Bad time to cut funding to community ...

Bad time to cut funding to community colleges

There are 10 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Nov 17, 2008, titled Bad time to cut funding to community colleges. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Historically, during an economic downturn, students turn more than ever to community colleges for workforce training and an affordable alternative to more expensive public and private four-year institutions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Realist

Washington, DC

#1 Nov 17, 2008
Governor O'Malley's dilemma was clear: Either cut funding to educational institutions such as community colleges, or cut funding to CASA of Maryland, the organization that supports all of the illegal immigrants that infest our State. The liberal Democrats that run roughshod over MD desperately want the illegal immigrant vote to ensure that they can remain in power. I know what you're thinking: How can illegals vote? Well just leave that up to O'Malley, CASA, and the MVA. It's sad that education funding takes a back seat to a criminal organization like CASA. My advice to T. James Truby of Howard Community College is to get the word out that the financial hit the students and their parents are receiving is a "gift" from our corrupt governor. Perhaps next election both O'Malley and CASA will be booted out.
Broke Taxpayer

United States

#2 Nov 17, 2008
Good time to cut funding to EVERYTHING...
TU student

Baltimore, MD

#4 Nov 17, 2008
While we are forced to make major cutbacks- it is true that community colleges and public universities will see a rise in students. These institutions needed to be funded adequately for the students to receive their education and lead us out of this recession into the future.

Towson University, the state's growth institution, has seen tremendous growth with minimal state backing. Large institutions like TU are the engines that drive the future workforce for our state and the region.

While we must cut back- there are a lot of reasons to fund public colleges and universities and STOP giving millions to private colleges like JHU (which had the #4 highest private donations last year).
tjbroke

Essex, MD

#5 Nov 17, 2008
If we didn't spend money on artificial turf football fields and useless area beautification programs the county would have money for education.
Magicman

Richmond, TX

#6 Nov 17, 2008
TU student wrote:
While we are forced to make major cutbacks- it is true that community colleges and public universities will see a rise in students. These institutions needed to be funded adequately for the students to receive their education and lead us out of this recession into the future.
Towson University, the state's growth institution, has seen tremendous growth with minimal state backing. Large institutions like TU are the engines that drive the future workforce for our state and the region.
While we must cut back- there are a lot of reasons to fund public colleges and universities and STOP giving millions to private colleges like JHU (which had the #4 highest private donations last year).
When did the state give millions to JHU or any private institution? Interesting charge that you didn't support with any evidence.
Magicman

Richmond, TX

#7 Nov 17, 2008
While I understand your concern, you need to come up with how to keep the finding. Do we raise taxes again or cut funding even more somewhere else? No one wants to see their funding cut, just mentioning the hardships isn't enough of a reason to support yuor arguement. You need to offer alternatives to pay for it.
mike

Dundalk, MD

#8 Nov 17, 2008
am i the only one who is sick and tired of reading about all these people with their hands out....how bad does it have to get for them to pull their hands back....

Since: Aug 08

Linthicum Heights, MD

#9 Nov 17, 2008
Magicman wrote:
While I understand your concern, you need to come up with how to keep the finding. Do we raise taxes again or cut funding even more somewhere else? No one wants to see their funding cut, just mentioning the hardships isn't enough of a reason to support yuor arguement. You need to offer alternatives to pay for it.
And that's the post that hits the issue squarely on the head.

Even given the Sunpapers and Democrats proclivity towards higher taxation, there's only so much money in the pot.

In order to keep your precious college funding, you need to come up with an offset or two.

BTW...do you know why colleges are so expensive?

Government subsidies. Colleges don't have to control spending when there's a huge, bottomless honey pot.

Since: Sep 08

Sykesville, MD

#10 Nov 19, 2008
Realist wrote:
Governor O'Malley's dilemma was clear: Either cut funding to educational institutions such as community colleges, or cut funding to CASA of Maryland, the organization that supports all of the illegal immigrants that infest our State. The liberal Democrats that run roughshod over MD desperately want the illegal immigrant vote to ensure that they can remain in power. I know what you're thinking: How can illegals vote? Well just leave that up to O'Malley, CASA, and the MVA. It's sad that education funding takes a back seat to a criminal organization like CASA. My advice to T. James Truby of Howard Community College is to get the word out that the financial hit the students and their parents are receiving is a "gift" from our corrupt governor. Perhaps next election both O'Malley and CASA will be booted out.
I think you misunderstand - CASA is an acronym, not an hispanic word. The children I've seen advocated for are not from immigrant families...
Kenny

United States

#11 Nov 25, 2008
YouTube - Anyone But Ulman

Looking for contributors.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howard County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Within integrated schools, de facto segregation... Mar '17 noobieR 1
News Illegal Immigration Advocates Trying to Make Ma... Mar '17 kyman 5
News Immigration debate moves to Howard County as po... Jan '17 tomin cali 1
Howard County Arrest Records and Criminal Mugshots (Oct '16) Oct '16 Jim 2
News Chambersburg man finds grave of ancestor, a Civ... (Apr '08) Sep '16 Flesticle5Squubny 17
Bookbags in school (Sep '16) Sep '16 DeanT 1
News Columbia teen, sentenced in 2008 for shooting S... (Aug '10) Dec '15 His BFF 4
More from around the web