Petition circulating to replace EHHS ...

Petition circulating to replace EHHS Head Coach

Posted in the Hickman County Forum

First Prev
of 41
Next Last
U disgrace our community

Lynnville, TN

#1 Oct 1, 2011
Today a petition was circulated in local businesses demanding for the EHHS Head football coach to be booted out and to be replaced with Gary Harris (East Middle football coach). This appears to have the same trademark as the Matt Jones incident 3 years ago. Matt Jones did nothing but try to coach but interferance from parents and a coach did not accompolish the goal they set out to do. It only set us back again. We are a losing team because of you and the tactics use to control what you want. To take a petition and try to publically destroy someone's profession is a disgrace to our community many of us call home. There is more to a team than just winning. Ask the kids how they feel about the coaches. My son says he is treated like a human is suppose to be treated. He's not screamed at and has a opportunity to be a player instead of just playing so the individual picked star player can win the ball games. He doesn't have to deal with temper tamtrons by the coach on and off the field. He's not degraded because he's trying to learn the game and doesn't know everything off the bat. These kids are bonding and the winning will come later if everyone will stop trying to live their childhood dreams through their kids. Our community already has a bad name because of parents screaming 'cheater' and other bad sportsmanship comments. And the example being set for the children is undesireable. As a community WE SUCK! because of the few bullies that continue to destroy everything about the time we start to fly like eagles are suppose to. If it's all about winning then move to Fairview where you will fit in better than you do here and take all the Fairview transplants with you when you go. Go destroy someone else's team and use your power to destroy someone besides Coach King. You have disgraced our community!
Jack Snapper

Lynnville, TN

#2 Oct 2, 2011
I hope this group of people that is behind this stuff is up and getting ready to go to church like I am so they can ask to be forgiven. Any business that has one of these petitions will not get my business ever again. The business is just as bad as the people who allows this trash in their store.
HCHS Alum

La Vergne, TN

#3 Oct 2, 2011
If all the petitioners really wanted the man to be coach they would encourage him to get his teaching license. Makes you wonder why he hasn't gotten them already. Be careful what you wish for!
Donna

Ashland City, TN

#4 Oct 2, 2011
The paper said a couple weeks ago under grand jury indictments "April Lynn Davis, delivery of a controlled substance, Rioxicodone, within 1,000 feet of East Hickman Elementary School: and Michael Wayne Davis, facilitation of that delivery, both felonies, on December 8, 2010. In the same incident, Michael Lynn Davis was charged with delivery of a controlloed substance, Rioxicodone, within 1,000 feet of East Hickman Elementary School, a felony, on February 3, 2011". I cut this out of the paper because I was told he was one of the coaches at the east middle school. He must have went by a nick name. If this is true this is scary when a coach has been charged with this at/near a school that he coached at.
ehhs student

Burns, TN

#5 Oct 2, 2011
To begin with, it is NOT the coaches fault that the team loses. As defined by dictionary.com a coach is a person who TRAINS an athlete or a team of athletes. Coach King is there to do as stated. A sports coach, and especially a high school coach, is only alloted a certain amount of time per week by TSSAA rules. This puts a strain on the coach and team. As a coach, he can only do so much. The time not spent on practice is on the players shoulders. A player has to be devoted to the game to succeed. When players are involved in activities that deminish not only their well-being, but also their physical fitness, such as partying, smoking, and other illegal activities, it decreases the chances of having a successful season. QUIT TRYING TO FIND SOMEONE TO BLAME. Parents need to take a look at the reality of high school and see what goes on and what some probably choose to ignore. Especially when this is only the coach's second season here. Look at the past as well. The coaches before Coach King were at EHHS for a year to two years at most. And why? Because parents seemed to believe they weren't doing their job correctly. When parents expect a winning season with a year working with the students, it's just not realistic. Did the parents know that EHHS is referred to as "the coach graveyard"? The reason behind that is because parents here expect a coach to walk in and work a miracle, which is almost impossible because it takes TIME to build a good team. By the time a coach is showing improvement, this same crap gets pulled and the coach is basically run off. Realize that building a successful team will take time, but coaches around here aren't given that chance. Think about it.
Donna

Ashland City, TN

#6 Oct 2, 2011
ehhs student wrote:
To begin with, it is NOT the coaches fault that the team loses. As defined by dictionary.com a coach is a person who TRAINS an athlete or a team of athletes. Coach King is there to do as stated. A sports coach, and especially a high school coach, is only alloted a certain amount of time per week by TSSAA rules. This puts a strain on the coach and team. As a coach, he can only do so much. The time not spent on practice is on the players shoulders. A player has to be devoted to the game to succeed. When players are involved in activities that deminish not only their well-being, but also their physical fitness, such as partying, smoking, and other illegal activities, it decreases the chances of having a successful season. QUIT TRYING TO FIND SOMEONE TO BLAME. Parents need to take a look at the reality of high school and see what goes on and what some probably choose to ignore. Especially when this is only the coach's second season here. Look at the past as well. The coaches before Coach King were at EHHS for a year to two years at most. And why? Because parents seemed to believe they weren't doing their job correctly. When parents expect a winning season with a year working with the students, it's just not realistic. Did the parents know that EHHS is referred to as "the coach graveyard"? The reason behind that is because parents here expect a coach to walk in and work a miracle, which is almost impossible because it takes TIME to build a good team. By the time a coach is showing improvement, this same crap gets pulled and the coach is basically run off. Realize that building a successful team will take time, but coaches around here aren't given that chance. Think about it.
You know you bring up a good point. Maybe the problem is not the coaches as everyone is quick to blame, but the parents. If parents are not doing their job by making the players go to bed by 9 pm and making them stop the dipping, smoking and drinking then no wonder we have only a few that play like warriors all the time. It's not hard to notice that some players play good every game and some play good sometimes. Everybody knows dipping and smoking not only hampers your physical performance but mentally also. Add texting and facebook posting til wee hours in the morning and you have a player not able to give 100%. One kid even went all day long without eating before a football game this year and had difficulty in playing at all. Coaches only spend a certain amount of time with the players training but much effort and time is wasted if the parents are not doing their job by supporting and enforcing what the kids need to perform at their best. Instead of firing the coaches maybe some parents need to be fired. I do believe some ground rules should be put in place like: If you are disrespectful to the coaches or team (this includes the parents and players) or if a player quits then regardless of how much 'talent' they have they are off the team for the rest of the year-NO EXCEPTIONS! Coaches need to quit catering to the complaining parents and kids and focus strickly on training. If someone is caught dipping or smoking they should be reported and be sent to ISS-NO EXCEPTIONS. Take the politics out of the team and we will be winners in more ways than what the scoreboard shows. Do parents not understand that drama takes away from the team effort and the kids hard work? We got kids upset because they see growth and are learning and enjoy the coaches taking time to actually show them what they need to do to improve. Parents need to stop metalling and understand there is more things imporant than winning and that is kids enjoying the game, being part of a team and being happy doing it. I hope the school board is not bullied by this small group that only sees sucess by the nunbers shown on the scoreboard.
Eagles Fly

Nashville, TN

#7 Oct 2, 2011
I couldn't agree more with the last 2 posts. Even the NFL has strict requirements and work ethics. It is my belief that the parents take the game more serious than the students because if the students were serious they would take better care and pride in themselves. I have personally seen football boys at the shell smoking in public without any regard as to who see's them. So with that being said all these people acting like a lynch mob out to get a coach with there petitions need to take a good long hard look at home.
I spy

Nashville, TN

#8 Oct 2, 2011
"I spy...with my little eye" a welcome wagon real worthy of the name. Way to go for showing new comers a new kind of welcome to the community. Maybe if this welcome wagon was here a few years back many of the names on the petition would not live here to be signing it.
HICKMAN CO RESIDENT

Nashville, TN

#9 Oct 2, 2011
Donna wrote:
<quoted text>You know you bring up a good point. Maybe the problem is not the coaches as everyone is quick to blame, but the parents. If parents are not doing their job by making the players go to bed by 9 pm and making them stop the dipping, smoking and drinking then no wonder we have only a few that play like warriors all the time. It's not hard to notice that some players play good every game and some play good sometimes. Everybody knows dipping and smoking not only hampers your physical performance but mentally also. Add texting and facebook posting til wee hours in the morning and you have a player not able to give 100%. One kid even went all day long without eating before a football game this year and had difficulty in playing at all. Coaches only spend a certain amount of time with the players training but much effort and time is wasted if the parents are not doing their job by supporting and enforcing what the kids need to perform at their best. Instead of firing the coaches maybe some parents need to be fired. I do believe some ground rules should be put in place like: If you are disrespectful to the coaches or team (this includes the parents and players) or if a player quits then regardless of how much 'talent' they have they are off the team for the rest of the year-NO EXCEPTIONS! Coaches need to quit catering to the complaining parents and kids and focus strickly on training. If someone is caught dipping or smoking they should be reported and be sent to ISS-NO EXCEPTIONS. Take the politics out of the team and we will be winners in more ways than what the scoreboard shows. Do parents not understand that drama takes away from the team effort and the kids hard work? We got kids upset because they see growth and are learning and enjoy the coaches taking time to actually show them what they need to do to improve. Parents need to stop metalling and understand there is more things imporant than winning and that is kids enjoying the game, being part of a team and being happy doing it. I hope the school board is not bullied by this small group that only sees sucess by the nunbers shown on the scoreboard.
And drum roll--- u would be correct read the post comments under Zero Tolerance doesn't apply to athletes where football boys were caught smoking.
my right

Nashville, TN

#10 Oct 3, 2011
it's my right to sign a petition

pressure should not be put on businesses that have the petitions

that's messing with democracy and my right

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#11 Oct 3, 2011
It's just a game. From the looks of these posts somebody needs to get on the English teachers.
U disgrace our community

Nashville, TN

#12 Oct 3, 2011
my right wrote:
it's my right to sign a petition
pressure should not be put on businesses that have the petitions
that's messing with democracy and my right
It is also someone's right to choose to be a customer of a business. If I don't like condoms or the herbal incense (some kids like to smoke) that hangs behinds the counter (for sell) then I don't have to do business there. The same goes for a petition that is publically humilitating someone and for what? Not winning ballgames! How stupid. Is winning ballgames the only thing important? I think not. If everyone was as concerned about their child's education and discipline as they are about winning the game, perhaps our kids would not have to be taking remedial classes as they prepare for college. To attack someone personally, for stupid reasons such as winning, is totally uncalled for, un-christian and shows the character of the people who sign it including the one pumping everyone up to take action against another. With the way parents are obsessed with the game, I wonder how many kids are made to play but really doesn't want to. Have you ever ask the players? Kids have to want to play and it doesn't take make players with a bad attitude to destroy the team foundation. How would you feel if you were wearing the shoes of this coach and his family? Would you enjoy this kind of treatment from a community you want to call home? Get your priorities straight and take a close look at what you are doing and for the reason. This is sickening to deal with this every year. If the high school doesn't win the last games, then you are the blame for creating all this drama and taking away the kid's concentration that play ball. Take a minute and listen to Michael Jackson's song 'Man in the Mirror' and think about it. Change needs to be with the parents. http://www.mtv.com/videos/michael-jackson/206...
U disgrace our community

Nashville, TN

#13 Oct 3, 2011
love HC wrote:
It's just a game. From the looks of these posts somebody needs to get on the English teachers.
I think you need to tend to the business in Hendersonville where you live and stay out of our business!
Whats to question

United States

#14 Oct 3, 2011
Yes it would be nice to win more games, but a coach can only teach the players so much. It's the players that have to learn and listen and want to play the game and win. If you want to put a petion out for people to sign why don't you petion for a turning light at 100/7/46. How about a petion for parents that don't take care of their kids( like baths, brushing teeth, helping with their homework, getting to bed at a normal time and getting them up and to school on time, etc..) that they are r taken away from them. A petion for people that think sports is more important than learning how to read, math, and all the other subjects in school.
Ashamed

Nashville, TN

#15 Oct 3, 2011
Whats to question wrote:
Yes it would be nice to win more games, but a coach can only teach the players so much. It's the players that have to learn and listen and want to play the game and win. If you want to put a petion out for people to sign why don't you petion for a turning light at 100/7/46. How about a petion for parents that don't take care of their kids( like baths, brushing teeth, helping with their homework, getting to bed at a normal time and getting them up and to school on time, etc..) that they are r taken away from them. A petion for people that think sports is more important than learning how to read, math, and all the other subjects in school.
I couldn't agree more with you I have seen to many times that athletes are moved on when they can't even read at grade level and they have failed every class, YES people this happens. I know a particular student that plays football when football was over he would come to other events and he would sit with the principle while she helped him with his homework and still he fails it is beyond me why these kids are even allowed to play anything learning should be first and foremost.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#16 Oct 3, 2011
If you think football is more important than getting a good education then you're just plain wrong.
Eagles Fly

Nashville, TN

#17 Oct 3, 2011
I think what ashamed was attempting to say is that education should be first and foremost but that parents and some coaches put football first.
newcomer

White House, TN

#18 Oct 3, 2011
well, I DO FOR SURE know that Coach King is a great person and cares about the boys from what I've seen. i don't know what knd of relationship he has with the boys individually...I don't think anybody is really questioning him on a personal level.If they are, they shouldn't. I do wish that the petitions were not specifically labeled with another coach's name to replace him. I do think Coach Gary Harris is a great coach in all areas of the meaning of the title "Coach".I agree that this is over the top. I realize that this affects his entire family. Keep in mind that these petitions affect Coach Gary Haris and his family as well. e dn't ask for those to be made and put out. I think I'm right when I say Coach King doesn't live in this community which doesn't bother me at all. However what does bother me is that there are so many boys on that football team that waste ever how many hrs a day STANDING and watching during practices. See Coach Kig has to unfortunately shoulder ALL the blame for his coaching staff.Maybe he needs to delegate more responsibility.It's a known and accepted fact that the fist 2 yrs of high school football is a time to pay your dues so to speak. You're not to expect play time. That's the way it always has been over the yrs. But not anymore. Especially when our feeder schools are coaching these young men and successfully winning games and recognition at the middle school level. Why let them start high school and stand idle for a couple of yrs and eventually lose the desire to play the game. WHY aren't the other coaches working with these boys? There are other school teams that play these boys. I don't know why we can't have teams like that. I would really like to hear WHY we don't.But at least keep them in shape and in the swing of things by practicing them. I see other schools with freshman,jv AND varsity teams. We have enough coaches to be working with these boys instead of letting them stand idle everyday. It's a WASTE of their time. Also these boys could be using that class time to accumulate another 1/2 to 1 full elective or other type of credit towards their education.I've read so far that if we want different ways of doing things then go elsewhere or to Fairview and take the transplants with us. We shouldn't have to go elsewhere and pay out of county fees.We pay our taxes in this community same as everyone else. We deserve to be able to voice our likes and dislikes about how things are handled. I personally think there are too many appointed positions in this county that should be voted on instead. But you see, this IS my right to my opinion.There is enough talent and support in this community to have a great football program.That has been shown in the past several yrs at the middle school level and NOT just this undefeated season. But I feel our time given to this program is being misused. I haven't heard of ANY of our coaches mistreating players or playing favorites so that's a great thing. Now there have been questionable things I've heard that have happened and weren't dealt with as should of been under zero tolerance. I do know and have seen players dipping during practices and coaches know it's happeneing so tell me what should be done about that.I'm glad that next yrs changes of no sports during school hrs is happening, or at least suppose to.But if something doesn't change about the amount of time that is set aside for football that's not being used to work with these boys, then my son doesn't even want to do football. Yea I suppose some may read that and say well then don't play. But I'll tell you now that my son is committed to his sports AND his academics. So when you are losing players that succeed academically and excel in their sports of choice, then the community loses out whether you see that or not. So in short for me, it's not just winning the game, it's teaching the game and all it has to offer if it's coached right and the time is used wisely.
NLF Bound

Nashville, TN

#19 Oct 3, 2011
To newcomer: 1st when my child played middle & high school football he watched the game from the bench in the 6th grade, played a little in the 7th grade and played pretty often in the 8th grade. Why? It's called bigging bigger in the 8th grade and being more competitive because of size. Now. He watched the game from the side lines in the 9th and some of the 10th. But in the 11th he played more and was a starter in the 12th. Why? Because of being more competitive because of size. Let's look at this in another way. Any parent that is hell-bent for their kid to play that weighs 120 lbs and is 5 foot tall is gonna get hurt when the big senior that is 6'4" & weighing 220lbs tackles or falls on them. Now if this 9th grader gets hurt how is that coach gonna be able to use him when he finally grows enough where he's not flattened like a pancake when big senior falls on him. The reason kids gets to play in the 8th grade and the 11th & 12th grade has a lot to do with safety and some refers to this as being the pecking order. So you do your time watching and waiting until the good Lord above gives you enough testerone to where you grow to be big and strong so you can flatten the little guy so all the momma's and daddy's can scream and holler about how bad the coach is for not playing little Eddie. So damn if you do and damn if you don't. Safety comes first cause really the talent does no good if the kid gets hurt to where the talent can't be used. That's the reason Coach's usually don't play freshman unless they have the size to compete safety.
newcomer

White House, TN

#20 Oct 3, 2011
to NFL bound: Reread my post. I said I wanted to know why they don't do anything with the younger ones like other schools are doing, not that i wanted my son to play varsity.LOL I know all about the safety aspect of it all trust me. You just misunderstood what I posted. Other than that I agree with all you say. :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 41
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hickman County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How can a convicted Felon be on a Volunteer fir... (Dec '11) Apr '17 Concerned Human 116
Sheriff's Election (May '10) Apr '17 United93x 97
hickman county sheriff deputy ABUSE OF THE BADGE (Jan '08) Mar '17 Framed by cops 85
Single Wides in Hickman County (Jan '11) Mar '17 Jimmy 16
Steve Shaw - Baseball cosch Mar '17 Concerned 1
Possible meth/crack house in bon aqua (Oct '16) Mar '17 Bolt 7
HCSD what a joke! (Sep '13) Mar '17 Hickmanite 4 lyf 21
More from around the web