Sewer Billing
Moore

Laurel, MD

#1 Dec 20, 2012
I have had it brought to my attention, and verified it by reading the explanation of the water and sewer bill on the Howard County website, that sewer usage is based on the amount of water flowing in. They take the number of gallons that are metered coming in to your abode and multiply it by a magical factor that changes from time to time, and charges you more for the sewage services than the water delivery. That is, what goes down the drain costs more than what came into the property.
So if I water my yard, or empty my hot tub into the ground, that water does not go down the drain, but I am charged for it as if it did. I water my yard and plants to keep everything pretty enough to prevent the homeowners association from threatening me, and like many of us who live in single family units with yards, a high percentage of my water does not enter or put any load on the sewage system. Nevertheless, in principle, and in fact, I probably pay more for sewer usage than a 10 person family who flush vastly more into the system than I do, and who never water their yards.
I would love to have some erudite bureaucrat explain to me how that can be justified. It is obviously unfair and biased to screw those with big lawns and other water uses that do not enter the sewage processing system. Sure, processing sewage is expensive, and I dont mind paying my fair share, but this is not fair. It is an arbitrarily convenient means for the administration to levy a fee based in simplicity of mind and execution, not in fairness or consideration of the citizens.
Factually, the amount of waste flowing into the sewage system can be measured. I'd pay for a device to do it if I were billed for sewage based on the amount that I create. I would save many hundreds of dollars a year. And Oh yes, it would cost a bit to get a fair system physically working. In the end, it would be worth it to the people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howard County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
DMV's Finest - Basketball Team Competing for Za... May '15 DMVsFinest 1
News Former nonprofit CEO pleads guilty to diverting... Mar '15 Frances 1
News Senior living caretaker indicted in abuse of el... Mar '15 Jaden 1
River Hill or Centennial High School? (Nov '14) Feb '15 Claire D 2
Stepparent Support Group (Nov '14) Nov '14 Wonder Woman 1
howard county homeschooling community (Nov '14) Nov '14 HCHomeschooler 1
News Fulton community to testify against proposed co... (Sep '14) Sep '14 ctider 1
More from around the web