Herkimer County lawmakers discuss Cou...

Herkimer County lawmakers discuss Country Manor's future

There are 29 comments on the WKTV - News - Local story from Oct 7, 2009, titled Herkimer County lawmakers discuss Country Manor's future. In it, WKTV - News - Local reports that:

HERKIMER, N.Y. - Lawmakers in Herkimer County once again discussed the possibility of Valley Health Services in Herkimer taking over the Country Manor facility.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKTV - News - Local.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Just wondering

Oriskany Falls, NY

#1 Nov 5, 2009
Is the county legally obligated to pay for this place, or is this one of those "we've always been doing it this way" kind of things?
yup

Reading, PA

#2 Nov 5, 2009
Just wondering wrote:
Is the county legally obligated to pay for this place, or is this one of those "we've always been doing it this way" kind of things?
you got it we've always been doing it this way" kind of things?
baffled

Oriskany Falls, NY

#3 Feb 5, 2010
A recent newspaper article said Valley Health Services is offering to take this place off the county's hands by buying the place for one dollar, having the county terminate all employees, and having the county pay at least one million dollars to Valley Health Services. Valley Health Services is also expected to get a state grant. The article also said only about half of the beds are full.

I went to the county's web site and it said there are only 80 beds at that place and it isn't a place for people with a high need for medical attention. If the newspaper article is correct, there are only 40 beds being used. Why doesn't the county move these people to other non-county facilities in the area, terminate the employees, and SELL the building? I'm sure they would be able to find an interested buyer who will pay more than a dollar.

I hope I'm missing something and that the county will fill in the blanks. Otherwise, this sounds just plain stupid.
Abs

AOL

#4 Feb 6, 2010
To the people living at the Country Manor, it is not a "placement" where anyone "puts" you. It is their home. The staff do wonders for the residents who really have grown attached to them. The place has an informal, "family" feel to it. Residents are not infirm enough to need nursing home care, just have medical needs such that living alone is just not feasible anymore.

The deceptive practices of the legislators and Wallace have caused the residents anxiety and sadness. I'm pretty certain the legislator representing them has not set foot in the Country Manor and spoken to any of the residents. They simply are not being represented by anyone in the legislature. My question is this: If staff at Valley Health Services could apply for and receive a grant to run the Country Manor, why wouldn't Wallace allow Herkimer County staff to do likewise? This is one of the pitfalls of having a leader who is not elected. He does what he wants to do. My understanding is that Wallace just does not want the County to be involved with the Country Manor and will not allow any efforts to obtain funding which is clearly there. My prayers goes out to all of the residents of the Country Manor. Really, it could be anyone of us in that situation. Hopefully, we all will live to grow old. We may outlive our families. What then? God bless them.
10 Year Elected Official

Cicero, NY

#5 Feb 6, 2010
I do not concur, it is not Mr. Wallace. You should loook at your elected officials, the FEW who are running the legislature. Things are getting very ugly. Time to expose the fraud lies and other tax payer ripoffs. Maybe you should start a political DEEP THROAT BOARD and see what comes out.

Since: Feb 10

Syracuse, NY

#7 Feb 7, 2010
I have lived ih Herkimer for over 40 years and feel now that the county legislature is controlled by 3 members. These people have been wanting to rid the county of the Country Manor for a very long time.I feel that the selling of the Manor should be brought to a referendum and voted on by the taxpayers of the county. It is too important to leave to a few who seem to have their own agenda. To have to pay VHS $1,000,000.00 to rid us of the Manor seems very wrong.
It seems to me that these legislators would much rather have a 35 million dollar jail we don,t need for people we don't want from other counties to have to pay for. Everyone gets older and may need a decent caring place to live after paying taxes all their lives. It seems to me that these few legislators would much rather have a bunch of felons who owe society a dept living here than good people who have payed their taxes and lived good lives here in Herkimer County.
Bob Cat

AOL

#8 Feb 7, 2010
What they are doing to the Country Manor is wrong. The people that live there are not "throw aways." I have no respect for Herkimer County's leadership.
County Resident

West Monroe, NY

#9 Feb 9, 2010
Our legislature has totally forgotten who they are there to represent. Follow the money; this Valley Health "deal" wouldn't be happening unless someone either in the Legislature or their cronies who put them there wasn't going to make money on the deal. They could care less for the residents of the Country Manor or the employees. They are nothing but an inconvenience or pond scum to them. This County is being allowed to rot by the powerful few who will benefit personally and then leave. You watch and see.
Just saying

Manlius, NY

#10 Feb 9, 2010
Abs wrote:
To the people living at the Country Manor, it is not a "placement" where anyone "puts" you. It is their home. The staff do wonders for the residents who really have grown attached to them. The place has an informal, "family" feel to it. Residents are not infirm enough to need nursing home care, just have medical needs such that living alone is just not feasible anymore.
The deceptive practices of the legislators and Wallace have caused the residents anxiety and sadness. I'm pretty certain the legislator representing them has not set foot in the Country Manor and spoken to any of the residents. They simply are not being represented by anyone in the legislature. My question is this: If staff at Valley Health Services could apply for and receive a grant to run the Country Manor, why wouldn't Wallace allow Herkimer County staff to do likewise? This is one of the pitfalls of having a leader who is not elected. He does what he wants to do. My understanding is that Wallace just does not want the County to be involved with the Country Manor and will not allow any efforts to obtain funding which is clearly there. My prayers goes out to all of the residents of the Country Manor. Really, it could be anyone of us in that situation. Hopefully, we all will live to grow old. We may outlive our families. What then? God bless them.
You actually have hit the nail on the head. The non-elected administrator, along with the non-elected county attorney have way to much influence over Herkimr County purse strings! Further, a long hard look needs to be taken regarding the pay scale for these non-elected positions. Ask yourself, how do these people continue to receive these (huge) salaries, when they are closing/selling places like the Country Manor? These positions should be as elected officials so that they too are answerable to the people of this county, and not their friends that have a direct impact on their pay! Just a thought...
Cathy

AOL

#11 Feb 9, 2010
I agree with you. Mr Wallace seems accountable to certain legislators...not to "the people." I am angry beyond expression at how the Country Manor issue has been and is being handled. I know I am not alone in how I feel.
sadbuttrue

AOL

#12 Feb 9, 2010
Cathy wrote:
I agree with you. Mr Wallace seems accountable to certain legislators...not to "the people." I am angry beyond expression at how the Country Manor issue has been and is being handled. I know I am not alone in how I feel.
I agree that Wallace's position should be elected. Entirely too much power, and he is ruled by a "very important few". The position of an attorney that works for a municipality should be hired by that municipality.
Does anyone know why Wallace's position is not elected? Is there a difference between the title of County Administrator and County Executive?
Cathy

AOL

#13 Feb 9, 2010
I would be in favor of the position being elected. I think many would be.

Syracuse, NY

#14 Feb 10, 2010
To make the County Administrator an elected position there has to be a change in the county charter. It can be done because it was done in '68. That is why we are in a pickle now.
If things keep going the way that they are going now, The only thing left in the county will be the legislators.
ConnieV

AOL

#15 Feb 10, 2010
Who was in control prior to 1968?

Syracuse, NY

#16 Feb 10, 2010
I really do not know. I was only 21 and did not pay any attention then. I learned this from an ex. legislator.
County Resident

West Monroe, NY

#17 Feb 10, 2010
Before the Legislature, there was a Board of Supervisors. I don't know the reasoning behind the change of name. It was before my time. But the fact remains that this County is being ruined by a few greedy, and narrow-minded people. These people are working part-time hours and collecting a full-time employee's health insurance and are in the retirement system. Once they hit the 10 year mark, they are set for life. For God's sake, they won't spend money on a modern computer system for the various offices, but they'll make sure that they take benefits they shouldn't be taking. I just wonder how these people can even look themselves in the mirror.
When is enough

AOL

#18 Feb 11, 2010
County Resident wrote:
Before the Legislature, there was a Board of Supervisors. I don't know the reasoning behind the change of name. It was before my time. But the fact remains that this County is being ruined by a few greedy, and narrow-minded people. These people are working part-time hours and collecting a full-time employee's health insurance and are in the retirement system. Once they hit the 10 year mark, they are set for life. For God's sake, they won't spend money on a modern computer system for the various offices, but they'll make sure that they take benefits they shouldn't be taking. I just wonder how these people can even look themselves in the mirror.
But yet they keep getting elected! Greedy, Greedy, Greedy!
Richard

Murrysville, PA

#19 Feb 11, 2010
County Resident wrote:
The County Legislators pay a percentage of their health insurance, as do other County and State employees. Upon retirement, they will continue to pay a percentage. They don't get anything for nothing. Do some research before you make false statements.
When is enough

AOL

#20 Feb 12, 2010
Richard wrote:
<quoted text>The County Legislators pay a percentage of their health insurance, as do other County and State employees. Upon retirement, they will continue to pay a percentage. They don't get anything for nothing. Do some research before you make false statements.
What percent do they pay, and what kind of coverage do they get? Is'nt it for life also?
Jesus Jones

Herkimer, NY

#21 Feb 12, 2010
Like I have said on here many times before, the only way to fix this county is by electing new officials and getting rid of all of the old ones. Yes, that's right! All of them. Even the good ones are tainted by the way this county has allowed certain families to remain in so called power. The County Home is a valuable and needed service to the people of this valley.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Remington seeks to restructure debt so it can o... Apr '18 UNIONMAN 2
News No jobs losses in Ilion from Remington Arms ban... Apr '18 UNIONMAN 1
News Cold Case: Unsolved 1968 upstate New York murde... Apr '18 Wondering 2
Rob and sue christiano Mar '18 Culver 3
News Do You Know What That Monument Stands For in On... (Aug '16) Dec '17 Ie have a job 6
News Cause of baby's fatal head injury still being p... (Oct '11) Dec '17 Mind your busines... 31
News Herkimer organization takes steps toward creati... (Sep '17) Sep '17 herkimerNOW dot org 1