Memorial to be held for victims of crime

Apr 22, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Baltimore Sun

To commemorate National Victims' Rights Week , a public memorial ceremony in remembrance of Howard County crime victims will be held at 7 p.m. today at the county government's office complex in Ellicott City. via Baltimore Sun

Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated May 7, 2008
Lisa Morris

Orange Park, FL

#1 May 7, 2008
Are you going to include the officer in your list of victims? He certainly has been victimized by the grand jury and the citizens.

$310 and a few points is all a life is worth? A life that wasn't breaking the law as Stephanie Grissom was doing. Was it really an accident she struck him or was that her intention?

ELLICOTT CITY, Md. The Howard County State's Attorney's Office says a driver who struck and killed a county police officer last year has paid her traffic fines.

Prosecutors say Stephanie Grissom of Columbia paid $310 in fines for speeding and negligent driving. She also received three points on her driving record.

In March, a county grand jury declined to indict Grissom on automobile manslaughter charges.

Police say Grissom was driving 71 mph in a 55-mph zone on Route 32 when she struck Officer Scott Wheeler. The officer was working a speed enforcement detail and had stepped into the road to flag Grissom down when he was struck.
Firefighter Steve

Bethesda, MD

#2 May 7, 2008
Actually, he won't and wouldn't have wanted to be spotlighted during an event like this because it would have taken the spotlight away from the people he served. That's the kind of guy he was.
I do appreciate your thoughts of including him though, he was an awesome guy!!
When the new training academy in the county went in, the drive leading to the building was dedicated as Scott Wheeler drive, as was the stretch of 32 where he was hit. He was also memorialized at headquarters with Randolph Brightwell and other Officers that paid the ultimate sacrifice in Howard County.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howard County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vendor & Craft Event (Jan '14) Jan '14 Jamille 1
Board of Elections declines to certify comprehe... (Nov '13) Dec '13 Smith Mike 2
Maryland: Speed Camera Set On Fire, Spraypainte... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Laughing 1
Columbia teen, sentenced in 2008 for shooting S... (Aug '10) Apr '13 Anonymous 3
Ellicott City or Fulton? (Feb '13) Feb '13 Duke 1
Sewer Billing (Dec '12) Dec '12 Moore 1
Two-alarm fire in Jessup ties up traffic on Rou... (Nov '12) Nov '12 maple 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Howard County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••