Humboldt County, residents await Titlow Hill resolution

Full story: Eureka Times Standard

The outcome of the case involving local lawyer Ken Bareilles' three apparently illegal Titlow Hill land parcels will go far beyond the courtroom.
Comments
1 - 20 of 56 Comments Last updated Jan 22, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
anonymous

Eureka, CA

#1 Feb 16, 2010
Pure Greed.
Pot City

Arcata, CA

#2 Feb 16, 2010
This amount of illegal lot sales is unprecedented in the county,” Humboldt County Community Development Director Kirk Girard said.

And Kirk Girard is an incompetent buffoon.

When a sale or transfer of land is made, the owners are required to file a deed with the county Recorder's Office, which Bareilles said he has done for all of his transactions. The filed deeds prompt the county's assessor to create parcel numbers for them, which then allows the county to tax the parcels.

The county has perjured itself for accepting property tax money for the AP# it created.

The county and state keep changing the building code regarding septic, they are making it imposable to build. Residential septic can be done inexpensively and efficiently without any HELP form the government. Lets take a close look at the St. Johns septic system. Girard let that setup pass and it is next to a pond. Nice job buffoon Girard.
humbug

Eureka, CA

#3 Feb 16, 2010
Hang this scum out to dry!
Domino 21

Alviso, CA

#4 Feb 16, 2010
I think the county is out of bounds on this one. Had they not been assessing taxes on the lots, then the case might have some merit. But the were collecting taxes on the lots, they accepted the deal. Sorry, but they should have to live with it.

Whether they had any right to abuse the man's private property rights in the first place is a separate issue.
Henry

United States

#5 Feb 16, 2010
What Barelles did is highly illegal.
Sound , again, like the "good ol' boy" system.
They knew there was construction on these properties, roads being built etc. and did nothing.
These lands are, for the most part, under the Williamson Act and are not to be divided. They pay less taxes on these lands when in the Williamson Act.
If there were no permits to change this, it is a crime. If there was constructions without permits, this is a crime ........permits for homes, buildings of any kind, septic permits, water permits etc., etc.

Sounds like Barelles and the people who bought these parcels knew very well that they were breaking the law.
and to be aware of hot houses and suspected pot growers.......these should have been inspected as growing pot was illegal at that time.

Barelles is and attorney and knew very well what he was doing and apparently got the blessing of the county through the "good ol' boy" system.

No one did a thing until complaints started to comein.

Get out the big guns and start doing things right by evicting all the people who bought these properties , removing the structures, correcting any and all roads etc., etc.
Do what is right for a change!!!!!!!!!!
LEAVE THE PEACE

United States

#6 Feb 16, 2010
It seems like theses southerners have a problem with life in humboldt....I hope Ken keeps his license and can provide for his family. The city is trying to reflect their mistake on him.

“Truth is Difficult to Find!”

Since: Dec 07

Eureka/Hoopa, CA

#7 Feb 16, 2010
"Now, some neighboring landowners are saying they are upset over the illegal development and the toll it's taken on the environment."

And the neighbors are not effecting the environment in any way? This statement is just hypocritical; it is okay for what they are doing to the environment, but no one else?

This seems to be the typical double talk of people, everything is okay until there is trouble and then everyone believes what you did was wrong, even though they might have benefitted from your actions or supported it.
BS detector

United States

#8 Feb 16, 2010
girard knew about those parcels long before 2007. what a liar.
Baby

United States

#9 Feb 16, 2010
Stop the "good ol' boy" system .
Put Baralles in jail. Take away his licence to practice law.
He is no better than those running this country.........a CRIMINAL.
He should have considered his family when he decided to break the laws.
LOL

Arcata, CA

#10 Feb 16, 2010
Wow. That's just outright confusing.

Seems like it's the county's fault, if the info in the article is correct (which is often an erroneous assumption when reading a TS article). They agreed to allow him to split up the land. They changed their minds a few years later (through an appeals process). Seems like that kind of thing would be tough to back out of... "about that land I sold you, yeah, I need it back cuz the county changed their effing mind..."
someone stole my name

San Francisco, CA

#11 Feb 16, 2010
How can the county approve a subdivision by giving new lots a parcel number, then claim years later that the owner/subdivider committed a big no-no by dividing the parcels? They didn't know the extent? Give me a break. It sounds like Bareilles is guilty of not being able to meet conditions imposed by the county AFTER the subdivision that the county tacitly approved by issuing APNs. If the county can't fully investigate a new subdivision, they should not allow a lot split. If anyone is at fault here, it looks like the county to me. These laws exist to provide protections for neighbors, and to allow owners a reasonably predictable environment in which to invest. The county blew it here.
justahappycamper

Redding, CA

#12 Feb 16, 2010
Sounds like greed and incompetence meet dumb and dumber. Maximum punishment for all the guilty.
Cootchie Cootchie

Arcata, CA

#13 Feb 16, 2010
You said "TitLow" Tee-Hee
old timer

San Francisco, CA

#14 Feb 16, 2010
The way the story reads, there were mistakes make along the way. Steps by all sides should be taken to to make right the damage done.
The situation here seem complicated but not unique. There probably other occurrences in the County that are not letter of the law.
eurekagov

Sunnyvale, CA

#16 Feb 16, 2010
The real story definitely appears to be what happened at the County office here. There is simply no way such a thing could have gone on for 25+ years without the County and a number of people knowing all about it. How many people bought property there? How many permits were issued? How many tax filings?

County is saying that at no time did they figure out that it was illegal? Somebody needs to lose their job over this over at the planning department without a doubt!

I will also suggest that if Bareilles knowingly subdivided illegal units (after the initial batch which does sound like a shady change) then those units should be closed off, properties bulldozed and he will have to pay the people who bought them plus the fees to undo all the illegal development.

We have to understand the precedent and moral hazard at play here. If the County staff has failed so miserably they must be held accountable and replaced. If the developer has developed some units without any legal authority at all he needs to pay the price and the developments need to be "undeveloped." Any other course of action sends a message that these things are OK.
ExHomebuilder

Eureka, CA

#17 Feb 16, 2010
Sounds like there is plenty of guilt to go around here, but I can't get past the county allowing deeds to be recorded without some sort of review. Not enough staff? Hire me!
Reba

Palo Cedro, CA

#18 Feb 16, 2010
Isn't one of the provisions of Williamson Act land is that the property must continue in Agriculture production? I see nothing to that effect mentioned.
Cutten

AOL

#19 Feb 16, 2010
No, he is not Sara Bareilles dad. He is her uncle, her dad is Paul
anonymous

Redway, CA

#21 Feb 16, 2010
so the st.johns recently moved from santa cruz to live off the grid on a rural piece of land?
Too bad for humboldt co..........seems like all they have done since they got here is spend ALL of their time hiding in the bushes with their binocs and spying on all of their neighbors and reporting back to the sheriffs office and girard

Please ..Go back to santa cruz
Observer

San Leandro, CA

#22 Feb 16, 2010
A quick question....Did the people that purchased the property get a permit to build or did they simply bootleg the houses, etc.?

And if they would have gotten a legal permit then the county would have deemed the parcel legal if I am not mistaken.

If no permit, then the property owner is at fault and should have to clean up the mess themselves.

Ken B. probably did know that what he was doing was wrong, but the county also needs to take a few lumps with this situation. They knew what was going on for far too long and if they didn't then they are even more incompetent than I think they already are.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Humboldt County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Officials: Hoopa fire was arson Jul '14 ktune 1
stuck on you Jun '14 dirty white boy- 1
dirty white boy Jun '14 dirty white boy- 1
Nashville Murder Suspect Arrested In California Apr '14 Exodus 1
E-cigarettes: How should they be regulated? Loc... Mar '14 bud_schmones 28
Sheriff, Eureka Chief to Talk Late-Night Jail R... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Ken Briggs 1
Suddenlink launches Video on Demand (Dec '10) Feb '14 Sudden Dishlink 25
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Humboldt County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••