real flaw in your argument.
Well said.

I have been attacked many times about this case by certain people. I was not trying to defend child abuse especially one of a sexual nature. But I have watched the stories on this case and the "facts" seem to change as the story unfolds. The first stories said they met before Kaitlyn was 18. Now that "fact" seems to be in error.

In any case my main problem has been the law itself. Why is it not a crime for a 17 y/o to be having sex with someone 44 months younger but not an 18 y/o?

And the denials that this is about the sexuality of the two girls ring very hollow to me.

I have two family members that were sexualkly abused at ages 4 and 5 by a 17 y/o. That wasn't the case here which is why I have been pointing out the hypocrisy I see that this case brings up.

If these two were even 5 years older there would be no crime. No one objects to men marrying trophy wives 25 years younger than they are and Cougars are a big attraction on TV these days.

Was Kaitlyn foolish for disobeying her pre sentencing restrictions? Absolutely. Was that criminal. Yes. Does she deserve extra sanctions because of this. I think so. I just don't see this as rising to the same level of an adult messing with toddlers.
BS Detector

Sherman Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Well said.
... my main problem has been the law itself. Why is it not a crime for a 17 y/o to be having sex with someone 44 months younger but not an 18 y/o?
If an 18 year old had sex with somebody 44 months younger, it's definitely statutory rape. And since an 18 year old is considered an adult, I can see how it would be considered a felony and I would agree with that.
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Well said.
And the denials that this is about the sexuality of the two girls ring very hollow to me.
I disagree but don't claim to have a definitive answer. Are you suggesting it's more about it being a same sex relationship?
DNF wrote:
<quoted text> I have two family members that were sexualkly abused at ages 4 and 5 by a 17 y/o. That wasn't the case here which is why I have been pointing out the hypocrisy I see that this case brings up.
Sorry, I still disagree.
DNF wrote:
<quoted text> If these two were even 5 years older there would be no crime.
Five years for a 15 year old is fully one third of her life.
DNF wrote:
<quoted text> No one objects to men marrying trophy wives 25 years younger than they are...
LOT'S of people object to that! Sure, such relationships are absurd, but they're legal. Big difference.
DNF wrote:
<quoted text> Was Kaitlyn foolish for disobeying her pre sentencing restrictions? Absolutely. Was that criminal. Yes. Does she deserve extra sanctions because of this. I think so.
So do I, and by my count, that's three strikes.
DNF wrote:
<quoted text> I just don't see this as rising to the same level of an adult messing with toddlers.
Agreed. Who said it was the same? And who ever gives a pass to an adult who messes around with toddlers? Hell, even in prison, such pedophiles are targeted because so many inmates were victims of abuse as children.

Anybody who claims to have all the answers to this that will satisfy everybody is either lying, or a fool. Probably both.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text>
If an 18 year old had sex with somebody 44 months younger, it's definitely statutory rape. And since an 18 year old is considered an adult, I can see how it would be considered a felony and I would agree with that.
<quoted text>
I disagree but don't claim to have a definitive answer. Are you suggesting it's more about it being a same sex relationship?
<quoted text> Sorry, I still disagree.
<quoted text> Five years for a 15 year old is fully one third of her life.
<quoted text> LOT'S of people object to that! Sure, such relationships are absurd, but they're legal. Big difference.
<quoted text> So do I, and by my count, that's three strikes.
<quoted text>Agreed. Who said it was the same? And who ever gives a pass to an adult who messes around with toddlers? Hell, even in prison, such pedophiles are targeted because so many inmates were victims of abuse as children.
Anybody who claims to have all the answers to this that will satisfy everybody is either lying, or a fool. Probably both.
I believe that the fact that it is a same sex relationship is the main reason this story has legs.

I agree it's statutory rape.

I've been on Topix over 5 years now. How many statutory rape stories can you recall that got over a dozen Topix threads each?

Oh not 3 strikes laws and that band aid feel good piece of mess. Those laws are as simplistic and full of holes as this one is IMO. Let's be honest plea deals are made all the time to get around 3 strikes laws. And surprise, they tried to make one here as well.

But you nailed it in your last part. "Anybody who claims to have all the answers to this that will satisfy everybody is either lying, or a fool. Probably both."
BS Detector

Sherman Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I believe that the fact that it is a same sex relationship is the main reason this story has legs.
I agree it's statutory rape.
I've been on Topix over 5 years now. How many statutory rape stories can you recall that got over a dozen Topix threads each?
Oh not 3 strikes laws and that band aid feel good piece of mess. Those laws are as simplistic and full of holes as this one is IMO. Let's be honest plea deals are made all the time to get around 3 strikes laws. And surprise, they tried to make one here as well.
But you nailed it in your last part. "Anybody who claims to have all the answers to this that will satisfy everybody is either lying, or a fool. Probably both."
Thank you. And the strike three reference was not about the law, it was an observation that the older girl did a whole bunch of dumb stuff. At least three things. And okay, you may be right over the same sex angle making the story more salacious.

We had better stop agreeing. People will start to talk. And I sincerely thank you for an excellent discussion. Don't know if it's over yet. We'll see. But is has been interesting.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> Thank you. And the strike three reference was not about the law, it was an observation that the older girl did a whole bunch of dumb stuff. At least three things. And okay, you may be right over the same sex angle making the story more salacious.
We had better stop agreeing. People will start to talk. And I sincerely thank you for an excellent discussion. Don't know if it's over yet. We'll see. But is has been interesting.
Glad you explained why you mentioned 3 strikes.

And yes I agree with you people will probably start getting jealous that we are having an adult conversation about this rather than acting like children still in Junior High or grade school.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

The AssTroll Stopper wrote:
<quoted text>
DNF wrote: I've been on Topix over 5 years now. How many statutory rape stories can you recall that got over a dozen Topix threads each?
It got the attention because Kaitlin's mother took it to the media because she wanted to play the Homo card. Then her lawyer had no choice but to go along with it. That's why it got national attention.
Waa Waa waa.

So Kaitlyn's Mom has more influence in cyberspace than your whining.

Get over it.

(It got national attention because folks like you gave it the attention you twit!)

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Waa Waa waa.
So Kaitlyn's Mom has more influence in cyberspace than your whining.
Get over it.
(It got national attention because folks like you gave it the attention you twit!)
Now am I supposed to respond so you won't get your feelings hurt when I ignore you or am I supposed to do what you asked and STFU?

Pick a lane honey.

First you tell me to shut up.

Then you whine when you get ignored by a gay guy.

Sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of52
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Indian River County Discussions

Search the Indian River County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Sebastian's Kaitlyn Hunt released from jail | P... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Juan 1
More than 140,000 sign online petition suportin... (May '13) Nov '13 Juan 10
Kaitlyn Hunt: Obsessed Lesbian Predator? (Aug '13) Oct '13 Juan 10
Kaitlyn Hunt: Back behind bars for her continue... (Aug '13) Sep '13 flbadcatowner 3
Kaitlyn Hunt back in jail (Aug '13) Aug '13 Juan 1
Attorney for Kaitlyn Hunt criticizes prosecutor... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Juan 5
Kaitlyn Hunt, Florida Teen, Arrested and Expell... (May '13) Jun '13 MSO4 31
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••