Mt Markham Elementary Principal charged, accused of using excessive force with student

Feb 8, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WKTV

The principal of an elementary school in Herkimer County has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child after authorities say he used excessive force to restrain a child at the school.

Comments
1 - 20 of 44 Comments Last updated Aug 20, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Know him

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Judged:

I've known Jim LaFountain for years and I don't believe he would ever put a child in danger. I'd like to know what happened.
krx

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Judged:

No one knows what happened. Its extremely irresponsible reporting, akin to the kind certaim utica pheonix writers do. The guy could have savagely choked a kid or he could have just been restraining him during a tantrum so the kid didn't hurt himself or others. Boo wktv, now a bunch of people are going to automatically think this guy is an abuser when there's no facts yet.
Another voice

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

I too know Jim and have known him in many capacities for many years. I cannot conceive of a situation in which he wouldn't have taken the utmost care to do the right thing for ALL involved. I think sometimes that means that you over react on behalf of say, the safety of others to the detriment of the one. But Jim is a great person. So I am very frustrated to not know more details at this point.
r rudd

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Judged:

Know him wrote:
I've known Jim LaFountain for years and I don't believe he would ever put a child in danger. I'd like to know what happened.
guilty
vic

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Judged:

One of the problems facing school districts is they are afraid to use physical force, period. Therefore children are out of control. Obviously we were not there to see what occured, but my guess would be the force was necessary.
What

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Jimmy was a punk as always will be a punk.
real story

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

I too would like to know the entire story. 'Regular' public schools do not allow or teach you about unsafe situations and how to deal with them. Who knows maybe the student didn't belong in that school. Maybe they needed more staffing/ more restrictions.
ND Baseball

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Judged:

I played for Coach LaFountain at ND and he has always been a hothead. Don't come defending him. He was always threatening us, throwing bats at us and would tell us to go file a complaint because no one would touch him. As he would say, "I own this county".

This is not an isolated incident. It just took Herkimer County to finally get him because Oneida County has been protecting him for decades. He's part of the good old boys club.
oh please

Waterloo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Judged:

He had a hold of the little bastards collar, how do you call that exessive force. Sounds like mommy, daddy, or baby mommy or daddy wants to make a few bucks.
tisk

Key Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Judged:

your riding high in april, shot down in may... i wonder what Jill Andrews has to say about this?
Mounty Markham Mom

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Judged:

I have been impressed with Jim LaFountain but I have good kids who are polite, respect authority and listen. I wonder who the teacher is that reported this....I am sure a slacker teacher who was rattled by Jim doing his job and walking into classrooms unannounced!
smalltownpolitic s

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Judged:

Mounty Markham Mom wrote:
I have been impressed with Jim LaFountain but I have good kids who are polite, respect authority and listen. I wonder who the teacher is that reported this....I am sure a slacker teacher who was rattled by Jim doing his job and walking into classrooms unannounced!
you hit the nail on the head there, Jim Lafountin has been rattling the cages over there at good ol' mount markham elementary!! Those teachers are pissed Lafountin is making them "actually" work!! Parents beware those teachers don't give a crap about your kids!! How sad that a district finally gets someone in there that wants to see the kids succeed and the good ol' small town politics overpower that, everyone knows its true but is afraid to speak up for fear of loosing their jobs!!If parents only knew what these "teachers" really thought of them they blame everything on the parents it's not their fault the kid is failing ohhhhhh no it's the parents fault! Teachers have alot of power in school districts and their unions back them up! Jim Lafountin is a good man and those teachers at the elementary school should be ashamed of themselves!!!
all american

Roxbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

He has always been cocky and arrogant. A real hothead. Jus' sayin'.
Really

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

How does a guy like Jim, who has a college degree in physical education and ran a gym become a principal???
Jim has always been an arrogant guy---hey Jim, "what goes around, comes around." Good thing your parents have one great son, Tom !
Sue for Slander

Interlaken, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

When he is clear of all of this, I wonder if he can sue for Slander.
mt markham grad 08

Clinton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

LaFountain would never harm a child. The video of the "incident" should be made public after he's found innocent. The kid probably freaked out and needed to be restrained.
bottom line

Cortland, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

Mounty Markham Mom wrote:
EXACTLY! If you have respectful kids you won't have a problem with ANYBODY! It's the disrespectful kids who come from disrespectful parents that are ALWAYS the problem!But unfortunately thats the world we live in...
South Utican

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Really wrote:
How does a guy like Jim, who has a college degree in physical education and ran a gym become a principal???
Jim has always been an arrogant guy---hey Jim, "what goes around, comes around." Good thing your parents have one great son, Tom !
You have no idea about Jims college degrees , so you make an uninformed comment about his qualifications
South Utican

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

Really wrote:
Is that the Tom who was running around on his then wife years ago , got caught, got divorced ? Jim has been married to the same women for well over 30 years, raised 3 great kids , and is a proud granpa, and yes he is a hard ass , maybe school kids could use alittle more of that. Thats why they get away with so much, cause they know they just have to cry to mommy and daddy, and they will make it all better
knowwhatimtalkin gabout

Baldwinsville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

I went to high school with Jimmy and was a member of his gym for a long time. His dad was a tough guy, overall a good family. There is more to this story than meets the eye. Personally, I like the guy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Herkimer County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No Charges Against Dolgeville Man Who Left Chil... Aug 13 things will never... 16
Ilion Man Charged With Forcable Touching Aug 10 hello 4
Rabid fox confirmed in the area of Newport Jul '14 dairy maid 5
Seward Announces Grant Funds For Local Libraries Jul '14 justice for sum 1
Proposed meat processing plant could bring 65 j... (Aug '13) Jul '14 Valley Hoe 70
Sheriff Farber to run for 101st State Assembly ... Jul '14 soooo 3
In NY22, Republican Hanna withstands tea party ... Jun '14 Utica Lies and Ri... 2

Search the Herkimer County Forum:
•••