Peggy Ann Bradnick Jackson to discuss 1966 kidnapping

Full story: Public Opinion

Huntingdon County resident Peggy Ann Bradnick Jackson on April 21 will discuss her May 1966 ordeal, in which she was kidnapped by an ex-convict and held for seven days.
Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Apr 24, 2011
Alan Batterman

Mount Kisco, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

For more information on the Peggy Ann Bradnick kidnapping, read the article "Kidnapped" by Peggy Ann Bradnick in the July 16, 1966 Saturday Evening Post. Also go to the "Peggy Ann Bradnick" site on Wikipedia. The movie was not very accurate. For those not familiar with the geography of central Pennsylvania, State Line is just north of Hagerstown, MD, off I-81.
Alan Batterman

Mount Kisco, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Her name was not Jackson until August 1984, when she married Albert Jackson. So it was Peggy Ann Bradnick who was kidnapped and rescued in 1966.
Sami

Waynesboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

There was also a book written by Bob Cox who received a Pulitzer Prize for his newspaper reporting on this incident. The book was excellent and right on accurate....he was there, so I guess it would be. I remember this incident well...scary. I think the book was "Deadly Pursuit" but I'm not sure. The Rubeck boy who shot at Hollenbaugh was in my homeroom. The police always insisted he didn't kill the kidnapper, but no one around here
ever believed that. Oh, and there was a corny song about "Shady Gap".(Guess "shade" didn't rhyme)
granna

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Sami wrote:
There was also a book written by Bob Cox who received a Pulitzer Prize for his newspaper reporting on this incident. The book was excellent and right on accurate....he was there, so I guess it would be. I remember this incident well...scary. I think the book was "Deadly Pursuit" but I'm not sure. The Rubeck boy who shot at Hollenbaugh was in my homeroom. The police always insisted he didn't kill the kidnapper, but no one around here
ever believed that. Oh, and there was a corny song about "Shady Gap".(Guess "shade" didn't rhyme)
My husband and I went to see her at State Line and she commented on somethings that were reported that were not true...She said a sharp shooter killed him and she was standing an arms length away when he was shot...Some of the things in Mr. Cox were inaccurate she said....Ms. Bradnick was very informative and gave a great talk....It was an honor to meet her...
JLC

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Judged:

I spent 3 days as a civilian vol on that hunt and the word at the time was he was shot by the Rubeck boy but police claimed responsiblity so not to cause reprecussions for the boy. Has anyone else heard that story as I always wondered about it?
Steve

Newport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Judged:

Is anyone planning on recording this and uploading it on youtube? It would be a great watch.
Dan

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Eight day's at shady gap, Peggy Ann could not get back because the mountain man kept her away and eight days she had to stay Peggy Ann. I remember it well, We all loaded up in Dads 56 pontiac and went over the mountain for a ride. I remember there were state police everwhere. Still have the 45 record that was recorded.
oops

Newville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

jlc my friends wife was friends of peggy growing up and they claim the same thing
paul

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Judged:

The one Rubeck boy live in Upper Strasburg, And the other one that was the shooter, He works a LKY. post restaurant manager.
Ryan

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

The Book is Deadly Pursuit by Robert V. Cox originally published in 1977.
Shade Gap Historian

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Judged:

If you walk the woods of Shade Gap late at night you can still hear the mountain man talking.
On Scene

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Judged:

Bicycle Pete was killed by an arrow not a firearm.
Proud American

Hagerstown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Ryan wrote:
The Book is Deadly Pursuit by Robert V. Cox originally published in 1977.
Yep it is a very good book...hard to put down! Bycycle Pete lives on.......
Not according to reports

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

At the Rubeck farm, searchers converged on Hollenbaugh and Peggy Ann. Police officers and 15-year-old Larry Rubeck fired at Hollenbaugh, hitting him in the neck and killing him. Peggy Ann ran toward a couple of the searchers.

At first it was thought that Larry Rubeck had killed Hollenbaugh. That was reported in newspapers published that afternoon, May 18, 1966, and the following morning. Later it was determined that State Trooper Grant H. Mixell fired the fatal shot.
On Scene wrote:
Bicycle Pete was killed by an arrow not a firearm.
LUV4KIDS

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2011

Hmmm...
Sounds like a very interesting book. I'm gonna have to pick up a book. I have been reading these comments and they are are very interesting.
I vaguely remember alot when I was young but I do recall the Peggy Ann story.
My mother worked at Letterkenny Post Resteraunt for 32 years until her passing. Larry was her boss. She loved him to pieces. I met him and talked to him a few times. Awesome fella, Indeed. Always had a beautiful smile. lol
Dave Too

Mercersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2011

Judged:

so how did the Mexican find his way back in the country ?
kangaroo

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2011

Sami wrote:
Bob Cox was a cousin of my father's. The story was titles Deadly Pursuit and I have a signed copy. The song was " Eight days at Shady Gap, Peggy Ann could not get back, Cause the mountain man took her away and eight days she had to stay" Ha, the song was funny and we always sing it and refer to people was see as bicycle pete as was the mountain mans nickmane. Have a good one.
Sherry Rhinehart

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2011

I would like to see it, but can't make it there, can somebody recorded it and post it on Facebook. Thanks.
Anom

Mcconnellsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

Sherry Rhinehart wrote:
I would like to see it, but can't make it there, can somebody recorded it and post it on Facebook. Thanks.
It is on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Huntingdon County Discussions

Search the Huntingdon County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Helping Hands: Centre LifeLink urges community ... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Jak Manson 1
Mount Union PA Snapshot of a Small Town (May '08) Sep '13 theresa 66
Mother of slain boy to speak (Jun '13) Jun '13 Rescue4 2
Possible drowning search put on hold (Aug '12) Aug '12 The man 1
DA: Arrest made in Big Valley rape case (Apr '12) May '12 disgusted 6
Duel Meaning to Unemployment Drop in Huntingdon... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Thetruth 1
PO GUEST ESSAY: Seeking participants for import... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Dan the Man 114
•••
•••